Alcohol

Watch
YourClassLiberal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why do young people like to drink in large quantities? What do you think is behind the culture of drinking alcohol?
mechengineer8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well because it feels good
YourClassLiberal
Rep:
?
(Original post by mechengineer8)
well because it feels good
But why is there such a culture around drinking in excess quantities when it’s so bad for you and makes people make bad decisions?
BluMoon06
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im 14 and drink on special occasions but its never a large quantity. its usually half a cup and its mixed with lemonade. i dont understand why other people drink in large quantities
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To drown their sorrows. Why else would anyone get drunk?
ruqaiyahhhhh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
makes you forget everything i guess same with drugs and yum a vodka and red bull
YourClassLiberal
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymouslmao)
makes you forget everything i guess same with drugs and yum a vodka and red bull
Is it healthy to drink so that you forget everything? Why not own up to your problems?
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YourClassLiberal)
Is it healthy to drink so that you forget everything? Why not own up to your problems?
Because it’s nice to forget them sometimes
-Imperator-
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's really funny to drink a lot with friends. If you're by yourself, then there's not really any good reason to.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because it's fun. Your inhibitions are lowered so conversations can get a lot more interesting.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do young people like to drink in large quantities? What do you think is behind the culture of drinking alcohol?

People like to drink because it chemically alters their thought patterns in a way that allows them to unwind, let their hair down and have fun. The binge drinking that plays a major part in “lad culture” just stems from the fact that we’re competitive and tribal critters.

If you put a group of young lads in a bar they will always be curious about who can drink the most without throwing up/passing out. They’ll also speculate on who would win in a fight hypothetically between any member of their own group and whether their group could beat that other group over there. We have a weird need to find out how much we and our mates can stand and who’s body is the most impervious. We feel safer knowing this stuff. 🧐
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Idk if its reallly a culture, just seems like a lot of young people like alchohol and thats to be expected since they want to let off some steam from stuff like uni, work etc and some feel pressured into doing it
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just enjoy it. Me Ma says it's the genes. Never really done the 'lad' thing, but I can hold my ale really well and very rarely end up drunk, much less vomiting or passed out.
mathsboy01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found myself in the position where i drank a bit during university but it happened because I moved away from home and was wanting something to do in the evening/into music in the clubs. and peer pressure I guess, even if I imagined it.
spanker
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm Spanker and I'm.. Drinking right now!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Come back week for 'Why do people wear different colours?'
YourClassLiberal
Rep:
?
(Original post by IanDangerously)
People like to drink because it chemically alters their thought patterns in a way that allows them to unwind, let their hair down and have fun. The binge drinking that plays a major part in “lad culture” just stems from the fact that we’re competitive and tribal critters.

If you put a group of young lads in a bar they will always be curious about who can drink the most without throwing up/passing out. They’ll also speculate on who would win in a fight hypothetically between any member of their own group and whether their group could beat that other group over there. We have a weird need to find out how much we and our mates can stand and who’s body is the most impervious. We feel safer knowing this stuff. 🧐
But what difference does it make who can drink more?
Last edited by YourClassLiberal; 1 month ago
iamthicccccc1405
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
to feel better about your problems
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But what difference does it make who can drink more?

It doesn’t make any difference really it’s just an excuse to be competitive. We like being better at things than those around us ... even the silliest things like who can drink the most, who has the wittiest banter or who’s the best on the karaoke. Nobody likes to lose! 😂
YourClassLiberal
Rep:
?
(Original post by iamthicccccc1405)
to feel better about your problems
But it won’t make your problems go away, people should face up to them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads