angel444
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I was wondering if anybody had any major tips for doing higher French and remembering the oral exam?
jcarreon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
as in GCSE higher?
if that isn't what you meant, these tips might help you in general anyway:
• put post-it notes with essential vocab on things you see everyday or what you might associate with that word e.g. 'la porte' on a door
• try to communicate and respond to your friends and family in french - this will help you get into speaking conversational french
• try teaching your friends and family some French vocab (a form of active recall)
• watch french films and series! when watching a film or series on Netflix etc., put subtitles into French and audio in English and vice versa
• quizlet helps a lot with learning vocab and sentences
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A tip for improving your speaking skills, in general, is to integrate French into your life a bit. It's really hard to go from speaking English to speaking French in a couple of minutes, so getting used to making the change by talking to yourself in French sometimes, and perhaps finding a penfriend who you can DM - messaging can be great as you can practice communicating spontaneously in French without thinking about accent etc, making speaking a lot easier when you're having a face to face conversation with someone! Other than that, jcarreon has suggested some great stuff!
jcarreon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
A tip for improving your speaking skills, in general, is to integrate French into your life a bit. It's really hard to go from speaking English to speaking French in a couple of minutes, so getting used to making the change by talking to yourself in French sometimes, and perhaps finding a penfriend who you can DM - messaging can be great as you can practice communicating spontaneously in French without thinking about accent etc, making speaking a lot easier when you're having a face to face conversation with someone! Other than that, jcarreon has suggested some great stuff!
yes deffo, having a french penpal is soo helpful!
(and tiktok is actually a really useful resource too ngl haha)
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by jcarreon)
yes deffo, having a french penpal is soo helpful!
(and tiktok is actually a really useful resource too ngl haha)
I can't comment on tiktok, but I always find HelloTalk/ Tandem helpful - just have to make sure you're aware of the risks that come with those sorts of apps. I've mainly only spoken to really lovely people, but there will always be one.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
workbooks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads