Student finance and coeliac disease

Watch
s14n.l
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I've seen a few similar posts to this but they seem massively outdated so this is aimed towards people who have applied for DSA with coeliac before. I have seen a few conflicting results to students applying to for DSA with coeliac, with some people receiving, whether this be having your own fridge, toaster or grants for more expensive GF food, and others who have received nothing. I have put in an application regardless because there is nothing to lose and I'll update this post whenever I receive an answer/after the assessment. Just interested in hearing about other people's experience with this.

UPDATE: I just came out of my DSA assessment and they will be covering equipment and software to help with times in which cross contamination has occurred etc in which I may be too ill to attend lectures etc which is super useful. DSA advised me to apply for the uni's own extra funding for the things previously mentioned in the post.
Last edited by s14n.l; 2 months ago
Lovesick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You will not get grants for GF food, toasters etc. DSAs are to meet additional study related costs incurred purely because of your disability. For example, you will need GF food whether or not you were studying. Hope that makes sense.
Charlottehollyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by s14n.l)
I've seen a few similar posts to this but they seem massively outdated so this is aimed towards people who have applied for DSA with coeliac before. I have seen a few conflicting results to students applying to for DSA with coeliac, with some people receiving, whether this be having your own fridge, toaster or grants for more expensive GF food, and others who have received nothing. I have put in an application regardless because there is nothing to lose and I'll update this post whenever I receive an answer/after the assessment. Just interested in hearing about other people's experience with this.
I have coeliac disease and will be going to Oxford University in September. I applied for DSA last week and have been advised that I am eligible. My study needs assessment is next week, so will hopefully be able to give you more information about how it goes after that
Charlottehollyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lovesick)
You will not get grants for GF food, toasters etc. DSAs are to meet additional study related costs incurred purely because of your disability. For example, you will need GF food whether or not you were studying. Hope that makes sense.
You definitely won't for food, you're right. But for toasters and fridges etc, you might. As you wouldn't be in a situation of having to share a kitchen with strangers if you weren't studying. Sharing a fridge is next to impossible with a severe food issue. If someone accidentally uses your butter, it can make you very ill for weeks in some cases
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lovesick)
I get what you're saying totally, but you forget that DSA is also there to recognise and support students with any health condition that could affect their studies. As coeliac is an autoimmune disorder that can result in experiencing physical symptoms during a flare up, this could affect their studies and they may need additional support for this. Also as someone else said, it may be beneficial for them to have their own fridge to avoid contamination and to prevent roommates from eating their GF food.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
29.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (110)
55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8%

Watched Threads