a level psychology

Watch this thread
annamrsn
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hiya, i'm deciding on my a level options in the next few days and am conflicted as to what to take for my 4th choice (to drop after year 12). i wanted to know what psychology is about/what kinds of things it covers and is useful for? (for reference my other a levels are going to be maths, bio and chem but i can't decide between economics or psychology)
KamPo
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by annamrsn)
hiya, i'm deciding on my a level options in the next few days and am conflicted as to what to take for my 4th choice (to drop after year 12). i wanted to know what psychology is about/what kinds of things it covers and is useful for? (for reference my other a levels are going to be maths, bio and chem but i can't decide between economics or psychology)
I cant help you im sorry.
axxxxxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hii do you have a rough idea of what you want to do at uni? It's not essential but it would really help in planning. I think A-level psychology syllabus vary slightly depending on the exam board but I do think they share some features. At it's core, psychology (at A level) will introduce you to psychological studies, methodological issues, report writing, interpreting psychological data analysis/ results, critical thinking, various theories and approaches, etc. Have you tried looking at the syllabus of psychology for your exam board? Most of the time there should be a document indicating what the subject entails. You should be able to find out the topics offered e.g. clinical psych, organisational psych...

I can't answer for economics though but I did psych, bio, chem and maths at A-levels (probably a different exam board than yours). It's a pretty decent combination. Unless you're thinking of doing an economics degree or something then taking econs at a-levels would benefit you. Hope this helps!
KamPo
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by axxxxxa)
Hii do you have a rough idea of what you want to do at uni? It's not essential but it would really help in planning. I think A-level psychology syllabus vary slightly depending on the exam board but I do think they share some features. At it's core, psychology (at A level) will introduce you to psychological studies, methodological issues, report writing, interpreting psychological data analysis/ results, critical thinking, various theories and approaches, etc. Have you tried looking at the syllabus of psychology for your exam board? Most of the time there should be a document indicating what the subject entails. You should be able to find out the topics offered e.g. clinical psych, organisational psych...

I can't answer for economics though but I did psych, bio, chem and maths at A-levels (probably a different exam board than yours). It's a pretty decent combination. Unless you're thinking of doing an economics degree or something then taking econs at a-levels would benefit you. Hope this helps!
i think it helped more then i did 😂
annamrsn
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by axxxxxa)

at the moment i'm thinking of going into medicine- and so psych would probably be the most relevant i think? i've looked at a few of the exam specs but i'm not sure which exam board i'd be using for it at sixth form. how do you find the workload with all the subjects and balancing them ect?
axxxxxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
at the moment i'm thinking of going into medicine- and so psych would probably be the most relevant i think? i've looked at a few of the exam specs but i'm not sure which exam board i'd be using for it at sixth form. how do you find the workload with all the subjects and balancing them ect?
Heyy, yeap that combination (with psych) is fine for medicine! Some take physics instead of psych but that's not essential. I found chemistry to be the toughest out of them all (which I think most people would say the same – A level chem is notorious for that haha). But it's nothing you can't fix without constant practice!

Balancing was not an issue since it was just 4 subjects so you have time to spread them out throughout the week. A-levels is really just about familiarising yourself with past exam papers; it's very repetitive. As long as you understand the concepts and practice past papers, you're good! In terms of workload, well, it was a lot at the beginning as we were just learning the new stuff, but towards the end nearer the exams we were just doing as many past paper exam questions as we can. So it can seem daunting at the start but once you understand the concepts and topics, it gets easier along the way Just be systematic (and strategic) in your work planning and you should be able to keep on top of your workload.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.7%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.32%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.28%

Watched Threads