The Student Room Group

Struggling with A2 integration

I am having a really hard time doing integration, I thought A2 differentiation was tough enough but A2 integration showed me it only gets worse.

My teacher teaches 1 subtopic in each lesson, so if I have a double, it'll be 2 subtopics in less than 2 hours, I really can't do it. I haven't understood the last subtopic and they're already rushing through the next one.

My friends who do further maths seem to be coping fine with their timetable and I'm flopping with just 3-4 subtopics per week.

I don't even know what I'm struggling with anymore, we're nearly finished with whole of chapter 11 in the Edexcel maths textbook and I have no clue in what I've been doing for the past few weeks.

Does anyone have time where I can pm them some questions?
I'm honestly really dumb when it comes to maths so it will probably take loads of explaining for me to get it (sorry).

Comment or pm me if you can help a bit, I'll really appreciate it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hellowo
I am having a really hard time doing integration, I thought A2 differentiation was tough enough but A2 integration showed me it only gets worse.

My teacher teaches 1 subtopic in each lesson, so if I have a double, it'll be 2 subtopics in less than 2 hours, I really can't do it. I haven't understood the last subtopic and they're already rushing through the next one.

My friends who do further maths seem to be coping fine with their timetable and I'm flopping with just 3-4 subtopics per week.

I don't even know what I'm struggling with anymore, we're nearly finished with whole of chapter 11 in the Edexcel maths textbook and I have no clue in what I've been doing for the past few weeks.

Does anyone have time where I can pm them some questions?
I'm honestly really dumb when it comes to maths so it will probably take loads of explaining for me to get it (sorry).

Comment or pm me if you can help a bit, I'll really appreciate it!

hey, i’m okay with a2 calc, feel free to drop me a pm
You can post any questions (and the work you’ve done so far on them) here and we can try and help :smile:

(On PM you can’t attach pictures and doing it on a thread means you’ll get help quicker)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by laurawatt
You can post any questions (and the work you’ve done so far on them) here and we can try and help :smile:

(On PM you can’t attach pictures and doing it on a thread means you’ll get help quicker)

this
Reply 4
Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 09.30.36.pngScreenshot 2021-03-04 at 09.30.30.pngHi, sorry for responding so slow, only just got time to come on.
Here's an example that I'm stuck on.

For limits, when you convert then to a 'u' version, do you then still use that "u" version when you put u-sub back in?

So I've got to the point where you try and get a value, but I used ln4 and ln3 instead of the new 'u' ones (root 2 and 1). I seem to not get the answer with the ln4 and ln3...not sure if it's me calculating it wrong or something.
I don't know if I'm supposed to be using root 2 and 1 instead.

Thank you in advance :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by laurawatt

Oh I didn't know you can't pm pictures, thank you for letting me know!
Reply 6
After working out the u limits and expressing the integral in terms of u and du, you can "forget" about the original version in terms of x. So the limits in the second half of the solution are sqrt(2) and 1, as shown in the solution.

The transformed integral has "u" as the horizontal axis, and you want to find the area between the function f(u) and the u axis.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
After working out the u limits and expressing the integral in terms of u and du, you can "forget" about the original version in terms of x. So the limits in the second half of the solution are sqrt(2) and 1, as shown in the solution.

The transformed integral has "u" as the horizontal axis, and you want to find the area between the function f(u) and the u axis.

Oh I see, by forgetting do you mean I can just sub in root 2 into the u version of the integral?
I've realised if I sub root 2 into u^6/3, I get 8/3 like if I subbed ln4 into the x version.

Also sorry, what do you mean by transformed integrals (I probably should know but unfortunately I don't...)? I think our class did areas and curves last lesson but I'm still struggling with these so haven't got around to those exercises yet :frown:
Original post by Hellowo

Also sorry, what do you mean by transformed integrals (I probably should know but unfortunately I don't...)?

it just means the integral after you have changed the variable. you do not need to draw a picture or anything.
Reply 9
Original post by Hellowo
Oh I see, by forgetting do you mean I can just sub in root 2 into the u version of the integral?
I've realised if I sub root 2 into u^6/3, I get 8/3 like if I subbed ln4 into the x version.

Also sorry, what do you mean by transformed integrals (I probably should know but unfortunately I don't...)? I think our class did areas and curves last lesson but I'm still struggling with these so haven't got around to those exercises yet :frown:

Yes. The integration problem has been transformed from x-space to u-space, via the substitution. I used "transformed" to make clear they're, x&u, different variables. I was referring to integration using substitution.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
it just means the integral after you have changed the variable. you do not need to draw a picture or anything.

Right, thank you for clarifying!
Original post by mqb2766
Yes. The integration problem has been transformed from x-space to u-space, via the substitution. I used "transformed" to make clear they're, x&u, different variables.

this makes it sound much too complicated for an A level student :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
Yes. The integration problem has been transformed from x-space to u-space, via the substitution. I used "transformed" to make clear they're, x&u, different variables.

I understand now thank you very much.

I also finally got the answer now, I've just forgotten to subtract the numbers I'm supposed to subtract...

But you've really been helpful in clarifying stuff so thank you!
Original post by the bear
this makes it sound much too complicated for an A level student :colondollar:

Possibly, but if they're getting confused over which values to use, saying it's a new (transformed) problem completely in terms of u, so you forget about the old x version isnt?
Reply 14
Oh um, I got another question, how do you go from 16ln2 - 16ln1 to 8ln2? I get the division bit but I don't know how they went from 16 to 8?
Sorry it's another dumb question
16ln(sqrt(2)) - 16ln(1)
The root is important.
Reply 16
Original post by mqb2766
16ln(sqrt(2)) - 16ln(1)
The root is important.

Ah yes I was looking at my x-version again sorry.

But I still don't know how it goes to 8ln2 though?
Original post by Hellowo
Ah yes I was looking at my x-version again sorry.

But I still don't know how it goes to 8ln2 though?

ln(1) =...
ln(2^(1/2)) = ...
Reply 18
Original post by mqb2766
ln(1) =...
ln(2^(1/2)) = ...

I still don't quite understand what the second line is...
Original post by Hellowo
I still don't quite understand what the second line is...

It's one of the standard log rules
log(a^b) = b*log(a)

Quick Reply

Latest