Best way to revise A-level Music?

Watch this thread
crystallineluke
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey! I'm in Year 12 studying A-level Music and whilst I'm not struggling to understand the content and I'm really enjoying the course, I've really got no idea where start in terms of revision for the listening paper.

My sixth form does Eduqas and so far we've been studying the Musical Theatre topic, Haydn's Symphony 104 and the Development of the Symphony and outside of what I've been given in class, I really cannot find any material online or any revision guides whatsoever related to the A-level topics??

I feel quite an emphasis on doing well in A-level Music as I'm looking to do it at uni and many of the courses I like require a grade A.

If anyone here has done/currently is doing A-level Music and has any tips, I'd be really thankful if you could share!

Thanks.
Em1845
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by crystallineluke)
Hey! I'm in Year 12 studying A-level Music and whilst I'm not struggling to understand the content and I'm really enjoying the course, I've really got no idea where start in terms of revision for the listening paper.

My sixth form does Eduqas and so far we've been studying the Musical Theatre topic, Haydn's Symphony 104 and the Development of the Symphony and outside of what I've been given in class, I really cannot find any material online or any revision guides whatsoever related to the A-level topics??

I feel quite an emphasis on doing well in A-level Music as I'm looking to do it at uni and many of the courses I like require a grade A.

If anyone here has done/currently is doing A-level Music and has any tips, I'd be really thankful if you could share!

Thanks.
Hey! Im in year 13 doing eduqas music. Im assuming you've annotated your score for the haydn 104 - it sounds simple but listen to it while looking at ur annotated score and get to know it inside out. As you get into year 13 and finish learning about the development of the symphony you can then plan answers for the essays. You could make flashcards for where imporant things happen in the haydn with bar numbers. Similar thing for musical theatre - listen to lots of different songs by the set composers and while ur listening go through the elements of music and describe whats going on. There's also an eduqas music textbook that has some practice questions in. I honestly think music is really hard to revise half way through the course so its easier once you've learnt everything as you can link things. Also remember that performing and composition is a big part of the grade so even if you dont do as well in the written exam you can really make up for it (but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try your best in the written). A final thing is you get the score for the haydn (and mendellsohn idk if ur doing that) as well as the other set pieces, so you really only have to memories the different pieces from the development of the symphony and into the 20th century (or the other section ur doing). I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more advice☺️
crystallineluke
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Em1845)
Hey! Im in year 13 doing eduqas music. Im assuming you've annotated your score for the haydn 104 - it sounds simple but listen to it while looking at ur annotated score and get to know it inside out. As you get into year 13 and finish learning about the development of the symphony you can then plan answers for the essays. You could make flashcards for where imporant things happen in the haydn with bar numbers. Similar thing for musical theatre - listen to lots of different songs by the set composers and while ur listening go through the elements of music and describe whats going on. There's also an eduqas music textbook that has some practice questions in. I honestly think music is really hard to revise half way through the course so its easier once you've learnt everything as you can link things. Also remember that performing and composition is a big part of the grade so even if you dont do as well in the written exam you can really make up for it (but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try your besheyt in the written). A final thing is you get the score for the haydn (and mendellsohn idk if ur doing that) as well as the other set pieces, so you really only have to memories the different pieces from the development of the symphony and into the 20th century (or the other section ur doing). I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more advice☺️
hey!! thanks for this reply I find this super helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (7)
14%
Quite well (22)
44%
Not so good (13)
26%
Terrible! (8)
16%

Watched Threads