The Student Room Group

My family seriously are obsessed with me doing medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 04MR17
Could you explain specifically where you are at in terms of your education and where you are at in terms of university applications as from reading the 3 pages of this thread it isn't very clear.

Then users would be best placed to advise you on this.

I am in year 13, and am predicted A*A*A*.
Original post by lhh2003
I am in year 13, and am predicted A*A*A*.
And have you applied to university already?
Reply 42
Original post by 04MR17
And have you applied to university already?

Yes.
Original post by lhh2003
I have told them HUNDREDS of times I feel the need to take a gap year as I might enjoy engineering better.

I have told them how I do not find the idea of learning about muscle pairs interesting, and would much rather learn thermodynamics and how to design electric engines.

I have told them how I want to open a technology firm and become an entrepreneur, working 14 hours a day to actually be rewarded , as opposed to just having "personal satisfaction" from patients spitting on me all day and inhaling gross smells for 14 hours a day.

I have told them how I can help people just as much as a doctor does, if not 100x more, by building devices that are used in hospitals and are more efficient and are with the patient 24/7.

All they care about is the prestige to tell their friends , "oh yes, my son is a doctor. Yes ,yes . I raised a DOCTOR ! :smile: :smile: :smile: "

The biggest concern for me is I am just not interested in learning a tonne of information parrot fashion, with very little intellectual stimulation.

However, a huge worry I have is I will do engineering, and be stuck at a chair by myself all day.

I am INCREDIBLY worried I will end up in a dead end job and regret my decision.

I want to work with people. The big attraction was to save lives, the prestige , and the money. But money is out of the equation now I learned FY1 doctors are on £28,000 a year, and people on benefits get more than that..

tell them to be quiet lol
Original post by lhh2003
Yes.
Which ones and for which courses?

What offers do you currently hold?

Have you been rejected from any institutions?
Reply 45
I am am almost about to finish my year 12 and I am studying A-Levels in Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths. My grades are excellent and so far pretty much always scored 85%+ in every test.The fact that I am best academically in my year and have NO IDEA what I really want to do in future (because I am a pretty apathetic and boring person and have zero interests,passions or hobby) is always used by my parents everytime I tell them I don't like medicine because I don't like working with people.

"What else would you do if not Medicine?You are the best in you entire school, can you name someome who gets better grades than you?If those people can make it,why wouldn't you?Are there any careers out there that are this much financially stable?Even if doctors are not well paid in this country you can still work abroad and make tons if money.We are working extremely hard because it has always been our dream to make you the best person possible (it feels like I owe them something just because they are working hard and investing on my education) so that everyone around you can recognise you and respect you and us and our entire family.If your jobless for making your own decision then it's your problem and fault for not listening us and we'll not help you at all.You are terrible in making decision,listen to us and let us decide for you cause we know what's best for you..."...Everytime I lose their argument.From their point of view mine are just childish complains.

I feel I am losing time and that I am trapped and that I am fated to fail med school and fail life eventually simply because I have no passiom and I am forced to do something I have zero interest.I really like science,but I hate people and easily get bored or sometimes annoyed when I am around strangers.

It's been more than 10 months that I have had depression. My parents already told everyone I know that I want to do medicine (LIE!) so everybody is having high expectations on me.

I'd like to talk with a career advisor but I am too afraid to do so because I am afraid of what my parents are going to feel about it once I come back home and reveal about my appointment with career advisor.
(edited 3 years ago)
TLDR; CAN YOU BECOME A BIOMEDICAL SCIENTIST BY DOING MEDICINE AT UNI?
So my biggest regret is telling my parents i wanted to do medicine since i was in primary school cuz now that i have changed my mind they are really not letting me change. i have done my research and said that i wanted to do Healthcare Science at university which would let me complete the lab work and portfolio i need to become a biomedical scientist, i told my parents this a while ago and they seemed fine with it so i was happy. but recently they sat me down and basically told me i HAVE to apply for medicine and i cant apply for Healthcare Science because it's 'useless' and said i was stupid for even thinking i should do it.
they said that if i do medicine that i can be whatever i want after that and i can even become a biomedical scientist after, but i am not sure about that now because you need lab experience and the HCPC approved portfolio and an IBMS accreditted course i think. so that would mean i would have to do 5-6 years doing something i dont want to and then somehow find a way to do my lab experience (?)
i have a feeling they are just saying i can be whatever i want to trick me into having to become a doctor because i wouldn't put it past them. basically can anyone confirm if it would be easier or even possible to become a biomedical scientist after doind medicine or suggest a way i could convine my parents Healthcare Science isn't a rubbish degree? thanks in advanced!
Say your squeamish.
so would you know if medicine would be quite a different course to Healthcare Science or biomedical science? because my dad keeps using the argument that its basically the same when i tell him i dont want to do it.
Original post by Spelunker
so would you know if medicine would be quite a different course to Healthcare Science or biomedical science? because my dad keeps using the argument that its basically the same when i tell him i dont want to do it.

He's completely wrong I'm afraid.

(I have degrees in biomed and medicine).
Reply 50
Original post by Ash U.
I am am almost about to finish my year 12 and I am studying A-Levels in Biology,Chemistry,Physics and Maths. My grades are excellent and so far pretty much always scored 85%+ in every test.The fact that I am best academically in my year and have NO IDEA what I really want to do in future (because I am a pretty apathetic and boring person and have zero interests,passions or hobby) is always used by my parents everytime I tell them I don't like medicine because I don't like working with people.

"What else would you do if not Medicine?You are the best in you entire school, can you name someome who gets better grades than you?If those people can make it,why wouldn't you?Are there any careers out there that are this much financially stable?Even if doctors are not well paid in this country you can still work abroad and make tons if money.We are working extremely hard because it has always been our dream to make you the best person possible (it feels like I owe them something just because they are working hard and investing on my education) so that everyone around you can recognise you and respect you and us and our entire family.If your jobless for making your own decision then it's your problem and fault for not listening us and we'll not help you at all.You are terrible in making decision,listen to us and let us decide for you cause we know what's best for you..."...Everytime I lose their argument.From their point of view mine are just childish complains.

I feel I am losing time and that I am trapped and that I am fated to fail med school and fail life eventually simply because I have no passiom and I am forced to do something I have zero interest.I really like science,but I hate people and easily get bored or sometimes annoyed when I am around strangers.

It's been more than 10 months that I have had depression. My parents already told everyone I know that I want to do medicine (LIE!) so everybody is having high expectations on me.

I'd like to talk with a career advisor but I am too afraid to do so because I am afraid of what my parents are going to feel about it once I come back home and reveal about my appointment with career advisor.

I feel you brother. You only get one life. Don't waste it because your parents want to live by proxy though you. You need to end the cycle. Be the person to end the cycle.
Reply 51
Original post by lhh2003
I feel you brother. You only get one life. Don't waste it because your parents want to live by proxy though you. You need to end the cycle. Be the person to end the cycle.

Did you get end up deciding what course you wanted to do?
Reply 52
Old comment, but what major operations are ever done privately? Cosmetic surgeries are often done privately, but every brain surgeon I have seen or heard about works for the NHS because the NHS have the best equipment, are best staffed and have a huge network of suppliers, which a private firm wouldn't be able to compete with. So the probability of being a brain surgeon working on call for A&E patients, specifically in the NHS, is very high. The vast majority of prospects for running a private firm is only for cosmetic surgeons/physiotherapists, right?
I've always wondered why so many parents from foreign backgrounds assume medicine is the 'only way out' or 'only way to have a good life'
Creates a very biased perspective of what it's truly like to study medicine/be a doctor
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JP2000!!!
I've always wondered why so many parents from foreign backgrounds assume medicine is the 'only way out' or 'only way to have a good life'
Creates a very biased perspective of what it's truly like to study medicine/be a doctor

Probably because of the stability it provides in terms of income, and the respect as well.
Original post by Srtebti2344
Probably because of the stability it provides in terms of income, and the respect as well.

I guess, but it’s heavily over-glamorourised
I'm doing all sciences for a-level and i'm in year 12. my parents made me do those a-levels even though i wanted to do humanities. Now they want me to do medicine but i don't want to become a doctor. If i did any other science degree like neuroscience or biomedical sciences i'll end up doing research or as a teacher and i don't want that either. Even though i don't want to do it, medicine is probably the safest route to take. This is even more complicated because although i did like the humanities, i'm not interested in anything. There isn't anything i want to do anymore.
There's nothing i particularly like either. All i do is study and watch anime
Original post by Bakugo27
I'm doing all sciences for a-level and i'm in year 12. my parents made me do those a-levels even though i wanted to do humanities. Now they want me to do medicine but i don't want to become a doctor. If i did any other science degree like neuroscience or biomedical sciences i'll end up doing research or as a teacher and i don't want that either. Even though i don't want to do it, medicine is probably the safest route to take. This is even more complicated because although i did like the humanities, i'm not interested in anything. There isn't anything i want to do anymore.

i really relate to this! my parents have been wanting me to do medicine for ages and at first i agreed but i realised recently that it wasn't for me. their 'complete support' for me turned into pressure for me to stick with medicine and telling me that if i dont pick it i will become a teacher or an assistant. other science degrees wont just lead you to teachig! i am studying sciences at a-level and im looking into doing(hopefully) a healthcare science degree in life sciences and this will lead me straight on to become a biomedical scientist when i graduate. neuroscience and biomedical science are also very intresting courses that could lead on to so much more than teaching! i would suggest looking at this website:https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ to get some ideas on courses and jobs you could get with the alevels you are studying. medicine is a safe route because you are garanteed a job and its very respectable, but if you dont want to do it you definately shouldn't subject yourself to it because that will just be life long regert/misery. ps. i also just study and watch anime lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending