What is the future of the NHS?

Watch
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by themartinipolice)
I said I was worried about graduating into the NHS, her very blunt response was "in 7 years there might not be an NHS"
Is you mum excited for more pay once the NHS monopoly bargaining power is got rid of?

Did getting rid of the NHS increase your motivation to work in healthcare?
Megacent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think privitisation would be a good thing. While I applaud the hard work of the individuals working there, I think the NHS on an organizational level has been a disgrace during this pandemic. Cancelling routine stuff to just focus on covid has led to cancers going undiagnosed and a mental health crisis that will last for years. In my opinion, it's wrong for a health service to only focus on treating one specific thing at the expense of everything else. Instead, I think they should have treated covid patients as well as keeping the routine stuff going as normal.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Megacent)
I think privitisation would be a good thing. While I applaud the hard work of the individuals working there, I think the NHS on an organizational level has been a disgrace during this pandemic. Cancelling routine stuff to just focus on covid has led to cancers going undiagnosed and a mental health crisis that will last for years. In my opinion, it's wrong for a health service to only focus on treating one specific thing at the expense of everything else. Instead, I think they should have treated covid patients as well as keeping the routine stuff going as normal.
All GPs are already private they still closed their doors to patients, how would making the rest of the service private change that?
Cyberfan123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is cyber-security - the number of attacks on the NHS has increased during the pandemic... there’s a lack of certified security professionals reported within the NHS in fact although there has been increased spending
Last edited by Cyberfan123; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cyberfan123)
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is cyber-security - the number of attacks on the NHS has increased during the pandemic... there’s a lack of certified security professionals reported within the NHS in fact although there has been increased spending
That is because they will be contracted in privately like most professional services in the NHS.
Cyberfan123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
That is because they will be contracted in privately like most professional services in the NHS.
I’m aware, services like NHS Digital. But it would still be a good idea to have in-house certified professsionals. There’s been an article on this recently.

Anyway the US healthcare system as it stands has sticky pricing, I think privatisation would lead to inflated prices leading to competition between healthcare institutions for pricing, and also without knowing whrther costs are reasonable, having been given the final figure. This would also mean that only the well off have access to healthcare
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m aware, services like NHS Digital. But it would still be a good idea to have in-house certified professsionals. There’s been an article on this recently.

Anyway the US healthcare system as it stands has sticky pricing, I think privatisation would lead to inflated prices leading to competition between healthcare institutions for pricing, and also without knowing whrther costs are reasonable, having been given the final figure. This would also mean that only the well off have access to healthcare
All GPs are private so why do you think their costs aren't like the US?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Why would competition inflate prices.
Austria, Germany, the Netherlands all use private healthcare systems. Its not just US costs Vs full Nationalisation.
CallumTW9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
NHS isn't going anywhere. Boris has stated on record multiple times he will not be selling the NHS. Conservatives also announced in their 2019 campaign that they were increasing the NHS's budget, it went up £6.2 billion last year and will receive another £33.9 billion between 2023-2024.

Most government spending is poorly managed. If they don't spend their entire budget for the year they risk cuts the next year, this leads to it being mismanaged and they always come asking for more. (This is why private sectors are better and most countries such as the USA pay their health care professionals far more. The average nurse salary is $75,000 compared to £25,500 here and they also have much lower cost of living).
Last edited by CallumTW9; 1 month ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CallumTW9)
NHS isn't going anywhere. Boris has stated on record multiple times he will not be selling the NHS. Conservatives also announced in their 2019 campaign that they were increasing the NHS's budget, it went up £6.2 billion last year and will receive another £33.9 billion between 2023-2024.

Most government spending is poorly managed. If they don't spend their entire budget for the year they risk cuts the next year, this leads to it being mismanaged and they always come asking for more. (This is why private sectors are better and most countries such as the USA pay their health care professionals far more. The average nurse salary is $75,000 compared to £25,500 here and they also have much lower cost of living).
What propaganda have you been reading?
Whilst it is true that the starting salary for a nurse is around 25,000, on average nurses (according to NMC) nurses earn between 33,000 and 35,000.
CallumTW9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Whilst it is true that the starting salary for a nurse is around 25,000, on average nurses (according to NMC) nurses earn between 33,000 and 35,000.
That's true, I accidently took the starting salary from the UK instead of the average but my point still applies.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Still much less and his point still applies.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
That is literally the point of the NHS though.
It was created to act as a monopoly supplier of health services to drive down cost
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
So why is primary care (GPs, etc) not a shining example of private healthcare since they have always been private?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads