The Student Room Group

What is the future of the NHS?

Scroll to see replies

I think privitisation would be a good thing. While I applaud the hard work of the individuals working there, I think the NHS on an organizational level has been a disgrace during this pandemic. Cancelling routine stuff to just focus on covid has led to cancers going undiagnosed and a mental health crisis that will last for years. In my opinion, it's wrong for a health service to only focus on treating one specific thing at the expense of everything else. Instead, I think they should have treated covid patients as well as keeping the routine stuff going as normal.
Original post by Megacent
I think privitisation would be a good thing. While I applaud the hard work of the individuals working there, I think the NHS on an organizational level has been a disgrace during this pandemic. Cancelling routine stuff to just focus on covid has led to cancers going undiagnosed and a mental health crisis that will last for years. In my opinion, it's wrong for a health service to only focus on treating one specific thing at the expense of everything else. Instead, I think they should have treated covid patients as well as keeping the routine stuff going as normal.

All GPs are already private they still closed their doors to patients, how would making the rest of the service private change that?
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is cyber-security - the number of attacks on the NHS has increased during the pandemic... there’s a lack of certified security professionals reported within the NHS in fact although there has been increased spending
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Cyberfan123
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here is cyber-security - the number of attacks on the NHS has increased during the pandemic... there’s a lack of certified security professionals reported within the NHS in fact although there has been increased spending

That is because they will be contracted in privately like most professional services in the NHS.
Original post by DiddyDec
That is because they will be contracted in privately like most professional services in the NHS.

I’m aware, services like NHS Digital. But it would still be a good idea to have in-house certified professsionals. There’s been an article on this recently.

Anyway the US healthcare system as it stands has sticky pricing, I think privatisation would lead to inflated prices leading to competition between healthcare institutions for pricing, and also without knowing whrther costs are reasonable, having been given the final figure. This would also mean that only the well off have access to healthcare
I’m aware, services like NHS Digital. But it would still be a good idea to have in-house certified professsionals. There’s been an article on this recently.

Anyway the US healthcare system as it stands has sticky pricing, I think privatisation would lead to inflated prices leading to competition between healthcare institutions for pricing, and also without knowing whrther costs are reasonable, having been given the final figure. This would also mean that only the well off have access to healthcare

All GPs are private so why do you think their costs aren't like the US?

Why would competition inflate prices.
Austria, Germany, the Netherlands all use private healthcare systems. Its not just US costs Vs full Nationalisation.
NHS isn't going anywhere. Boris has stated on record multiple times he will not be selling the NHS. Conservatives also announced in their 2019 campaign that they were increasing the NHS's budget, it went up £6.2 billion last year and will receive another £33.9 billion between 2023-2024.

Most government spending is poorly managed. If they don't spend their entire budget for the year they risk cuts the next year, this leads to it being mismanaged and they always come asking for more. (This is why private sectors are better and most countries such as the USA pay their health care professionals far more. The average nurse salary is $75,000 compared to £25,500 here and they also have much lower cost of living).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CallumTW9
NHS isn't going anywhere. Boris has stated on record multiple times he will not be selling the NHS. Conservatives also announced in their 2019 campaign that they were increasing the NHS's budget, it went up £6.2 billion last year and will receive another £33.9 billion between 2023-2024.

Most government spending is poorly managed. If they don't spend their entire budget for the year they risk cuts the next year, this leads to it being mismanaged and they always come asking for more. (This is why private sectors are better and most countries such as the USA pay their health care professionals far more. The average nurse salary is $75,000 compared to £25,500 here and they also have much lower cost of living).

What propaganda have you been reading?
Whilst it is true that the starting salary for a nurse is around 25,000, on average nurses (according to NMC) nurses earn between 33,000 and 35,000.
Original post by glassalice
Whilst it is true that the starting salary for a nurse is around 25,000, on average nurses (according to NMC) nurses earn between 33,000 and 35,000.

That's true, I accidently took the starting salary from the UK instead of the average but my point still applies.
Original post by glassalice

Still much less and his point still applies.
Reply 31
Original post by imlikeahermit

That is literally the point of the NHS though.
It was created to act as a monopoly supplier of health services to drive down cost
Original post by imlikeahermit

So why is primary care (GPs, etc) not a shining example of private healthcare since they have always been private?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending