Should smacking children be banned? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Coke Or Pepsi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Little ***** nowadays are becoming ruder and ruder. I blame government for introducing this whole anti-slap thing. What sort of a seven year old tells his or her mum that she can't be touched else she'll phone social services? Giving your child beats will force them to grow up to respect you =S. Not just RANDOM beats i.e. child abuse, beats if they do something particularly out-of-order i.e. you find them boozing in their bedroom and smoking weed with their friends.
Emma512
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smacking - No
Anything more - Yes
Teigan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The government should stay out of parental decisions and worry abut far more important things.

A short, sharp smack is very different to a brutal beating.
Erik.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
past the age of 12 yes, severely illegal, that's just creepy and wrong on so many levels.

before that I don't think it's a huge deal if it's light.
SteveVoom
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it should be banned. It's really up to the parent, obviously smacking bordering on the verge of physical abuse shouldn't be allowed, but a slight smack that will teach them not to do it again, I personally don't see the harm in it.
nterry242
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think a slap on the back of the legs is acceptable in certain circumstances, but I don't think it should ever be more than that - and not used in everyday "naughty" behaviour". Operant conditioning should come into effect, and the child will realise if they do "x" then they'll be smacked, but it won't work if a parent hits a child for any single thing s/he does wrong, and it's cruel. I don't know yet if I'll smack my children, but I was if I was really naughty and it didn't affect me.
UGeNe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
smacking is so uncreative.

I prefer psychological punishment...
Lightyear
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, never did me any harm :curious:
dchatterjee1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ocelotrevs)
No, I don't think it should be banned.
Obviously, if the child is being bashed up for no reason, then steps should be taken to protect the child.
If the child is getting a clump for misbehaving, or when they step outta line, I see no problem with that.
Exactly what i believe (:
River Hippo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smacking should definitely be allowed. Making it illegal isn't going to stop abusive parents; all it does is stop parents from properly disciplining their kids. Thus leading to a generation of spoilt brats with no respect for elders.
Mhazie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. It's up to the parent, really, if it's only moderate. Personally I see it as a loss of control (akin to a temper tantrum) by the parent but it didn't hurt me. Lol, just learnt to sit down every time Mum yelled at me. XD
Mr Roboto
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This would be as practical as banning smoking in peoples' homes...

I think they should focus their attention and resources instead, on the social services which allow a baby to be tortured to death before their very eyes. They could also brush up a bit on economy and education. Better public transport might also be appreciated...

And besides, who would disagree with me that some kids deserve a good slap...
Mango24
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no. i got knocked the hell out, believe it or not it was good for me
Ciara_Murphy
Report 10 years ago
No i don't think it should be banned. Obviously there should be a limit on how much you can do to your child but there's a difference to smacking your child to breaking a bone. If smacking your child invokes a bit of discipline then go for it. Most children know that their parents aren't allowed to hit them and so play up. This brings about the whole thing of not caring for those in authority, etc etc.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, it shouldn't. The only way to deal with some kids is by corporal punishment. Also, associating certain dangerous actions with pain is more likely to stop kids from doing it. E.g, slapping kids on the wrist when they play with gas ovens or plugs.
xpillowangelx86
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It all depends if the smack is it just light on the leg, then it's ok I suppose, but it's more serious and the marks are more serious then yeah it should be illegal especially in public. But at home it cannot be policed. Like in the serious cases in the news recently of baby P. but that's a different story altogether!
Eric Qin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smacking children is hardly to be banned, technically speaking.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can see the concerns about abuse, but those problem parents aren't exactly going to obey the law on smacking anyway. The fact is that fair and moderate smacking works in certain scenarios. When I was a kid, I knew that if I misbehaved, I could expect a red bottom, and so I was a good boy! Simple as that, really. Children need to be punished sometimes, and the threat of a smacked bum is one of the most useful tools a parent has.
LiberiFatali
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mango24)
no. i got knocked the hell out, believe it or not it was good for me
Ditto. I was never beaten black and blue, but when I crossed the line my parents sure as hell made me aware of it.
Aberystwyth University Guest Lecturer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
I don't understand how they could police it. And say a parent gives their naughty 8 year old a tap on the hand and somebody found out, would the kid get taken by social services? :dontknow:
Thats a good point - is a smacking ban practical - I thought about this when reviewing the news articles and the research papers. By proxy, are they asking us to monitor each other's behaviours even further and report to the authorities - I am not sure I want to do that, nor tell a parent how to parent their child. An obvious abuse of course is different, but it invites so many other issues and potenatial abuses - for example, who will protect the parents of being accused of using too much force and how can thy say they did not other than looking for physical marks on the child.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.23%
Worried (264)
18.74%
Terrified (329)
23.35%
Meh (113)
8.02%
Confused (33)
2.34%