Should I take film studies or textiles at GCSE?

Watch
MSJo221
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I need to make a decision between taking film studies and textiles at GCSE and am really stumped on what to go for.

The other subjects I’ve applied to take are all very academic/literary based so I was hoping to balance them out with something a little more creative.

So, I would really appreciate it if anyone who has taken either one or both of these subjects could give some honest advice on how enjoyable they found them and what the exams and coursework entailed. If you took both, which did you prefer and why and what kind of person do you think you would have to be to enjoy them?

Thanks,

Jo
Last edited by MSJo221; 6 months ago
dazai768
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MSJo221)
Hi, I need to make a decision between taking film studies and textiles at GCSE and am really stumped on what to go for.

The other subjects I’ve applied to take are all very academic/literary based so I was hoping to balance them out with something a little more creative.

So, I would really appreciate it if anyone who has taken either one or both of these subjects could give some honest advice on how enjoyable they found them and what the exams and coursework entailed. If you took both, which did you prefer and why and what kind of person do you think you would have to be to enjoy them?

Thanks,

Jo
right so i do not take either but, textiles falls under design and technology and i do product design. So, i don't exactly know how the textiles course runs, but i presume there is an NEA in which you have to design your own piece? If that is so, from experience, it takes up a lOt of time. However, i really really love product design so it did not feel like a burden to me. The process in designing for textiles is pretty much the same as ours - you do research, you write a brief, you practice and test skills and make a final prototype/dress/cloth item lol idk. Yeah i just looked it up, its basically the same. So, if you are willing to put in effort in practical and theory, it will suit you. In terms of media/film studies, there is also coursework but the load is definitely not as much (i have a close friend who does it), she recently designed a magazine cover ( i think she did more of the press/publishing side). I think that there is a lot of analysis as well as watching stuff, so if you can multi task well, go for it. If your subjects are already literacy based, i say do textiles because film studies includes analysing film scenes and learning different things within the way they are shot and stUff. Also, read up the specs for film studies and textiles for the boards at your school - but from what i have seen, film studies is basically english for films lmao and textiles is a lot more creative and practical.
(i would suggest though, if you like engineering or creative design, like coming up with ideas for products you can make - take design and technology, just from personal experience i recommend it a lot, again there are some iffy parts, but the theory is based on manufacturing techinques and has a little physics and maths). What field are you interested in? and what subjects have you decided on?
MSJo221
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
dazai768 Thank you, this is really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads