The Student Room Group

I don’t think my dad loves my mum

SORRY IT’S A BIT LONG

Ever since I was young I noticed that my dad wouldn’t be as loving towards my mum (he never cheated or anything) but it’s weird because when I ask my parents if they love each other my mum says yes of course and my dad doesn’t really reply and says why are you asking that (says it in a joking way)

I thought maybe he doesn’t know how to express himself much but I recently asked him if life would be easier without children and he clearly heard me as I repeated myself and he just looked at me all sad. It feels like he didn’t even want children.

My mum always talks about the things she wants to do but can’t because children and it makes me so sad.
I feel like a burden on them but I need them to stay together and be happy for my younger sibling who is only 10 years old. I am 19 so I’m genuinely okay with them not showing love to me as I am used to it now.

Is this my fault? Should I disappear and maybe financially and emotionally my parents will feel better?
Reply 1
I came into this thread looking for a potential newly single **** - I was disappointed.

Edit: can't say **** wtf is this? - - single mother that I would like to get to know
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Gosh, this is sad. The last thing they’d want is for you to disappear. Some people are so, so bad at showing their feelings. My mother rarely hugs me and she’s never told me she loves me but I know she does. However, her experiences when young make it hard for her to show affection.

Have you thought about having a chat with your mother and telling her how you feel?
Reply 3
Original post by MissLion
Gosh, this is sad. The last thing they’d want is for you to disappear. Some people are so, so bad at showing their feelings. My mother rarely hugs me and she’s never told me she loves me but I know she does. However, her experiences when young make it hard for her to show affection.

Have you thought about having a chat with your mother and telling her how you feel?

I guess that is something I should do thank you. I think with covid and being at home all day long it feels like nothing even matters anymore
Reply 4
Original post by spanker
I came into this thread looking for a potential newly single **** - I was disappointed.

Edit: can't say **** wtf is this? - - single mother that I would like to get to know

No thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I guess that is something I should do thank you. I think with covid and being at home all day long it feels like nothing even matters anymore

You are not the only one to feel this way. It is an awful unprecedented age we are living in. But do try and communicate your unhappiness with someone. If you find it hard to verbally articulate your feelings try a letter.

Nothing matters only if you don’t want it to. It’s all in your power... so for example my studies matter to me because they are my future. They are what keep me going. It is hard motivating myself sometimes because we are surrounded with uncertainty but everything I’m doing today is helping me build something for tomorrow. It all matters even when I can’t see the big picture clearly.

Also finally, please do not feel responsible for your parents and their relationship. It’s unfair for you to carry that burden. Your empathy for your sibling is lovely, no matter what happens they have you looking out for them.
Reply 6
Original post by MissLion
You are not the only one to feel this way. It is an awful unprecedented age we are living in. But do try and communicate your unhappiness with someone. If you find it hard to verbally articulate your feelings try a letter.

Nothing matters only if you don’t want it to. It’s all in your power... so for example my studies matter to me because they are my future. They are what keep me going. It is hard motivating myself sometimes because we are surrounded with uncertainty but everything I’m doing today is helping me build something for tomorrow. It all matters even when I can’t see the big picture clearly.

Also finally, please do not feel responsible for your parents and their relationship. It’s unfair for you to carry that burden. Your empathy for your sibling is lovely, no matter what happens they have you looking out for them.

Thank you this really means a lot I really appreciate it 💚
Dont run away from it, its not your fault, just try and be there for your younger sibling, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending