The Student Room Group

Engineering work experience

hello,
I'm currently doing my A-levels and hope to pursue my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering.
I've attended summer courses for engineering and although I've done a few basic projects, I haven't got any hands-on work experience.
I've heard about the Rolls Royce program and the Taster week program at BAE Systems.
Are there any other places that offer work experience for year 12/13 students?

Jess
Original post by Jessica_evans234
hello,
I'm currently doing my A-levels and hope to pursue my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering.
I've attended summer courses for engineering and although I've done a few basic projects, I haven't got any hands-on work experience.
I've heard about the Rolls Royce program and the Taster week program at BAE Systems.
Are there any other places that offer work experience for year 12/13 students?

Jess

Hey @Jessica_evans234 :h:
That's great to hear you're interested in studying engineering!
I think my main advice would be not to worry too much about gaining lots of work experience prior to applying. It sounds like your few projects and summer courses you've been able to do will be relevant, and often work experience isn't compulsory or desired for Engineering degrees. It'll be important to show that you have the key skills to succeed on the course though, so think of ways you can prove your problem solving, teamworking and attention to detail for an example. You can do this in a range of ways, such as through the projects you've done but also through other things like being in a sports team or working a part time job too.
If the opportunity comes up to get work experience then that's fantastic and will be great to use in your Personal Statement, but don't put too much pressure on yourself (particularly at the moment given the way the world is). You'll be able to show off your skills in other ways :biggrin:

Good luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply