Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi! I received an Conditional offer to study at King's in MSc Neuroscience program. I'm an international student and the Tuition and Cost of Living are immense but Kings has always been a dream University. I have heard great things about IoPPN! I wanted to know, if I take an education loan, will it be worth spending that amount of money on my education at Kings?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Hi, sorry I can't help with the question but I have just applied to the Neuro MSc there too!! Can I ask when you applied and how long it took to hear back?
Congrats
Xeryxer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I received an Conditional offer to study at King's in MSc Neuroscience program. I'm an international student and the Tuition and Cost of Living are immense but Kings has always been a dream University. I have heard great things about IoPPN! I wanted to know, if I take an education loan, will it be worth spending that amount of money on my education at Kings?
Are you taking a student loan from the U.K. government or somewhere else?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xeryxer)
Are you taking a student loan from the U.K. government or somewhere else?
Most probably from a Bank in my home country
Anonymous #1
Hi, sorry I can't help with the question but I have just applied to the Neuro MSc there too!! Can I ask when you applied and how long it took to hear back?
Congrats
Hello hi! I applied on 5th January, reference submitted on 3rd February and I received offer on 3rd March
Anonymous #1
Congrats
Also, all the best
Xeryxer
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You’re probably going to be looking at a loan of around £50k to £60k which is going the be a lot

I would calculate how much extra money this is going to generate you over 40 years of work (average starting salary for masters graduate at kings is £50k a year)

Then calculate when you expect to pay the loan off

Do you have any cheaper options? What about other ways to finance?
Anonymous #1
You’re probably going to be looking at a loan of around £50k to £60k which is going the be a lot

I would calculate how much extra money this is going to generate you over 40 years of work (average starting salary for masters graduate at kings is £50k a year)

Then calculate when you expect to pay the loan off

Do you have any cheaper options? What about other ways to finance?
For the degree I have now, I don't expect any pay out of it. And getting masters in my home country is cheap but not worth it. This is the reason I want to invest that amount of money on education. And having heard that kings is actually a good uni with very strong links to the industry. I want to take my chance.

Other option would be paying some amount through private funds like by my family but that's mostly it. I don't want to put financial pressure on them. Other than that, the only option is loans from banks.
Xeryxer
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For the degree I have now, I don't expect any pay out of it. And getting masters in my home country is cheap but not worth it. This is the reason I want to invest that amount of money on education. And having heard that kings is actually a good uni with very strong links to the industry. I want to take my chance.

Other option would be paying some amount through private funds like by my family but that's mostly it. I don't want to put financial pressure on them. Other than that, the only option is loans from banks.
It's going to be expensive but you're absolutely right that King's is an amazing university!!!

Have you looked at what interest rate you can get on a loan?
Anonymous #1
It's going to be expensive but you're absolutely right that King's is an amazing university!!!

Have you looked at what interest rate you can get on a loan?
Yes!!

So it's 9.47% but since my father is a bank employee, he gets it at 8.5%
Xeryxer
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes!!

So it's 9.47% but since my father is a bank employee, he gets it at 8.5%
Damnnnnn, maybe you can source some money from your father as a loan and that way you only pay inflation as interest?

If you earn 50k a year tho you will be able to pay it off fairly quickly I hope
Anonymous #1
Damnnnnn, maybe you can source some money from your father as a loan and that way you only pay inflation as interest?

If you earn 50k a year tho you will be able to pay it off fairly quickly I hope
Yes maybe, that's a good idea.

Yes let's see what works out. Thank you so much for your help and advice. Will keep it in mind
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
Hi I just wanted to weigh in.. My supervisor once told me, don't do a degree if you know it's gonna burden you financially. Because trust me, having financial struggles while doing a postgrad degree can take a toll on you. I'm an international student too, studying in the London so I get you. The fees are crazy high, not to mention London living costs!

Education wise, it's worth it. I'm not studying at King's but I'm doing Neuroscience at a rival uni so... I may be biased haha. Either way, I think King's has an excellent neuroscience institute! The neurosc research there is great too. Their conferences and neuroscience society are really active so you get a lot out from there too.

Financial wise, try to secure funding before you start your degree to ensure it doesn't disrupt your studies mid-way. Whether it's a loan or other forms of funding (i.e. scholarship), try your best to be sure you can cover all necessary costs.

Best of luck!!
Anonymous #1
Hi I just wanted to weigh in.. My supervisor once told me, don't do a degree if you know it's gonna burden you financially. Because trust me, having financial struggles while doing a postgrad degree can take a toll on you. I'm an international student too, studying in the London so I get you. The fees are crazy high, not to mention London living costs!

Education wise, it's worth it. I'm not studying at King's but I'm doing Neuroscience at a rival uni so... I may be biased haha. Either way, I think King's has an excellent neuroscience institute! The neurosc research there is great too. Their conferences and neuroscience society are really active so you get a lot out from there too.

Financial wise, try to secure funding before you start your degree to ensure it doesn't disrupt your studies mid-way. Whether it's a loan or other forms of funding (i.e. scholarship), try your best to be sure you can cover all necessary costs.

Best of luck!!
This is an immense insight into everything I wanted to know so thank you. I have degree in Biotechnology from my home country and a BSc won't fetch me anything here and a Neuroscience being a new field, we hardly have courses in it right now. UK was always a priority given the prospects and quality of education (so I've heard from people I know) I'll try my best for scholarships but this education could change my life and I'm willing to take some risk for it and go ahead with loans. Because at the end of the day, it's an investment and investing in education reaps you the most (my mom keeps quoting this haha)

Also, what uni are you in?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
This is an immense insight into everything I wanted to know so thank you. I have degree in Biotechnology from my home country and a BSc won't fetch me anything here and a Neuroscience being a new field, we hardly have courses in it right now. UK was always a priority given the prospects and quality of education (so I've heard from people I know) I'll try my best for scholarships but this education could change my life and I'm willing to take some risk for it and go ahead with loans. Because at the end of the day, it's an investment and investing in education reaps you the most (my mom keeps quoting this haha)

Also, what uni are you in?
I'm at UCL (literally King's #1 rival for Neuroscience haha). But it's a healthy rivalry.

Lol I get you about the quality of education. Neuroscience is still underdeveloped (for lack of better word) in my home country and since a number of unis in the UK are reputable for neuroscience, why not. I know the cost is still high but if a loan is within your means, then think about it as a masters just being one year. I agree with what your mom says – it's a worthwhile investment!

It's not just about the education itself but it's about the people you meet and network with. I got to meet and even work with so many established Neuroscience researchers and it really opened up many doors when I applied for a PhD (also in the UK). Not to mention being taught by these amazing researchers/ lecturers and getting first-hand knowledge about their current research etc! I wouldn't have had this opportunity if i did my degree back home.

I hope you will manage to sort out the finances because having a Neuroscience degree from King's is absolutely worth it! Even if you don't plan to stay in academia, having a neurosc degree is still impressive – quite a few of my friends did not stay in science after graduating but their Masters in Neuroscience still was looked highly upon by their prospective employers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.72%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.69%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.11%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.48%

Watched Threads