Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm so overwhelmed with pharm in second year, they've given us loads of work that I can't even bare to look at it. The uni literally gave us information 1 month before exams I'm so worried about failing that I don't even have a grip of myself. I had a full break down when I turned on my first lecture today, broke down and cried with my mic off, and now I have no idea what to do.
BarMade
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly know that you're not the only to have felt this! It is tough going- especially at the moment.

Secondly, know that if you get scared, or anxious or fearful, you literally can not think straight (Psychology Major student here- in simple terms, fear sets off chemicals in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus and it literally does not allow messages through to the rest of the brain and all you feel if flight or fight) so when you feel the panic and stress rising, you need to use some relaxation techniques to stop it or you won't think straight. There's an app called Headspace that might help but a simple trick I do is to close my eyes and imagine 'a door, open the door and walk out into a sunny field, take a deep breath and admire the tree on top of the small hill in front of me, feel my heart rate slow and my breathing regulate' before opening my eyes and feeling ready to tackle the problem. Takes no more than a minute or two but can help me think straight for the rest of the session.

Thirdly, lots of information in one go is too overwhelming so break the info down into small bundles. Tackle one bundle at a time. Remember, you don't need to know it all- you need to know enough to pass.

Fourthly, find a way that helps you remember- some people just write stuff out again and again and again, some people record notes on their phones and listen to them, some people make up rhymes, some people put together note cards and read it over and over and over, and people like me draw pictures to help memory. It might be combination of all. Find what works for you.

Finally, plan. P*ss poor preparation leads to P*ss poor performance. So once you have divided your info into bundles, plan when you will tackle them. You can timetable if that suits you but I just tell myself that my target is 2 bundles a day, 4 days a week and work until they are done. Most importantly though, you must plan breaks because otherwise you will overload and your brain gets stressed and it shuts the messages out again. Maybe aim to do half a bundle before mid morning snack, half before lunch, break for lunch, half after, break until dinner (5pm), then half a bundle after dinner but stopping for some down time in the evening (yes I'm food orientated ). Remember- a tough regime is only until the exams are over then you can relax.

You can do this! Relax, break it down and plan when you're going to do then do it. Good luck with it all!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BarMade)
Firstly know that you're not the only to have felt this! It is tough going- especially at the moment.

Secondly, know that if you get scared, or anxious or fearful, you literally can not think straight (Psychology Major student here- in simple terms, fear sets off chemicals in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus and it literally does not allow messages through to the rest of the brain and all you feel if flight or fight) so when you feel the panic and stress rising, you need to use some relaxation techniques to stop it or you won't think straight. There's an app called Headspace that might help but a simple trick I do is to close my eyes and imagine 'a door, open the door and walk out into a sunny field, take a deep breath and admire the tree on top of the small hill in front of me, feel my heart rate slow and my breathing regulate' before opening my eyes and feeling ready to tackle the problem. Takes no more than a minute or two but can help me think straight for the rest of the session.

Thirdly, lots of information in one go is too overwhelming so break the info down into small bundles. Tackle one bundle at a time. Remember, you don't need to know it all- you need to know enough to pass.

Fourthly, find a way that helps you remember- some people just write stuff out again and again and again, some people record notes on their phones and listen to them, some people make up rhymes, some people put together note cards and read it over and over and over, and people like me draw pictures to help memory. It might be combination of all. Find what works for you.

Finally, plan. P*ss poor preparation leads to P*ss poor performance. So once you have divided your info into bundles, plan when you will tackle them. You can timetable if that suits you but I just tell myself that my target is 2 bundles a day, 4 days a week and work until they are done. Most importantly though, you must plan breaks because otherwise you will overload and your brain gets stressed and it shuts the messages out again. Maybe aim to do half a bundle before mid morning snack, half before lunch, break for lunch, half after, break until dinner (5pm), then half a bundle after dinner but stopping for some down time in the evening (yes I'm food orientated ). Remember- a tough regime is only until the exams are over then you can relax.

You can do this! Relax, break it down and plan when you're going to do then do it. Good luck with it all!
Thank you! I'm still feeling the anxiety but I'll start planning it out like this! It just feels like I'm drowning.
TheChosenWon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm so overwhelmed with pharm in second year, they've given us loads of work that I can't even bare to look at it. The uni literally gave us information 1 month before exams I'm so worried about failing that I don't even have a grip of myself. I had a full break down when I turned on my first lecture today, broke down and cried with my mic off, and now I have no idea what to do.
Hey,

Keep your head up, it's okay to feel overwhelmed during university, especially during COVID. Science degrees are tough enough as they are and probably worse now with remote learning and no access to class rooms which I believe stimulate a learning culture.

I would say do this:
Step 1: On a very basic high-level assess how many lectures you need to get through for each module.
Step 2: Find out how long it will take you to get through all of that content i.e. to make notes and revise it to a good level.
Step 3: If you feel like you don't have enough time to give your exams a decent shot, raise it with the uni that you are struggling and perhaps ask to resit the year if needs be so you can start 2nd year fresh again next year? (which is likely when normal lectures will be back).
Step 4: If you decide to resit the year, try to get a doctors note for anxiety or something like that (which it sounds like you have).

Note:
try and talk to any uni mentors or tutors who can go over all of your options. DO NOT sit and suffer in silence. It will only backfire for you if you don't perform well and they were not aware of your circumstances.

Feel free to message me if you want any more advice.

I wish you well
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

BarMade and TheChosenWon have made some great points and taken the words straight out of my mouth!

But, I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling like this Online Uni can be so overwhelming at times, and Uni is difficult anyway - without a global pandemic happening on top! My advice would be to talk to an academic advisor / tutor about how you're feeling and what they advise you do. Chatting to someone (especially a good rant!) helps me massively, and makes me feel like 'do you know what, I can do this'. As well, it might be worth making a structured 'revision timetable' where you structure in all of your revision sessions / practice questions - just so it feels like you're on top of everything

Feel free to message if I can help in any other way.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (360)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads