isabelle_04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going into S6 this year and I am stuck on my subjects. I am taking Higher English, Chemistry, Maths, Human Biology, PE and I am hoping to apply to Medicine for 2022. Can people tell me how hard AH Chemistry and Biology are and what is an easyish Higher to crash??
Billy1904
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have done AH chemistry and biology this year. I would say that AH chemistry is a definite step up from higher chemistry though if you enjoy it this year it is definitely doable. In my opinion AH biology isn't that much more difficult as there are some things in it that are from N5 eg there is a bit on pitfall traps, quadrats etc. The main difference is that there is some pretty in-depth chemistry in it but that shouldn't be a problem (or at least will be easier) if you are taking AH chemistry. As for an easy crash higher I couldn't really help you with that. The only thing I would say is if you enjoy the subjects you are taking this year at higher and are good at them then have you considered taking 3 Adv Highers? I took 3 Adv Higher sciences this year as they were the subjects I was best at! Despite people saying this would be hell it actually has worked it okay. I don't know what your school's policy on this is but my school told us that we could either take 1 Adv Higher and 3 Highers or 2 Adv Highers and 2 Highers or 3 Adv higher and no higher. I found that the extra free period a week and 1 less subject makes up for the added difficulty. Ultimately though it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. If you hate the other higher that you are doing this year it might be worth crashing a higher but that will come with stresses of its own.

Remember aswell you will have to set a bit of time aside later in the year to practice for your UCAT.

Hopefully this was helpful and didn't leave you with more questions than answers 😂.

Good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do and with applying to medicine next year!
isabelle_04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Billy1904)
I have done AH chemistry and biology this year. I would say that AH chemistry is a definite step up from higher chemistry though if you enjoy it this year it is definitely doable. In my opinion AH biology isn't that much more difficult as there are some things in it that are from N5 eg there is a bit on pitfall traps, quadrats etc. The main difference is that there is some pretty in-depth chemistry in it but that shouldn't be a problem (or at least will be easier) if you are taking AH chemistry. As for an easy crash higher I couldn't really help you with that. The only thing I would say is if you enjoy the subjects you are taking this year at higher and are good at them then have you considered taking 3 Adv Highers? I took 3 Adv Higher sciences this year as they were the subjects I was best at! Despite people saying this would be hell it actually has worked it okay. I don't know what your school's policy on this is but my school told us that we could either take 1 Adv Higher and 3 Highers or 2 Adv Highers and 2 Highers or 3 Adv higher and no higher. I found that the extra free period a week and 1 less subject makes up for the added difficulty. Ultimately though it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. If you hate the other higher that you are doing this year it might be worth crashing a higher but that will come with stresses of its own.

Remember aswell you will have to set a bit of time aside later in the year to practice for your UCAT.

Hopefully this was helpful and didn't leave you with more questions than answers 😂.

Good luck with whatever it is that you decide to do and with applying to medicine next year!
Okay thank you for your advice!! I am considering taking 3 Adv Highers but I don’t really want to take it in English which leaves me with maths 😬
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isabelle_04)
Okay thank you for your advice!! I am considering taking 3 Adv Highers but I don’t really want to take it in English which leaves me with maths 😬
it's definitely better to go with a third subject that you enjoy and are more likely to do well in, whether that be a crash higher or an advanced higher.
all scottish medical schools will make your conditions BBB (except edinburgh where conditions are BB (two advanced highers)) .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.76%
Uncertainty around my education (420)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (321)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (401)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (128)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (174)
6.09%
Loneliness (248)
8.68%
Financial worries (103)
3.61%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (116)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.59%
Lack of real life entertainment (153)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (253)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (272)
9.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise