DiamondDia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is the food at Uni cantines good? How much does it roughly cost to get food from the cantine? Am I better off making my own packed lunch? Anyone wanna share their experiences?
kiran163
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would prepare my own food and go on a weekly shop and buy stuff to make nice lunches to switch things up, i dont know for all unis but the food is generally nice and a mixture of fast food and healthier stuff, still expensive Tho.
Last edited by kiran163; 1 month ago
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The food at my uni was great there was a big selection from things like hot dogs and all day breakfast to lasagna to salads to breakfast cereal. then I discovered the union had great food lamb sticks with sweet chilli dip and a massive selection of burgers and a great breakfast menu. It usually costs about the same as a Mc Donalds but you do get quite good portions and usually it's quite good.

That said it does vary I've had lunch at Reading Portsmout and Solent all were good but it's got to be said Readings is baked potato is top quality.
martin7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiamondDia)
Is the food at Uni cantines good? How much does it roughly cost to get food from the cantine? Am I better off making my own packed lunch? Anyone wanna share their experiences?
It'll probably be cheaper to make your own packed lunch -- the cost at the university will include the cost of the food, plus the cost of the staff who prepare it, take the payment, clean the tables, etc. (Compare the cost of making your own cheese and tomato sandwich from a loaf of bread, a block of cheese and a tomato compared to what you might pay in a supermarket.)

How you factor this in will depend on your budget. If you've got some spare cash then it's certainly convenient to grab a takeaway coffee and a sandwich. If you're strapped for cash, making your own sandwich and a flask of coffee at home before you set off will be cheaper.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

At Liverpool, food on campus is super affordable and I tend to buy nibbles across campus which is really handy!
There's Tesco, which is great if I'm looking for a quick meal deal
There's Starbucks/Costa, which is great if I'm meeting up with friends for lunch if we're all on campus (hopefully will return to this once everything is back to normal!)
There's The Sphinx/The Font, which is great if you want a bit of a 'pub grub!'
There's often food stalls on Uni square, which is great to try something new and try something a bit different / fresh!
There's food sold at The Guild, which is great because it's super affordable - I would recommend the burritos!
As well, during Freshers, free food would often be given out on campus (from noodles to pizza), so it was amazing to grab a bite in between lectures completely free! Hopefully (fingers crossed!) we can return to this when all government restrictions are lifted.

But, if you're on a strict budget, making a packed lunch is probably best - especially if you're meal planning. Saying that, it's really good to know that if you were ever hungry / forgot your lunch, then there would be affordable options on campus for you

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably varies considerably between unis, and also within a given uni as usually unis have multiple food venues (coffee shops, some kind of shop that sells sandwiches or meal deals, canteen type places where you can get hot food, a student pub usually that sells food) with different price points etc. At Exeter the main shop in the forum usually sold decent sandwiches and other food at decent prices, although often if you didn't get there early enough all the "good" sandwiches would be gone. The SU pub was standard chain pub fare and cost about as much, you could just as well go to the Wetherspoons down the road (and you probably wouldn't go to either that often unless there was a particular reason to be eating there). Nearby/on campus coffee shops had the stuff you would expect, at the prices you would expect; nice, but probably too expensive to buy every day.

No matter what making your own lunch will be cheaper though, just as for any kind of bought food you are partially paying for the convenience of having it prepared for you (either before buying it or when you buy it). You can also (potentially) take advantage of some small economies of scale by buying non-perishable (or freezable) goods in bulk when they are on offer from a cheaper supermarket if you are making your own lunch. Also bear in mind, some days you might only have one or two lectures on campus and could conceivably eat lunch at home otherwise.

In my experiences, at Exeter for days where I'd be on campus all day I'd usually just buy a flapjack or a sandwich (the former being about as energy-providing but also quicker to eat lol) and a drink, and then otherwise eat at home for the most part though which would cost me like £1-2 I guess on those long days (usually once or twice a week, depending on my timetable). It was cheap enough that it didn't break the bank, but also meant I didn't need to worry about preparing food before I went to uni (at the time I was not really one to be getting up early, or even at a regular time, lol). When I was at Southampton and lived only a 5 min walk away from campus I always ate at home though, because there wasn't really any reason not to unless I was hanging out with friends at a coffee shop or something (and even then I'd usually just get a drink and eat at home; I don't think I ever ate anything on campus at Soton ).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It varies a lot. Most universities have several options. You'll normally get cafes that serve jacket potatoes/sandwiches/soups which are alright, normally good but obviously cost £2-4 a day which if your on a tight budget (as most students are) it adds up if you get it everyday.

You'll also have places that served decent meals everyday and nice restaurants.

You'll find what works for you, I used to take my own food but if I was feeling lazy id buy something on campus normally about once per week. although at the end of term when courseworks are pilling up and long days in the library id end up picking more stuff up on campus.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey DiamondDia,

Good question!

The food available on our university campuses is great.

There's a range of 'SALFOOD' options available, and I'm sure that's the case at most other universities too. We have a grocery shop which is sort of like a Co-op, a zero-waste store, cafes with Costa/Starbucks menus, traditional canteens and - my personal favourite - a Subway!

It might be cheaper to bring your own packed lunches made up of bits from your weekly shop, but it's nice to treat yourself to a meal deal or a coffee now and again! If I'm studying on campus, I like to reward myself with a hot chocolate or whatever I'm fancying once I've hit my word count or finished a set of notes, for example.

Stay well

Sophie - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (195)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (431)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (531)
13.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.93%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.02%
Loneliness (324)
8.41%
Financial worries (142)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (344)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.37%

Watched Threads