Your thoughts on Dr Seuss and racism?

Watch
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Depends on the context, if they were being used as a tool to offend then yes. But if they are being used as a means of teaching about the past then no.
Let's suppose that it wasn't being used as a means of teaching the past. If a childrens book contained those caricatures, would it be wrong for a publisher to refuse printing / selling the book?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Let's suppose that it wasn't being used as a means of teaching the past. If a childrens book contained those caricatures, would it be wrong for a publisher to refuse printing / selling the book?
No, not if the books were written today.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ascend)
In light of the current woke zeitgeist and its successful pressure campaigns, I'd say the term is accurate. It's like saying someone like Donald McNeil simply resigned (cancelled himself) and was not fired
I don't agree. "Bans" typically take the form of an official or legal restriction placed upon individuals, in this case content creators and right holders. "Woke zeitgeists" or pressure campaigns might demand restrictions but these certainly aren't official or legal by any means.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, not if the books were written today.
So why would make it wrong for a publisher to refuse printing / selling such a book that was made in the past?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So why would make it wrong for a publisher to refuse printing / selling such a book that was made in the past?
As I have already said, it is classic literature and art.

Would you support the removing of all literature and art that could be deemed offensive?
TCA2b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It doesn't do much of value to the teaching of critical thinking to just censor/remove art which one happens to find objectionable in some respect or other, nor would one ever learn much of the past in that way, or of the importance of context. And it is very amenable to a slippery slope. Increasingly I find "slippery slopes" - far from being a fallacy - to be something closer to an inevitability when it comes to the tendency to abuse power.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As I have already said, it is classic literature and art.

Would you support the removing of all literature and art that could be deemed offensive?
Clearly it is classic literature and art, that's sort of the definition of "a book that was made in the past". My question is why the age of a book should take precedent over it's content?
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TCA2b)
It doesn't do much of value to the teaching of critical thinking to just censor/remove art which one happens to find objectionable in some respect or other, nor would one ever learn much of the past in that way, or of the importance of context. And it is very amenable to a slippery slope. Increasingly I find "slippery slopes" - far from being a fallacy - to be something closer to an inevitability when it comes to the tendency to abuse power.
The target audience of these books are probably too young to grasp the nuances of historical context and critical thinking.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Clearly it is classic literature and art, that's sort of the definition of "a book that was made in the past". My question is why the age of a book should take precedent over it's content?
Because works of art and literature should be viewed in the context in which they were created. I think children to do have the capacity to see it in context, maybe not all children but then again not all adults understand context either.

So I ask again, would you support the removal of all works of art and literature that could be deemed offensive?
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh? Your last reply gave the impression that you took the joke seriously.
But you're not joking in the context as in you support censorship Via the above justification.

I think Stewart Lee is wrong although I appreciate his comedic talent.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because works of art and literature should be viewed in the context in which they were created. I think children to do have the capacity to see it in context, maybe not all children but then again not all adults understand context either.

So I ask again, would you support the removal of all works of art and literature that could be deemed offensive?
Why would you think that children do have the capacity to see it in that context? If a child simply picks one of these books off the shelf then I doubt they will already know that both A) the book is old and B) it's depictions of certain characters aren't acceptable now but were in the past. If they are being given these books for that intention, i.e. to teach them about caricatures, then I see your point but I don't think this would apply in most circumstances.

Apologies, I missed this question earlier. My answer would be no.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
But you're not joking in the context as in you support censorship Via the above justification.

I think Stewart Lee is wrong although I appreciate his comedic talent.
You said, "And this is the problem. We go from popular children books to writing racial abuse in excrement.". This implied that you believe that I think caricatures in books and racial abuse are analogous, which I don't.

I don't object to the 'censorship' that has occured here, if you can call it that.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would you think that children do have the capacity to see it in that context? If a child simply picks one of these books off the shelf then I doubt they will already know that both A) the book is old and B) it's depictions of certain characters aren't acceptable now but were in the past. If they are being given these books for that intention, i.e. to teach them about caricatures, then I see your point but I don't think this would apply in most circumstances.

Apologies, I missed this question earlier. My answer would be no.
If they are just reading it then they likely won't see any issues with it because racism is a learnt trait rather than innate. It won't turn them into overnight racists.
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They don't like the books with racist caricatures that, i'd presume, Dr. Suess didn't even like. He made the sneeches book during the Civil Rights movement, so while I understand how those books could make people uncomfortable, I think it'd be safe enough to assume that he wouldn't like those books anyways.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
They don't like the books with racist caricatures that, i'd presume, Dr. Suess didn't even like. He made the sneeches book during the Civil Rights movement, so while I understand how those books could make people uncomfortable, I think it'd be safe enough to assume that he wouldn't like those books anyways.
...why wouldn't he like them, he wrote them?!
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...why wouldn't he like them, he wrote them?!
racism isn't an innate characteristic. people change.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You said, "And this is the problem. We go from popular children books to writing racial abuse in excrement.". This implied that you believe that I think caricatures in books and racial abuse are analogous, which I don't.

I don't object to the 'censorship' that has occured here, if you can call it that.
Fair enough then , apologies, that was the impression I got from you (and others)
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ascend)
Meanwhile, Dr. Seuss book sales soar and a lucrative market for the cancelled books has been created. :laugh:

You'd think leftist censors would have learned a thing or two from autocrats and theocrats who've also fallen into the Streisand effect trap.

They have. They've learnt it's far better to censor people via proxy.

Censorship by corporations is still censorship
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Attachment 1006474

They have. They've learnt it's far better to censor people via proxy.

Censorship by corporations is still censorship
I saw that then went on ebay and it doesn't seem to be very true.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If they are just reading it then they likely won't see any issues with it because racism is a learnt trait rather than innate. It won't turn them into overnight racists.
So why ban current racist caricatures in children's books made today?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (60)
19.23%
Virtual accommodation tour (42)
13.46%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.13%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.96%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.53%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
22.44%
Speak to current students studying my course (66)
21.15%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.17%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.85%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.56%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.92%

Watched Threads