The Student Room Group

Your thoughts on Dr Seuss and racism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
So why ban current racist caricatures in children's books made today?

Because they would only be included to offend and would likely have some kind of racist addition added on.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Attachment not found

They have. They've learnt it's far better to censor people via proxy.

Censorship by corporations is still censorship

It doesn't even take a quick eBay search to realise that this screenshot is fake. 😂
Original post by DiddyDec
Because they would only be included to offend and would likely have some kind of racist addition added on.

Is that necessarily the case?

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be acceptable to give first edition copies of "The Story of Little Black Sambo" to children? It too is an old childrens book, older than Seuss' work.
Honestly never read a single one of his books but we all knwo the grinch and cat in the hat..

From wikipedia "Geisel's books express his views on a remarkable variety of social and political issues: The Lorax (1971), about environmentalism and anti-consumerism; The Sneetches (1961), about racial equality; The Butter Battle Book (1984), about the arms race; Yertle the Turtle (1958), about Adolf Hitler and anti-authoritarianism; How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1957), criticizing the materialism and consumerism of the Christmas season; and Horton Hears a Who! (1954), about anti-isolationism and internationalism."

Wait what.. how are these dangerous right wing values sounds opposite to me?

Jesus christ what is going on in this world.. all ever since George Floyd people lost their minds.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Not when they're dead lol 🤣🤣🤣

'Shakespeare would WANT us to censor Merchant if Venice if he learnt it perpetuated anti semitic tropes'

In "And to think That I saw it on Mulberry Street" he made a "yellow" character and called him a "chinaman"
he later went back on it in 1978 and removed the color and changed it to "a chinese man"

He also made the sneeches in support of the civil rights movement, so I don't think it's a far leap to assume he changed a bit and might have regretted the past racial caricatures.
Original post by SHallowvale
Is that necessarily the case?

Out of curiosity, do you think it would be acceptable to give first edition copies of "The Story of Little Black Sambo" to children? It too is an old childrens book, older than Seuss' work.

Not necessarily but likely.

I think it would because while the depictions are dated the stories within them are not racist at all.
Original post by anon1848
Honestly never read a single one of his books but we all knwo the grinch and cat in the hat..

From wikipedia "Geisel's books express his views on a remarkable variety of social and political issues: The Lorax (1971), about environmentalism and anti-consumerism; The Sneetches (1961), about racial equality; The Butter Battle Book (1984), about the arms race; Yertle the Turtle (1958), about Adolf Hitler and anti-authoritarianism; How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1957), criticizing the materialism and consumerism of the Christmas season; and Horton Hears a Who! (1954), about anti-isolationism and internationalism."

Wait what.. how are these dangerous right wing values sounds opposite to me?

Jesus christ what is going on in this world.. all ever since George Floyd people lost their minds.

It goes from one hysterical over-reaction to another. I wish some of these businesses would show more backbone and tell these 'activists' to get bent,
Original post by Tasliima
It's obviously harmful and teaches children incorrect tropes, especially to the children of colour who will see themselves as ugly and begin to hate their features for no other reason than the insensitivity of an author who shouldn't have been published to begin with.

Why do you assume it would make children of colour see themselves as ugly?
I'm ignoring the heck right of the whole thing.
The cancellation of Dr Seuss just makes me want to read more of his books
I'm just surprised by how many people agree with the decision.
It's obviously sad and pointless. Just a result of lefties on Twitter cancelling again.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan

Voila, the Streisand effect.
This reminds me of how the Nazis burnt books...
Please avoid posting misleading representations of current affairs - it isn't helpful to the discussion if the images you're posting are fake.
Thanks
Original post by 04MR17
Please avoid posting misleading representations of current affairs - it isn't helpful to the discussion if the images you're posting are fake.
Thanks

Was a genuine mistake, apologies
I feel this has been completely mischaracterised by too many people.

Certain people are going so far as to say that Dr Seuss is being "unpersonned and erased from children's literature" (legitimate quote from r/unpopularopinions) and making fake eBay removal messages, when all it was was that his estate decided to pull in a second opinion and eventually pull out 6 relatively unpopular books that had problematic caricatures.

There is a debate to be had about that, but all this alarmism about how "THE LEFT IS DESTROYING SOCIETYYYYY" is becoming asinine.

Why can't we have an honest conversation without ramping up the Fox News nonsense machine?
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't agree with censoring books written in earlier times. It's definitely important to stand up to & challenge racism + other forms of bigotry but I think this is the wrong way to go about it- you can't really hold works that were written in different eras to modern standards. If anything, some of the more problematic content could be used to educate kids about how social attitudes have changed over time
Original post by Arthur_Morgan

Dr Seuss has not been cancelled, that's melodramatic...
Original post by Ascend
Meanwhile, Dr. Seuss book sales soar

Which makes the decision to stop publishing six Dr. Seuss books a very sound business move.

Dr Seuss Enterprises are laughing all the way to the bank as those outraged by this decision are throwing money at the very people responsible.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Vapordave
Dr Seuss has not been cancelled, that's melodramatic...

What do you call this then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending