The Student Room Group

Uni Courses - Film Production

Hi, I am in year 12 and have started looking at unis but I wanted some first hand opinions.

I am looking to take a film production course and I was wondering which Unis people went/go to and how they found/are finding the course.

I would be very grateful to learn about:
Your experience on the course
Your experience in halls and then private accommodation
What you thought of the area
How you managed you money and how much of a struggle was it?
Your opinion on the uni in general
How was/is your time there

Thank you :smile:)
Original post by orla_bond
Hi, I am in year 12 and have started looking at unis but I wanted some first hand opinions.

I am looking to take a film production course and I was wondering which Unis people went/go to and how they found/are finding the course.

Hi @orla_bond

It's great that you are considering studying a course based on film production.

At hull, we have a range of Film and Media Studies based courses - https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/film-and-media-studies

Although I personally didn't study Film Studies, one of my flatmates during my undergraduate degree studied it and they really enjoyed it. They made a short film as part of their final year project and got to learn various filming techniques and use the film making and editing suite to create their finished project. Her particular favourite part of her course was learning about Disney.

During my first year, I lived in halls and I really enjoyed it and got to make some great friends and meet so many different people from all over the world. I've also had no issues living in private accommodation and I am aware of some of my friends who have remained in halls for the duration of their degree.

I personally have really enjoyed my time studying at the university (so much so that I decided to do a masters and PhD at Hull).

If you would like to find out more from a student perspective, we have an 'Ask a Student' scheme which is available on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

Hey there!

Have you checked out Plymouth College of Art yet? We have two different film courses, called BA (Hons) Film Studies and BA (Hons) Film & Screen Arts. To quickly summarise the difference between the two courses, Film Studies is more of the study of films themselves, whilst Film & Screen Arts is the study of making and producing films. In Film Studies, you'd find yourself looking at film theory, film criticism, cultural studies, creative and critical writing, and cinema and film festival programming. With BA (Hons) Film & Screen Arts, you'd be learning things such as cinematography, production design, screen direction, sound-production, set-building, lighting design, editing, visual effects, social media production and experimental image making. It seems like this may be the course that is more suited to your interests in production :smile:

If you'd like to talk to some of our current students about the courses, then please feel free to contact us at UniBuddy. We have some lovely ambassadors, one of which studies Film & Screen Arts, who would be more than happy to answer your questions about the course. Alternatively, we have some online and in-person events to help answer your questions, such as:

- [ONLINE] Student Q&A, where you can ask about student life, accommodation, finances, etc. (Monday 12th April 2021)
- [ONLINE] Personal Statement & Application Advice, where you can find out more about applying to Uni, UCAS, references, personal statements, etc. (Thursday 29th April 2021)
- [ONLINE] Accommodation Tour and Q&A (Thursday 29th April, 2021)

- Open Day, an in-person tour of the campus and facilities and a chance to ask staff and students questions (Saturday 22nd May 2021)

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions.
Lauren :smile:
Third Year Animation Student and Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi @orla_bond

I'm a 3rd-year student from the University of Lincoln who is part of the School of Film and Media here.

My experience of Media Production has been really good, I've learnt a lot while also having the freedom to explore and practise the different media types. My partner studied Film Production so I saw how the course was. They found the course fun and enjoyed learning the technical aspects of cinematography. One thing we both love and used a lot of is Media Loans; you could book out and borrow film equipment from the university which helped especially with how expensive most of it is.

I was in Lincoln Courts in the first year which is university-owned halls then moved to private accommodation for my second year, (Brayford Quays) both I really enjoyed for different reasons, 1st years had the uni atmosphere and was a little village of just uni students while the second years had bigger rooms and beds.

I have honestly fallen in love with Lincoln, it is beautiful and has such a beautiful mix of the modern and the old, with a steep hill up to a cathedral, commons with horses roaming around and a high street with all the needed stores/chains/coffee shops. Everything is walkable and there's always something to do.

I dealt with money by also getting a part-time job, with that I have been okay, but have to be careful not to spend it on pointless things too much. Uni has been a fun experience in which I have met people who I will always keep in my life while also learning about things I love.

If you want to know more about the Film Production course at the University of Lincoln then you can here!
If you have any questions for a student of the LSFM then you can ask through Uni Buddy here!

Hope this helps!
-Ellie
3rd year Media Production Student
Reply 4

Hello! I'm currently in my second year at the Screen and Film School in Brighton doing a BA in Film Production!

I'm loving the course so far, it's a very hands-on and practical course and despite COVID, we've still been allowed on site at times for practical lessons and allowed to book out kit for shoots! It's a very creative and welcoming environment which I love, all the lecturers just want whats best for you and to succeed.
I love Brighton so much, I moved here for uni and it's such a fun, creative, vibrant city... and it's so friendly! I've lived in houses both years rather than halls and I think for me it was the best thing to do, I really loved it. The uni does offer accommodation though which is good.
Money as a student is always difficult, but with student finance and finding part-time work, it's not too bad. I also get jobs from time to time through uni like open days etc which they pay you for your time so that's a great small source of income too!
Overall, even despite COVID, my time at uni so far has been so great. I've made so many friends and also industry connections, I've already made so many projects through meeting people and working with the sister uni's such as BIMM to collaborate with music students for music videos. Going to uni in Brighton is just so fun and I love my course and uni experience!

I hope this helps!
Lucy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending