dinomedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi everyone. so im 17 and yesterday i applied for a part time job at costa because it was only 8 hours so perfect to do alongside school.

i had to complete a situational judgment test, which i thought would be fairly simple but in my results it said i had a low fit for the job. i tried to choose answers which would follow costa guidelines and also ones which would give the customer a good experience so im completely in the dark as to where i went wrong.

needless to say i got my rejection email today which im not too upset about but i was hoping maybe someone has advice for future tests? anything i could do to do well on similar tests in the future?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by dinomedic)
hi everyone. so im 17 and yesterday i applied for a part time job at costa because it was only 8 hours so perfect to do alongside school.

i had to complete a situational judgment test, which i thought would be fairly simple but in my results it said i had a low fit for the job. i tried to choose answers which would follow costa guidelines and also ones which would give the customer a good experience so im completely in the dark as to where i went wrong.

needless to say i got my rejection email today which im not too upset about but i was hoping maybe someone has advice for future tests? anything i could do to do well on similar tests in the future?
Unless you can magically become older (implying more skills and responsibility) and gain experience of being a barista overnight, you can’t really improve as changes are you didn’t actually do anything ‘wrong’ just that there were looking for the people with experience
Last edited by WantBeAnonymous; 3 months ago
nikkiblonsky
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

get a sugardaddy to bribe the employees, then again if you have a sugardaddy you dont need the job lmao
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd recommend searching a bit about situation judgment tests for retail and/or service positions in general, as well as the company you are specifically applying to, before undertaking them. Often people have posted helpful advice about these online, because very often it isn't clear what the "correct" answer was and the logic behind it can sometimes seem a bit odd.

I can sympathise having been doing some of these myself recently, and having done so in the past; very often the "right" answer seems completely arbitrary! Oftentimes it's a case of balancing "the customer is right" with "not causing more work for your coworkers or costing the business money", which can be a difficult line to balance I'm aware

But if you do a bit of searching beforehand you might get lucky and find some advice on the specific kinds of things the company you are applying to is looking for, and if not there will definitely be some more general advice out there
dinomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd recommend searching a bit about situation judgment tests for retail and/or service positions in general, as well as the company you are specifically applying to, before undertaking them. Often people have posted helpful advice about these online, because very often it isn't clear what the "correct" answer was and the logic behind it can sometimes seem a bit odd.

I can sympathise having been doing some of these myself recently, and having done so in the past; very often the "right" answer seems completely arbitrary! Oftentimes it's a case of balancing "the customer is right" with "not causing more work for your coworkers or costing the business money", which can be a difficult line to balance I'm aware

But if you do a bit of searching beforehand you might get lucky and find some advice on the specific kinds of things the company you are applying to is looking for, and if not there will definitely be some more general advice out there
thank you for your reply. glad to know im not just stupid lol. i guess ill look around on google before taking another one, thanks again
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thank you for your reply. glad to know im not just stupid lol. i guess ill look around on google before taking another one, thanks again
yeah it is just a very arbitrary way to filter applicants, I guess because they get so many; it is frustrating to get rejected from a job where I'm like "I 100% know I can do this job" because of something random like that though

I found it helpful to search around a bit, the first one I did was for tesco and I had no idea what to expect and I failed it, I more recently did one for Aldi which I passed, because in part I think I'd found a helpful post somewhere explaining some of the reasoning from someone that worked there. Of course I was unsuccessful in that role anyway from the rest of the application, but at least I passed the SJT bit I guess
QueenKagami
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

why not try starbucks
dinomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
yeah it is just a very arbitrary way to filter applicants, I guess because they get so many; it is frustrating to get rejected from a job where I'm like "I 100% know I can do this job" because of something random like that though

I found it helpful to search around a bit, the first one I did was for tesco and I had no idea what to expect and I failed it, I more recently did one for Aldi which I passed, because in part I think I'd found a helpful post somewhere explaining some of the reasoning from someone that worked there. Of course I was unsuccessful in that role anyway from the rest of the application, but at least I passed the SJT bit I guess
oh well congrats on passing the aldi test! seems like an achievement considering how weird these tests are
dinomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by QueenKagami)
why not try starbucks
theyre not hiring sadly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (117)
27.02%
England (154)
35.57%
Belgium (33)
7.62%
Germany (42)
9.7%
Spain (10)
2.31%