The Student Room Group

Pontin's has been refusing admission to those with "undesirable" Irish surnames

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RJDG14
Holiday site operator Pontin's (basically a worse version of Butlin's) has been sharing a list with its staff advising them to refuse admission to those with one of about 80 surnames, mostly those associated with Irish people and Irish travellers, and has been struck down by the government:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf07Rzd-FNc

This is blatant discrimination, and I'm shocked how such discrimination could still occur from a chain in the UK in the 2020s.

To be quite honest, Pontin's sites look pretty terrible from the pictures I looked up - they make Butlin's look good by comparison, and are neglected, outdated and shabby. A couple have also recently made the decision to ban children and become adults only holiday sites, and I don't really see what facilities they have for adults aside from a working men's club style bar.

Couldn’t think of anywhere worse to go. To think people actually go on holiday to them sort of places lol.
Reply 21
Original post by harrysbar
I just watched that clip and Pontins looks more like a prison than a place to go on holiday.

The negative publicity will have bought them one step closer to closing down, which can only be a good thing.

Pontin's kind of reminds me a little of a Stalinist-style "Workers' Holiday Camp Paradise" from the USSR in the 1950s, in my opinion. Soviet sanotoriums then were probably similar to North Korean sites today.
(edited 3 years ago)
I agree with the sentiment about how downmarket Pontin's is. No wonder many people are almost desperate for a holiday abroad this year.
Reply 23
Original post by barnet1471
I agree with the sentiment about how downmarket Pontin's is. No wonder many people are almost desperate for a holiday abroad this year.

Most of the holidays I've been on with my family have been within the UK, but we always try and choose a nice place to stay (usually an independently rented holiday home in the north of England or Scotland).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending