The Student Room Group

History Paragraph on the First World War

Hey all!

I was just wondering if anyone could help me on a paragraph I was working on for history. I was just having some trouble on formulating a cohesive answer to the (well... I feel slightly vague) question. Any help would be much appreciated - I know I hate it when people basically just ask for help and don't really talk about what they've tried etc. at the beginning, but it is kind of just that simple... I'm a bit stuck and some help for the question would be so greatly appreciated!

Here's the question (+ some background):

Review what we have discussed about Lawrence of Arabia and the Battle of Jutland. These are very different theatres of war, both of which were far away from the Western Front one out in the stormy waters of the North Sea, and the other in the hot sands of the Arabian desert. But despite being far from the main focus of the war in Norther France, both were still very closely tied to it, because the imperial powers relied on trade routes through the Middle East for resources like rubber and tin from Southeast Asia (Malaya), as well as beef and mutton for the soldiers from Australia and New Zealand.

What do both of these wider theatres of war tell us about the First World War as a whole? Write a short analysis (a paragraph of 6-7 sentences), including the following points:

1) Inter-imperial rivalry and competition for resources between empires

2) British military despair at stagnant and bloody nature of trench warfare, compared to quick 'easy' victories of Lawrence's campaign in Arabia

3) British public’s desire for good news and ‘romantic’ war stories, after so much horror from the trenches on the Western Front

4) Significance of naval supremacy in Battle of Jutland, with respect to protecting global trade routes of the British empire (resources and food for soldiers)

5) Significance of Lawrence’s conquests in Arabia (Syria), in terms of modern countries that were shaped by the fall of the Ottoman Empire (Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria, Palestine/Israel, Lebanon)

Quick Reply

Latest