Help with history essay early elizabethan england

Watch
inaya saleq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
‘The Spanish Armada was the biggest threat to Elizabeth between 1569-1588’. How far do you agree? (16)
You may use the following in your answer:
Revolt of the Northern Earls
The Netherlands
You must also use information of your own.
I disagree with the statement to a far extent as the Spanish Armada posed a threat but not the greatest. Despite it theoretically looking as though it’d be successful it failed due to Elizabeth’s powerful leadership.King Philip sent 130 ships, 2431 guns, 30,000 men which could've been a great threat however it did not directly threaten Elizabeth's position as monarch in England. The Armada effectively displayed Elizabeth’s strong leadership and showcased England's superior navy. The Spanish were poorly armed and were extremely inexperienced. Before the Armada was able to cause any threat to Elizabeth's position, England had already defeated them making the Spanish Armada not much of a threat to Elizabeth.
The Netherlands posed the least threat to Elizabeth as it only caused more tension between England and Spain. England's involvement with the Netherlands was more helpful than harmful as it gave the spanish something else to focus on other than England ,giving England time to prepare. Elizabeth became involved indirectly helping through direct intervention, sending force under Robert Dudley. The situation in the Netherlands only led to more build up of stress from king philip leading to the launch of the armada. The Netherlands could have potentially been a threat however it was a violation of the arrangement between the dutch and spanish, England did not conspire with the dutch to rebel against the spanish.
The greatest threat Elizabeth faced was the revolt of the Northern Earls.The aim of the revolt was to remove Elizabeth from the throne and replace her with Queen Mary of Scots in the ideals of restoring Catholicism. This idea was supported by a wide scale of people in England giving the Earls power to try and overthrow elizabeth. Many people were not happy with Elizabeth's religious settlement especially in mainly catholic areas like the north. Even though the revolt began badly with the arrest of the Duke of Norfolk november 1st, the earl of Westmorland and Northumberland led the rebellion in Durham Cathedral performing an illegal Catholic mass. Due to the amount of Catholics that wanted to overthrow Elizabeth this could have potentially been successful however the back up they received from spain was easily outmatched by England's men failing the rebellion.
(ANY ADVICE PLEASE TO MAKE THIS GET FULL MARKS)OUT OF 16
Hannah.Sx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are the paragraphs what you wrote?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (360)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (265)
10.9%
Lack of purpose or motivation (342)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (112)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (145)
5.96%
Loneliness (210)
8.64%
Financial worries (91)
3.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (103)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (117)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (128)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (210)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (229)
9.42%

Watched Threads