does where i study an undergrad matter?

Watch
tasneemx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
does where I study my undergraduate degree (law) matter if I'm planning on doing a postgraduate in a prestigious uni?
axxxxxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tasneemx)
does where I study my undergraduate degree (law) matter if I'm planning on doing a postgraduate in a prestigious uni?
Short answer: No.
As long as you achieve the required grades and meet the 'criteria' of what they look for in a candidate then you're good to go. (I'm not doing law; this is a general answer)
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What exactly are you asking?

Are you asking if the postgrad uni will accept you, if you want to a not as good one for undergrad

or

Are you asking if having a good postgrad will mitigate crap undergrad when job seeking?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll be fine.

I'm not sure about law in particular, but it's worth keeping postgrad options in mind when choosing your modules, in terms of what direction you want to go in. (lets you show strong background knowledge, etc.)
tasneemx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trinculo)
What exactly are you asking?

Are you asking if the postgrad uni will accept you, if you want to a not as good one for undergrad

or

Are you asking if having a good postgrad will mitigate crap undergrad when job seeking?
second question
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
second question
What's the problem with your undergrad uni? Are you doing your undergrad at the moment?
tasneemx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
What's the problem with your undergrad uni? Are you doing your undergrad at the moment?
no, i have to make a decision of which uni to firm, i have gotten offers from some good unis however because im an international student the fees are through the roof. the uni im thinking of firming now is alright however i saw some people saying employability is hard if you haven't attended a higher-ranked uni
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
second question
Personally, I think it depends on the margins. If you are talking about law at Middlesex and then LLM at Oxford - chances are that people will only care that you were up for your Postgrad. If you are talking Surrey and then Kings - not so much.

It also depends where you're intending to work (country) and if you're intending to practise.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no, i have to make a decision of which uni to firm, i have gotten offers from some good unis however because im an international student the fees are through the roof. the uni im thinking of firming now is alright however i saw some people saying employability is hard if you haven't attended a higher-ranked uni
Oh, I see. What universities are they and what are the fees? You'll have to take living costs into account as well. Are you wanting to do a master's in the UK and then practice Law in the UK too?
tasneemx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Oh, I see. What universities are they and what are the fees? You'll have to take living costs into account as well. Are you wanting to do a master's in the UK and then practice Law in the UK too?
Nottingham Trent which is like 15500, and about 21700 with accommodation fees, that's the "cheapest" it could get. I've applied 4 a scholarship so really hoping id get it.
I'm not sure about where id like to do my masters or work but most likely the UK
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nottingham Trent which is like 15500, and about 21700 with accommodation fees, that's the "cheapest" it could get. I've applied 4 a scholarship so really hoping id get it.
I'm not sure about where id like to do my masters or work but most likely the UK
Fingers crossed regarding the scholarships! :fluffy:
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You never know what judgements employers might make in the future, so on the precautionary principle, why risk it and go for lower than you can achieve? Law is a career that pays on the basis of success later on, but early on in a career academic excellence is all you've got going for you. A strong undergrad + strong postgrad is nearly always going to be viewed as stronger than weak undergrad + strong postgrad cp.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (122)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (368)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (271)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (350)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (113)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (150)
6.04%
Loneliness (213)
8.58%
Financial worries (92)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (131)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (215)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (232)
9.35%

Watched Threads