Is it worth budgeting for food or just eating what you like?

Watch
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My mum told me not to budget for food and to buy whatever I like and not think too much of the price, as food should bring joy?
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
My mum told me not to budget for food and to buy whatever I like and not think too much of the price, as food should bring joy?
agree. I buy what I want to eat and not worry too much. Things might change now though.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If that is based around cooking from scratch for yourself, and you have sufficient funds, then good food is good for you. It doesn't work if you are short of money and want to live on posh ready meals and eating out/takeaways
MindMax2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Within reason I suppose. My annual food budget can be as high as £1500 (or £30 per week), which is usually nothing for most people.
Some people have theirs as high as £120 a week, or 4x as much (I don't know what they're buying).

My budget includes everything I would need to cook from scratch, is deemed relatively healthy (nothing sugary, fattening, bad for your body), whilst still be able to help me with my fitness goals. You can be surprised by how much food you can have for £30.

You can also cook relatively good dishes with relatively cheap products. A lot of the high end restaurants can use very basic and cheap ingredients e.g. pasta dishes are mostly cooked flour with tomato sauce and olive oil. The quality of the dish is made with skill as opposed to ingredients. A lot of these basic dishes can be surprisingly healthy.
I've been meaning to learn how to cook well using masterclass.com.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Within reason yes but id still suggest budgeting just so you dont end up overspending. Food can bring joy but having no money because youve spent loads on fancy food wont
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on your income, diet, any health or medical issues and whether you prefer to homecook from scratch.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on how much money you have to spend really. I used to budget at uni, now I don't really have to but I still prefer paying less if I can.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nom nom nom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads