The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes - Msc Occupational Therapy 21/22

Hi! I wondered if anyone has accepted an offer to study MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) at Oxford Brookes? I had my interview a month ago and have been offered a place which I've accepted. I'd love to get to know others that will be going 😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReynoOT
Hi! I wondered if anyone has accepted an offer to study MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-reg) at Oxford Brookes? I had my interview a month ago and have been offered a place which I've accepted. I'd love to get to know others that will be going 😊

Hi I’m applying to the masters at a different uni. Can I ask what your undergrad is in? And was they expecting much work experience In the current situation
Reply 2
Original post by emilypotter
Hi I’m applying to the masters at a different uni. Can I ask what your undergrad is in? And was they expecting much work experience In the current situation

Of course ☺️ my undergrad is in Biology and Psychology combined (I did a 50/50 split). I think Brookes were quite understanding and mindful of the difficulties applicants have faced in getting any work experience - I attended a Q&A session before applying and they said that experience in any caring setting would be welcome and an understanding of the role of an OT. I didn't have any work experience directly shadowing OTs although I used to work alongside them as a TA at a SEN school. I hope that's helpful!
Original post by ReynoOT
Of course ☺️ my undergrad is in Biology and Psychology combined (I did a 50/50 split). I think Brookes were quite understanding and mindful of the difficulties applicants have faced in getting any work experience - I attended a Q&A session before applying and they said that experience in any caring setting would be welcome and an understanding of the role of an OT. I didn't have any work experience directly shadowing OTs although I used to work alongside them as a TA at a SEN school. I hope that's helpful!

That’s great thank you so much, glad to see they’re understanding. I work alongside OTs everyday as a nurse so I feel I do have experience but I’m worried I haven’t branched out enough as I would have liked
Reply 4
Original post by emilypotter
That’s great thank you so much, glad to see they’re understanding. I work alongside OTs everyday as a nurse so I feel I do have experience but I’m worried I haven’t branched out enough as I would have liked

Sounds like you have much more experience than many so I'm sure you won't have any issues! I think they have to be understanding as they struggled to get their own students into placements at one stage of the pandemic
Reply 5
Original post by ReynoOT

I just accepted my offer for the Occupational Therapy MSc at Brookes, so I’ll be there in the fall as well. I can’t PM on here yet, but I’d be happy to chat soon.
Reply 6
Hey! First time using Student Room so hoping this posts okay... I've also confirmed my place at Brookes for the Occupational Therapy MSc. Very excited already and would be good to connect with others before starting in Sept ☺️
Hey! I have a accepted a place in Oxford Brookes too! :smile:
Reply 8
Hey,

I've submitted my application today! Quite late tbh but hoping to get in.
Were the uni quick at getting back to uni? My other choice of Uni have been so slow at getting back to me.
Well done to whoever has got in :smile:

Thanks,
Dan
Reply 9
Original post by dtoint
Hey,

Were the uni quick at getting back to uni? My other choice of Uni have been so slow at getting back to me.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

I submitted my application in early December, but wasn't offered an interview until early Feb (not sure if other people had similar experiences) so you might have a bit of a wait but I know they do recruit up until the start date for MSc if they still have places available.
My interview was with both BSc and MSc students but there was only myself and one other interviewee going for the MSc, but again not sure what others experiences were like.
Wishing you all the best!
Claire
Original post by dtoint
Hey,

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan! I had a fairly similar experience to Claire in terms of timescales. Applied early Feb, was offered an interview about a month after applying and had the interview mid April - then was offered a place a week after. I found the whole process with Brookes to be really well organised and I like that they gave you a decision really quick after interview. There was around 45 of us for the group interview, mainly MSc applicants so I get the impression people apply for the masters programme much later than for the undergrad. All the best for your application! 😊
Original post by NikkiJ94
Hi Dan! I had a fairly similar experience to Claire in terms of timescales. Applied early Feb, was offered an interview about a month after applying and had the interview mid April - then was offered a place a week after. I found the whole process with Brookes to be really well organised and I like that they gave you a decision really quick after interview. There was around 45 of us for the group interview, mainly MSc applicants so I get the impression people apply for the masters programme much later than for the undergrad. All the best for your application! 😊

Hey Nikki,

Would you like to connect with the rest of us who have been accepted?☺️
Original post by Clairem12
Hey Nikki,

Would you like to connect with the rest of us who have been accepted?☺️

Yes plz! I can't respond to PM's but drop me a message with the details
Yes plz! I can't respond to PM's but drop me a message with the details

I can’t pm either! 😂 Have you got IG or FB?
Reply 14
Original post by ReynoOT
Hi Dan,

I submitted my application in early December, but wasn't offered an interview until early Feb (not sure if other people had similar experiences) so you might have a bit of a wait but I know they do recruit up until the start date for MSc if they still have places available.
My interview was with both BSc and MSc students but there was only myself and one other interviewee going for the MSc, but again not sure what others experiences were like.
Wishing you all the best!
Claire

Hey! thanks for getting back to me! Was it a virtual group interview? I can't imagine whats thats like!
Reply 15

Hey! Was it a virtual group interview? I can't imagine it :smile: thanks for the info! Have you applied anywhere else?
Reply 16
Original post by dtoint
Hey! thanks for getting back to me! Was it a virtual group interview? I can't imagine whats thats like!

Yes it was over Zoom, using break out roms which worked really well. We had a presentation about the course/Brookes, then watched videos of a service user and discussed them in smaller groups with prompt questions from facilitators, and we had an opportunity to ask questions at the end. The format makes you feel quite relaxed, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, they didn't really ask any typical interview questions and we're more interested in how you interacted in a group setting. For the MSc interview there was also a written task that was given 2 days before my interview and I had to return it the evening before my interview
Original post by dtoint
Hey! Was it a virtual group interview? I can't imagine it :smile: thanks for the info! Have you applied anywhere else?

Hi Dan,

I applied in early April and had an interview over Zoom a few weeks later. Oxford Brookes was very responsive and fast compared to the other universities to which I applied. I'm on the west coast of the US, so I ended up with an individual interview just because of time zones, but it was very similar to the group interview experience- just a nice chat about the material they presented in addition to my experience and my interests. I also applied to Brunel, Southampton, East Anglia, Edinburgh Napier, and Glasgow Caledonian, but I accepted my offer at Brookes before interviewing anywhere else. Best of luck to you!
Original post by dtoint
Hey,

Thanks,
Dan

I have just submitted my application three days ago! I thought I was too late so it's nice to hear there are others in the same boat
Reply 19
Hey Nikki, I have been accepted by Oxford Brookes for the Masters in Occupational Therapy this September, what is the best way to connect with the group?

Quick Reply

Latest