How can I get 9s in my GCSE sciences

Watch
AestheticDaisy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
heyy, so i would like some tips and advice on how to get 9s in my sciences (im in yr 9 rn)
i'd also like tips and advice on how to get 8-9s on nearly all my GCSEs
hope i get some good tips
ty x
strongCoolboy777
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AestheticDaisy)
heyy, so i would like some tips and advice on how to get 9s in my sciences (im in yr 9 rn)
ty x
bro u saying 9 9 like its some ez shiz, bruv what grade u on right now?
aiwiloistyping
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's quite difficult to get just 8s and 9s at GCSE level but definitely achievable.
For sciences (I do Combined OCR Gateway btw and have a predicted grade of 9-9) it's all about connecting the dots - everything links in some way.
For memorisation I create flashcards - 5 questions at the front (eg about the nervous system) then have everything I need to know about it on the other side, which also answers all of the questions. Then sometimes I just pick up a flashcard and answer the questions - flip it around and if you wrote down all of the key points from that flashcard then you're good to go, if not memorise it and try again 15 minutes later. Practise questions are also a big help but only if you've covered most of the content. Good luck!
AestheticDaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by aiwiloistyping)
It's quite difficult to get just 8s and 9s at GCSE level but definitely achievable.
For sciences (I do Combined OCR Gateway btw and have a predicted grade of 9-9) it's all about connecting the dots - everything links in some way.
For memorisation I create flashcards - 5 questions at the front (eg about the nervous system) then have everything I need to know about it on the other side, which also answers all of the questions. Then sometimes I just pick up a flashcard and answer the questions - flip it around and if you wrote down all of the key points from that flashcard then you're good to go, if not memorise it and try again 15 minutes later. Practise questions are also a big help but only if you've covered most of the content. Good luck!
okii, tysm for the tips x
Kabzzzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's difficult to say because everyone has a unique learning style that helps them the most. For me it's writing down my notes, whether it's pen/paper or iPad/pencil. And for science, I like to take my time to draw diagrams. They're often quite complex and you'd be surprised how much you'll take in by investing that time rather than just printing one out.

At GCSE level, I'm pretty sure you can get all of your content from a revision book, though don't quote me on that as it's been over a decade! So I guess having a good routine, working through revision books and taking notes should be enough.
AestheticDaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
It's difficult to say because everyone has a unique learning style that helps them the most. For me it's writing down my notes, whether it's pen/paper or iPad/pencil. And for science, I like to take my time to draw diagrams. They're often quite complex and you'd be surprised how much you'll take in by investing that time rather than just printing one out.

At GCSE level, I'm pretty sure you can get all of your content from a revision book, though don't quote me on that as it's been over a decade! So I guess having a good routine, working through revision books and taking notes should be enough.
ooh okay, ty
AA..
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AestheticDaisy)
ty x
I'm in year 9 too, and the best tip I have is to use Seneca.
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I sat my GCSEs in June 2019 and achieved a grade 9 in all three of the sciences. My advice:

1. Try understand the concept that you’re learning instead of just memorising it. I watched freesciencelessons to do this as Dr Donelly provides some really insightful explanations in my opinion.

2. Try to make flashcards and review them regularly as these will help tricky topics stick in your head.

3. Do past paper questions in order to get a feel for what the examiner is looking for. After doing a question, mark it using the mark scheme to see where you’ve gone wrong, as opposed to doing the whole of paper in one go. Phsyicsandmathstutor is really good for this.

4. Try being independent. For instance, for the suvat, electricity and force equations, try to derive them yourself instead of memorising the derivations.

Admittedly, this advice is probably better taken on when you’re in year 10 or 11. At year 9, I would advise you to just try your best in lessons, listen to your teacher and most importantly review your notes regularly. Good luck!!
Last edited by Pyruvic Acid; 1 month ago
AestheticDaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
Hi, I sat my GCSEs in June 2019 and achieved a grade 9 in all three of the sciences. My advice:

1. Try understand the concept that you’re learning instead of just memorising it. I watched freesciencelessons to do this as Dr Donelly provides some really insightful explanations in my opinion.

2. Try to make flashcards and review them regularly as these will help tricky topics stick in your head.

3. Do past paper questions in order to get a feel for what the examiner is looking for. After doing a question, mark it using the mark scheme to see where you’ve gone wrong, as opposed to doing the whole of paper in one go. Phsyicsandmathstutor is really good for this.

4. Try being independent. For instance, for the suvat, electricity and force equations, try to derive them yourself instead of memorising the derivations.

Admittedly, this advice is probably better taken on when you’re in year 10 or 11. At year 9, I would advise you to just try your best in lessons, listen to your teacher and most importantly review your notes regularly. Good luck!!
ooohh tysm for the advice and tips!! i'll keep that in mind
tyyyy xx
Starfish13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Revision is the best way to get 9s
Try do some extra reading on your subjects out of school
Ask if you don’t understand something
Try past exam papers
Good luck
alwaysneedadvice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've seen this question so many times so I made a post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ht=GCSE%20Tips I just suggest some websites, youtube videos and revision techniques on that post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.17%
Uncertainty around my education (296)
15%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (209)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.36%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.68%
Loneliness (173)
8.77%
Financial worries (70)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (87)
4.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.87%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.48%

Watched Threads