Danny768
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in sixthform right now and want to go to uni but I'm thinking of deferring for a year and do an extra year in college. My question is would it be worth it?
Diya_hem14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If its what you rlly want to do then yes I think it would be worth it, as an extra year isn’t going to do you any bad but it’s going to help you and you would be able to learn new things
dykeon1c
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I took a year after my A-Levels to do another year at my college to gain another A-Level grade that has actually allowed me to move onto the studies of my choosing. In normal times, I would have also been mentoring alongside my studies, but.......... yanno. Pandemic.
It's been a great experience for me so far, but most of it's been spent in lockdown. I wasn't really in the mental space to go to Uni straight after A-Levels, and I think the extra year has really helped me get my ducks into order and really think about what I want from my degree
If you aren't quite sure about Uni this year, I'd really recommend doing a year out. You can spend the time working and gaining a little extra independent studying experience/another A-Level before moving onto Uni. Plus, hopefully the world will be a little bit more back to normal before you go!
something_orphic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dykeon1c)
I took a year after my A-Levels to do another year at my college to gain another A-Level grade that has actually allowed me to move onto the studies of my choosing. In normal times, I would have also been mentoring alongside my studies, but.......... yanno. Pandemic.
It's been a great experience for me so far, but most of it's been spent in lockdown. I wasn't really in the mental space to go to Uni straight after A-Levels, and I think the extra year has really helped me get my ducks into order and really think about what I want from my degree
If you aren't quite sure about Uni this year, I'd really recommend doing a year out. You can spend the time working and gaining a little extra independent studying experience/another A-Level before moving onto Uni. Plus, hopefully the world will be a little bit more back to normal before you go!
Yea i agree with this. You kind of need to have ur heart into going to uni. You can go to uni anytime, there is no rush. You want to make sure you go at the best time for you.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Danny768)
I'm in sixthform right now and want to go to uni but I'm thinking of deferring for a year and do an extra year in college. My question is would it be worth it?
Hey Danny768

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I was in a similar position to you before I started uni. I moved away for uni and my parents advised me to go to uni closer to home or take a year out and study at college (while getting some life experience). I ended up changing course after my first year but I didn't waste the time as I gained lots of life experience during my undergrad. I'm now finishing off a postgrad at uni and know it was the right decision for me at the time.

I think lots of students will have delayed going to uni this year due to the Covid situation and will want to go next year instead. Also you'll meet a mixture of students at uni who are different ages so you won't be that much older if you take a year out to go to college and defer for the year.

Hope this helps!

Melissa- Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (122)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (368)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (271)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (350)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (113)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (150)
6.04%
Loneliness (213)
8.58%
Financial worries (92)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (131)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (215)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (232)
9.35%

Watched Threads