how do i study and revise ?

Watch
tb1710
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi yall,

im taking 3 international a level subjets (chem bio and phy) and i got terrible grades in them and ill be retaking them .
so i just wanted some tips and advice on how to study properly from the start and like from the book and then how to revise effectively
as well as some tips on note taking .

or maybe everyone can just tell me a few studying tips that works best for them .

im trying to really work hard from now on , so ill need all the help i can get .

thankyou

tempie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I am in the same predicament, just commenting to wait for replies, as I am failing A Level Biology (AQA).
jetiq23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of tips for making notes, I definitely recommend making flashcards or a mind map, make short bullet points so the info is easier to remember and use colours as well to identify key terms. And practice questions is a must as well, look at past papers and open the mark scheme as well so you can see how to structure your answers. Good luck!
jenxjen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jetiq23)
In terms of tips for making notes, I definitely recommend making flashcards or a mind map, make short bullet points so the info is easier to remember and use colours as well to identify key terms. And practice questions is a must as well, look at past papers and open the mark scheme as well so you can see how to structure your answers. Good luck!
What would you suggest for a subject such as English lit/lang levels? its always so hard to find a way to study for English and I always end up just forgetting everything in the exam and just going with the flow when writing essays
jetiq23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jenxjen)
What would you suggest for a subject such as English lit/lang levels? its always so hard to find a way to study for English and I always end up just forgetting everything in the exam and just going with the flow when writing essays
Honestly I felt the same - for English literature, I wrote out the key quotes for every theme for the text and all the individual characters and analysed them on a huge word document, I tried to bullet point and keep the notes short and concise, and I also wrote out the quotes on one side of a flashcard, underlined key phrases/words and wrote what type of language skill was utilised, and then the full analysis on the other side. For language, I did practice questions, but I mainly just wrote out some good vocabulary that I could incorporate into my answers, which was really useful for the huge creative writing questions. Very good luck, the hard work you put in will pay off I promise!
jenxjen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jetiq23)
Honestly I felt the same - for English literature, I wrote out the key quotes for every theme for the text and all the individual characters and analysed them on a huge word document, I tried to bullet point and keep the notes short and concise, and I also wrote out the quotes on one side of a flashcard, underlined key phrases/words and wrote what type of language skill was utilised, and then the full analysis on the other side. For language, I did practice questions, but I mainly just wrote out some good vocabulary that I could incorporate into my answers, which was really useful for the huge creative writing questions. Very good luck, the hard work you put in will pay off I promise!
Thank you! the flashcard idea for quotes are so good! like I could literally pre-analyse and all I gotta do is memorise it and in my answer write up like 2 quotes and incorporate it in my para. My weakness is language because im not very good with terms and I have a very limited terms to use haha. Thank you again!
jetiq23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jenxjen)
Thank you! the flashcard idea for quotes are so good! like I could literally pre-analyse and all I gotta do is memorise it and in my answer write up like 2 quotes and incorporate it in my para. My weakness is language because im not very good with terms and I have a very limited terms to use haha. Thank you again!
Glad I could be of help! And I recall language being quite difficult to revise for, but even if it was just putting in common words like good, bad, amazing into google dictionary and noting down the more sophisticated synonyms, it could help to enhance your writing and up those marks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads