gagan06.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I am in Yr 9. I go to a grammar school and have to do 11 GCSEs. I have 3 options. I want to pick business and geography but am debating whether to go with D.T or French. I want something with less work and easier or with resources to copy as I am lazy. I am bad at french and have a rubbish Dt teacher. I used to enjoy DT but all we've done this year is make products. Overall, if you have done both which was more enjoyable, time consuming, more or less work, and easier. I have like 2 weeks to choose so hurry up!😂
Cloudias
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do french, which obviously you can use translate for but it isn’t there in the exam. All my friends who do DT say it takes up a lot of time because it’s mostly portfolio work so you do the work though out the year instead of in only one exam. Seriously though there are no easy GCSE’s sorry!
aiwiloistyping
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't do DT but as a Year 11 student I'd recommend French 100%. I do have a private tutor outside of school who also teaches me French but if you're willing to put in the effort to learn the basics then everything else will come naturally and it becomes more fun over time.
I've also found that I probably get the least amount of work for French so I wouldn't worry too much, although I don't know how it's like in your school. I used to go to a grammar school before and it seems like the teachers teach everything very quickly and set more work, but I can't compare.
I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's definitely one of my favourite subjects.
Last edited by aiwiloistyping; 1 month ago
Stressedpanda123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gagan06.)
Hi. I am in Yr 9. I go to a grammar school and have to do 11 GCSEs. I have 3 options. I want to pick business and geography but am debating whether to go with D.T or French. I want something with less work and easier or with resources to copy as I am lazy. I am bad at french and have a rubbish Dt teacher. I used to enjoy DT but all we've done this year is make products. Overall, if you have done both which was more enjoyable, time consuming, more or less work, and easier. I have like 2 weeks to choose so hurry up!😂
Hi, I'm in yr 11. I don't do French but I do do Spanish and DT (I'm guessing Spanish isn't that different from French😂).

In DT, you chose 1 of 3 different subjects (e.g my options were multifuctional living, nature and teen bedroom) it's about 90% writing you're portfolio and about 10% actually making it (although this year it was a little different because of covid).
In your portfolio, you basically talk about where the product is going be used, who your client is and what they want from the product, how you're gonna make it (so like what joints and wood you're gonna use) and a few diagrams and 3d sketches of the product.
DT's ok but it's sorta like doing an english language essay about materials that spread across 25 slides (thats the best I can describe it). You also have a theory exam which isn't too hard.
In spanish, my teacher wasn't great and it was kinda boring but I still liked it mainly because now I can understand spanish memes (mostly) and can order a drink in spain.
It also wasn't that much of a step up from normal whereas DT seemed be a bit more of a step up because there was a lot more writing than normal.
Spanish is 'aight and not that time consuming while DT is can be both interesting and boring depending on where you are. It also takes up a lot more time and effort.

Really, it depends on what you like and whether you think you can stomach 2 years of it. Tbh GCSE's aren't as important as some teachers make it out to be so don't worry.
If you have any questions, i'll try my best to answer them. G'luck! (sorry for such a long reply)
gagan06.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you I'll probably pick french now. My family says french only my sister said Dt cause I wanna be an engineer but I couldn't care less so thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads