How much drawing does GCSE textiles involve?

Watch
MSJo221
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I was thinking of picking textiles for GCSE and was just wondering how much drawing is involved and whether or not you’d say you have to be good at drawing to get good grades.

I’d say my skill level is pretty average but I don’t really enjoy it and find it quite frustrating. However, I am really interested in the sewing/needlework side of things, so I’d be willing to do some drawing if this enabled me to use those kinds of skills more. I’ve also heard that the textiles course can be quite stressful/ time-consuming. So if you took textiles, is this true and how much drawing was involved? I’d really appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks in advance,

Jo
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not much
Caz1234567
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did GCSE textiles, my only issue with it was how much coursework I had to do. It was extremely coursework heavy. Literally every lesson was about coursework. But coursework was only 50% of the grade, so my class had to teach ourselves all the content for the textiles exam at home . I got a 7 in my coursework but ended up getting a 5 in the exam, so I got a 6 for GCSE textiles in the end
Caz1234567
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Also, its extremely time consuming, I didn't have much time to teach myself content for the exam because I was busy revising all my other subjects at home
Icosagon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MSJo221)
Hi, I was thinking of picking textiles for GCSE and was just wondering how much drawing is involved and whether or not you’d say you have to be good at drawing to get good grades.

I’d say my skill level is pretty average but I don’t really enjoy it and find it quite frustrating. However, I am really interested in the sewing/needlework side of things, so I’d be willing to do some drawing if this enabled me to use those kinds of skills more. I’ve also heard that the textiles course can be quite stressful/ time-consuming. So if you took textiles, is this true and how much drawing was involved? I’d really appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks in advance,

Jo
Hi!

I think it depends if you’re doing Art (fashion) Textiles or D&T Textiles - perhaps ask your teacher?

Anyhow, I’m in Year 10 (I do Art Textiles) and we haven’t really done much drawing. We’ve just been given an assignment about drawing croquis and stuff but our teacher said it’s perfectly fine to trace. I think it is a little bit time-consuming, but in the end, I’ll spend as much time or even less on Textiles compared to what I’ll spend on another academic subject. Also, I like to do my projects in front of the TV, so you could turn the work into a form of entertainment if you get what I mean :lol:

Obviously it depends on your school so I would recommend talking to some students taking Textiles at your school (although it might be a bit hard at the moment). Hope this helped!
dgupt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Thanks in advance,

Jo
I'm in year 11 and I chose to do dt textiles and honestly there's not much drawing included in it and they don't give you your grade depending on how well you drew your graded on the content of your work. I know people who have chosen dt and are terrible at drawing yet a lot of them got high grades mostly 8s or 9s. Dt is obviously going to take you some time to do about an average of 35-40hrs and then your done with the course it may seem like a lot but even if you take another subject your still going to have to put time in for revision. Dt is not stressful but it can get frustrating if your behind on coursework but you learn how to manage your time.
MSJo221
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Caz1234567 summerberry19 dgupt Thank you, this really helps
Icosagon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Caz1234567 summerberry19 dgupt Thank you, this really helps
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.96%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.3%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.51%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.01%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.98%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.36%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.87%

Watched Threads