The Student Room Group

What to do after PGCE?

I'm currently studying my PGCE, though a university, but I'm not sure teaching is for me. I like teaching and working in a secondary school, but I hate all the other stuff that comes with teaching. I'm not sure it's worth the stress, working 10 hours a day. And I know some may argue that I get the school holidays but after chatting to a number of different teacher, all teachers seem to do is work through their holidays. I hate the idea of having this terrible work life balance.

I don't know what to do after this though. Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do.
I have few months left so I'm going to finish the course but I'm unsure what I should do after the PGCE. Any advice would be brilliant? My subject area is humanities if that's any help.

Would I be better suited as a TA? Are schools likely to hire me as a TA? Would I have to do other qualifications to become a TA?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I could have literally written this question myself...only I didn't finish the PGCE as it just wasn't for me in the end. My only advice is to take some time exploring all your options. Maybe find some careers working with that age children rather than teaching?
Original post by Office fan
I'm currently studying my PGCE, though a university, but I'm not sure teaching is for me. I like teaching and working in a secondary school, but I hate all the other stuff that comes with teaching. I'm not sure it's worth the stress, working 10 hours a day. And I know some may argue that I get the school holidays but after chatting to a number of different teacher, all teachers seem to do is work through their holidays. I hate the idea of having this terrible work life balance.

I don't know what to do after this though. Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do.
I have few months left so I'm going to finish the course but I'm unsure what I should do after the PGCE. Any advice would be brilliant? My subject area is humanities if that's any help.

Would I be better suited as a TA? Are schools likely to hire me as a TA? Would I have to do other qualifications to become a TA?

I'm sure schools will hire you as a TA. You could also look at supply teaching or being a tutor. Have you thought about pastoral roles in a secondary school at all? The issue is that all these jobs (Especially being a TA) will pay a lot less than classroom teaching. Could you manage on a TA salary?

Personally, I don't work through my holidays and never have. It may be that you just need to find the right school?
Reply 3
Original post by Office fan

I don't work in the holidays. Nor do I do much work after school any more. Sure, I worked my backside off during PGCE and NQT years and even RQT year to an extent but now my planning is done. I have sorted out behaviour strategies and on average I arrive at school at around 7.30am and leave at 3.30 - 3.45pm every evening. It is doable. The key is work smart, not hard. I'm still jiggered by holiday time but that is what the holidays are for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
I don't work in the holidays. Nor do I do much work after school any more. Sure, I worked my backside off during PGCE and NQT years and even RQT year to an extent but now my planning is done. I have sorted out behaviour strategies and on average I arrive at school at around 7.30am and leave at 3.30 - 3.45pm every evening. It is doable. The key is work smart, not hard. I'm still jiggered by holiday time but that is what the holidays are for.

I second this. Having a good work/life balance is doable
Agreed - work life balance is definitely manageable. It will never be the balance of a TA work life but that is because you are a classroom teacher and are paid as that. I'd second the person who said to explore pastoral roles. Pastoral teams are becoming much more present in schools and although this will also be a pay cut from classroom teaching it can be more pay / hours than a TA position would offer - worth exploring. Any Qs, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending