The Student Room Group

What is a typical university day like?

I mean prior to lockdown

I’m going to be studying law and although I’ve done all my research into the course I feel like I don’t know the most basic things like how a typical time table will run. How does it differ from school and sixth form? How many days a week are you in? How long are the days? How long are lessons/ lectures? Can you go back to your accommodation to do your work? Etc etc.

(I’m either going to Newcastle or Durham)
Original post by Anonymous
I mean prior to lockdown

I’m going to be studying law and although I’ve done all my research into the course I feel like I don’t know the most basic things like how a typical time table will run. How does it differ from school and sixth form? How many days a week are you in? How long are the days? How long are lessons/ lectures? Can you go back to your accommodation to do your work? Etc etc.

Hi there,

I thought I'd reach out to you because I'm a law student studying at the University of Liverpool :smile:

So, I like to do my Uni work 9-4, and then after 4 completely rest and do things that I enjoy. I typically have 11 hours of 'contact' time (seminars / lectures) a week, and the other time is dedicated to seminar prep work / readings. I find that this is the best way to do it, as I not only have weekends off (yay!) but I am able to get myself into a good routine! In terms of how long my lectures are, they're usually 1 hour, which is great because everyone starts to switch off after that time anyway!

Of course, some Uni's are different - but I've found doing the 9-4 is really good for me and would recommend it to anyone! :biggrin:

If you have any more queries about life as a law student - do DM me!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
I mean prior to lockdown

Hey @Anonymous

I thought I’d share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer.

During my undergrad, I was in for 6 hours a week. I had three modules per semester with two lectures for each module and two tutorials per week for each of my courses. I had the same timetable in years 2 and 3. Year 4 (honours) was slightly different as I studied four electives in total (two in semester one and two in semester two). My dissertation was due in semester two of my final year. 

My lectures in my first three years usually had an hour break between them. These were held over three days of the week. In my final year I was in for four hours a week in both the first and second semester. Seminars were two hours long for both of my electives. I used the time in between seminars to work on my dissertation in the library. Some students prefer to do their uni work in the library and keep their room in halls a 'study free zone'. It's up to yourself whether you want to do your work in the library or in your room in your accommodation.

I've tried to keep up the same routine over the past year whilst studying for my Diploma. After I finish all my uni work, I have some time out at the end of the day to cook and watch some tv. I try and get most of my uni work finished during the week so that I'm spending less time on it at the weekend. I also try and make plans for the weekend as this means I have something to look forward to!

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean prior to lockdown

Hard to say as it varies a lot.

You'll likely have days where you have long days of contact time, and other days of more minimal contact hours.

At the start of a semester you might have so much free time you dont know to do with yourself yet in the last week of term you may be practically living in the library trying to finish off assignments before a deadline.

They'll also be mid week nights out, sports and society stuff to squeeze into your life, you'll figure it out once you're their.
I mean prior to lockdown

Hi there,

So the day-to-day timetable of courses do differ a fair bit, however you can split it generally into sciences/engineering and humanities, and law falls into the latter. So a typical week for humanities would be around 10 - 15 hours of contact time (i.e. seminars, which are small group teaching and lectures, which are similar to classes at school, you often also have tutorials with an academic tutor who supporting your developing through Uni). These hours are often spread around the working week (9 - 5), or they might be clustered on a certain day. In the time where you are not in timetabled classes, you are expected to spend around 10 - 15 hours on reading, writing essays/reports and revising when you have exams.

The time when you are not in classes you can study back in your room in the accommodation, or in the library or wherever you like! So i think the key difference to school is that you are expected to spend lots of time learning independently, and directing your study yourself rather than being directed by your teachers. Of course, you are supported lots especially in 1st year, but the idea is you are able to learn independently by 3rd year.

Good luck with your studies, and if you have any more questions then ask away :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending