The Student Room Group

what do u think about the Ottoman Empire?

was it good?
was it bad?
what if the Ottoman Empire was still alive?
(just want opinions)
ty :smile:
Reply 1
I think it was a vast and powerful empire that has a significant impact on Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa. I can particularly relate to it as the country my mum is from, Bosnia, was part of the Ottoman Empire for a long period of time . So, when we go on holiday to Bosnia, we can see the cultural vestiges the Empire left behind.
Original post by nnth
I think it was a vast and powerful empire that has a significant impact on Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa. I can particularly relate to it as the country my mum is from, Bosnia, was part of the Ottoman Empire for a long period of time . So, when we go on holiday to Bosnia, we can see the cultural vestiges the Empire left behind.

i do agree, it was a powerful empire indeed
I always play the Ottomans in computer games.

Aside from that, they grew rapidly, stagnated, had a lot of court intrigues, and rotted as other great powers picked over their carcass. Oh, and they had a penchant for genocide.
Reply 4
It was a vast empire.. neither good nor bad in that respect and little different from many others that have come before it or existed after it. Fascinating history if nothing else though.
Original post by AestheticDaisy
was it good?
was it bad?
what if the Ottoman Empire was still alive?
(just want opinions)
ty :smile:

With the annexation of the Byzantine empire, the Ottoman empire became a strong political and economical power for the next centuries. Istanbul as the capital was the epitome of economical influence in Asia (Arabia), Africa and Europe. In that sense it was a strong political opponent for the European powers, just think about the Turkish siege when the empire was able to compete with Vienna and to expand the range of political influence right up to Hungary.

Did Erdogan not revive the Ottoman Empire in Turkey? :biggrin:
Reply 6
As a Turk myself, it's very difficult to say my feelings towards the empire.
Most ultranationalists would say it was the greatest era, which is easily not true. The history is very interesting especially in how it influenced European politics. Towards an era of the Empire like the reign of Suleiman I, I have a generally positive opinion as at the time that was the golden age and example of what a brilliant Empire could be. However the Empire had a history of brutal oppression towards its minorities, particularly towards its end in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This was not unnatural for an empire to begin with, but as European countries began a broader acceptance of human rights and equality the Ottoman Empire became very outdated in comparison. The Bulgarian atrocities followed by the mass genocide of the Armenians, Greeks and Assyrians among others are why the Empire is seen as mostly bad today. But, we must not forget that every Empire committed atrocities. The Belgians ruled with an iron fist in the Congo, while the British kept India under their boot for centuries. France starved Haiti and left it with debt that still lasts to this day.

I like to not think about what would happen if it was still here today. The end of the outdated Ottoman Empire and the rise of a secular Republic of Turkey is the difference between why Turkey is a well developed, relatively modern nation today. It seems that our current president wants to drag it back a few centuries though....oh well. He won't be in office forever, *hopefully*.
The Ottomans were arguably one of the most powerful empires coming into the modern world. Personally, I have a positive view of them. Arguably the last legitimate Islamic State which protected the interests of Muslims and after the fall of the empire the countries left have either fallen into disarray or moved away from Islam.

Saudi Arabia is basically America's puppet, Palestine is victim to genocide and war crimes, Egypt has military coups every 5 years, Libya is still enduring civil war, Syria is barely existing, Lebanon economy just doesn't exist, Iraq got invaded and thrown into a civil war. Essentially the fall of the Ottomans led to an exploitation of the Muslim world. Arguably this also led to decentralized power and authority as the Caliph was abolished meaning Muslims are divided now more than ever. Very much doubt we'll ever see a resurgence of a legitimate Islamic Caliphate, the West wouldn't want that to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending