Opened my first bank account.. Need advice on online payments

Watch
loloslayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

I have a Barclays current account, debit card, no credit cards.

What's the safest option to pay online regularly? Is it safe to enter my debit card details on various websites?

Do you recommend using PayPal instead? Should I link the account itself or the debit card?

Is there any way I can top up my PayPal account and pay without the linking thing?

I am really confused! Please help. Thanks in advance.
dinomedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if the website is secure then you can enter your details, its safe. i use paypal because its much faster. never enter any pins or online banking passwords. there is virtually no difference between linking your debit card and regular bank account. you have to link your bank to top up paypal account. personally though i never hold any money in my paypal, i just use it to make purchases through and it takes directly from my bank. hope this helps
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loloslayer)
Hello everyone,

What's the safest option to pay online regularly? Is it safe to enter my debit card details on various websites?

Do you recommend using PayPal instead? Should I link the account itself or the debit card?

Is there any way I can top up my PayPal account and pay without the linking thing?

The safest option to use online is a Credit Card as purchases are protected under Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act. HOWEVER, as long as the site is secure (itll have a padlock in the corner), it is fine to use your debit card. You could use paypal if you wish to ad a layer of protection but I have only used Paypal about twice. I use my debit card for Amazon a lot and never had an issue
martin7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
The safest option to use online is a Credit Card as purchases are protected under Section 75 of the Credit Consumer Act.
Be aware, though, that Section 75 protection is only available for purchases of items costing over £100.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Paypal is definitely the safest plus its pretty easy and works for most retail sites
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dinomedic)
if the website is secure then you can enter your details, its safe.
(Original post by Jack22031994)
HOWEVER, as long as the site is secure (itll have a padlock in the corner), it is fine to use your debit card.
Sorry, but this is very misleading advice!

The "padlock" only indicates that you're accessing the website via TLS which encrypts traffic in transit (so no one on the network can snoop and pull your details).

Crucially, it in no way verifies that the website is legitimate or safe. Any Tom, ****, or Harry can add a certificate to their website free of charge and thereby have the padlock displayed.
dinomedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Sorry, but this is very misleading advice!

The "padlock" only indicates that you're accessing the website via TLS which encrypts traffic in transit (so no one on the network can snoop and pull your details).

Crucially, it in no way verifies that the website is legitimate or safe. Any Tom, ****, or Harry can add a certificate to their website free of charge and thereby have the padlock displayed.
oh lol good to know thanks
emmyemm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loloslayer)
Hello everyone,

Personally I prefer paypal for both buying things and selling things on the internet. I link up my bank account to my paypal as i think that makes it easier to withdraw funds and pay in any funds to paypal if needed and it's pretty fast and gets the job done
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use paypal mostly but I use my debit for amazon and other places that I trust.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed