The Student Room Group

Medical

I have applied for the army I have history of anxiety on my medical off about 3 years ago and was giving propanol but I never took them what would be the chances
Original post by Braydn09
I have applied for the army I have history of anxiety on my medical off about 3 years ago and was giving propanol but I never took them what would be the chances

Hi
You are not alone. What part of the world are you in tho? I was in UK Forces for years. Medicals have differing requirements. I believe the US Army were concerned about many more medical issues/requirements than anywhere else. I think they used to require circumcision, for instance. Routine checks of this nature are for no more than a civi doctor would look at. General health, feet, eyesight, hearing, etc. What else you concerned about?
Reply 2
Original post by Bagsy2002
Hi
You are not alone. What part of the world are you in tho? I was in UK Forces for years. Medicals have differing requirements. I believe the US Army were concerned about many more medical issues/requirements than anywhere else. I think they used to require circumcision, for instance. Routine checks of this nature are for no more than a civi doctor would look at. General health, feet, eyesight, hearing, etc. What else you concerned about?

Iv got a history of panic attacks but it bud as when I was 19 but I was just going through adult life they are crucial years of your growing up life and when I look back now it was just me growing up so I got giving these propanol but never took them so how can they even have evidence to say I have anything they don’t have a leg to stand on that was 3 years ago
I’m now a 24 year old man with no problems what do ever
Reply 3
Original post by Bagsy2002
Hi

I’m in the uk
Reply 4

Read the pinned post at the top of the page about Medical Conditions. No-one can tell you whether you will pass the medical; you will have to wait for a decision by the doctors. The fact that you didn't take medication isn't relevant, and can't be proved; what will be considered is that you had a condition that required treatment and you were prescibed something.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
Read the pinned post at the top of the page about Medical Conditions. No-one can tell you whether you will pass the medical; you will have to wait for a decision by the doctors. The fact that you didn't take medication isn't relevant, and can't be proved; what will be considered is that you had a condition that required treatment and you were prescibed something.

Iv still got the medication here for proof if they needed it that’s what I’m saying like as if I can get propanol off the streets and put them back in the box lol
Reply 6
If you have proof how can they prove you have anything they can’t
Reply 7
Iv still got the medication here for proof if they needed it that’s what I’m saying like as if I can get propanol off the streets and put them back in the box lol

The point is that you needed treatment for a medical condition and they will go by what is in your medical records. The rules for the medical use terms like 'have not been prescribed medication in the last x years'. And there's the question of why you wouldn't take medication you have been given by a doctor.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia
The point is that you needed treatment for a medical condition and they will go by what is in your medical records. The rules for the medical use terms like 'have not been prescribed medication in the last x years'.

But what’s the point in an appeal then if that’s the case it’s alright giving someone something but then if you take your tablets back and you get evidence off the doctor to say look he hasn’t took anything he’s medically okay then what else can ya do?
Reply 9
If you have proof how can they prove you have anything they can’t

Like fair enough if I needed medication month in month out all the time or Iv tried to commit suicide or something Jesus yeah then I wouldn’t even bother but it’s a hard one really mine
Reply 10
But what’s the point in an appeal then if that’s the case it’s alright giving someone something but then if you take your tablets back and you get evidence off the doctor to say look he hasn’t took anything he’s medically okay then what else can ya do?

Don't get so focussed on the fact that you never took your medication. You had a condition that required treatment and factors like the number of episodes, the time period and the reasons will be investigated. If you read the sticky, it explains that it is up to the Armed Forces to decide if you are fit to join. Coping with day-to-day life as a civilian is very different to being in the military.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
Don't get so focussed on the fact that you never took your medication. You had a condition that required treatment and factors like the number of episodes, the time period and the reasons will be investigated. If you read the sticky, it explains that it is up to the Armed Forces to decide if you are fit to join. Coping with day-to-day life as a civilian is very different to being in the military.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest