Does life get better with age?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just curious.

As a kid I couldn’t wait to become 18 years old because I thought “when im 18 I’m an adult and I can do whatever I want a go wherever I want. I’d also have a car, a house, a job etc etc”. I always thought being a kid was hard and boring, going to school, getting ‘loads’ of homework and stuff like that.

Now that I’m 18, I look back on being a kid, in primary school and think how easy life was. Just going to school, then coming home and playing football with friends all day. I’m in year 13 now, studying alevels, and I’ve never been so stressed in my life, especially with the lockdowns. I’m studying maths, physics and chemistry, and they’re very hard and sometimes I feel like I over work myself. Next year I’ll be going to uni and that’s just going to be harder.

Now I can’t want to be 25 years old. By then, I should hopefully have a degree in maths and have a decent job. I should be able to have my own place and a car etc. However, I’m scared that it’ll just be the same as when I wanted to be 18 and finding out it’s not so fun.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:nah:
buggly21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Completely feel the same way. I was so anxious leading up to my 18th. The current climate defo hadn't helped! As a whole, it is fair to say life does improve with age, but just to remain patient and determined that it improves in the ways you want. You're not alone, just gotta push on and come out the other end of this awful couple of years!
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Never
dinomedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ive heard people say that apparently their teenage years were absolute hell but it does get better in your twenties? idk tho im still in my teens :cry2:
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First year of uni was when my life peaked, downhill ever since.
Dovah21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nahh, not much change in life. It gets harder. You have more responsibility as you age. People expect more from you.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In my experience, no. It just gets worse.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dinomedic)
ive heard people say that apparently their teenage years were absolute hell but it does get better in your twenties? idk tho im still in my teens :cry2:
Lol you're in for quite a shock then.
V℮rsions
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
18 and 25?? By what means would they be the stress free years? Starting out in life, barely any relevant job experience... pfft. I can't wait for my 40's. That'll be my prime.
iamthicccccc1405
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  download (49).jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  12.2 KB
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Nope been downhill since my 1st birthday.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say so, yes in most aspects no in others, largely depends on you and what you consider a good life to be. Much happier at 26 than I was when I was 16.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For people in the medical career, it does get better with time (anything is better than working as a junior doctor really).

But in terms of life in general, I agree with the concensus of this depressing thread :sadnod:
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has a different opinion. Personally, I think my life ebbs and flows. I’m 18. Hopefully, university will be a bit better.
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  5a81d2f64e084.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  111.9 KB
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
First year of uni was when my life peaked, downhill ever since.
Id say second year.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Id say second year.
I didn't make it that far
Quiet Benin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Now I can’t want to be 25 years old. By then, I should hopefully have a degree in maths and have a decent job. I should be able to have my own place and a car etc :laugh::laugh::laugh:. However, I’m scared that it’ll just be the same as when I wanted to be 18 and finding out it’s not so fun.
I'm over 25 mate. I'm still living with parents with a mum who is about to become wheelchair bound soon. Being treated as **** as usual because i have no friends.

If you have a goal. get married in your early 20s, no '25 years old' usually lives alone. How would they afford it? I know plenty of people at that age still living with parents. You're likely to move around mid 30s without marriage.

Sorry for laughing, it's just that i had that ambition too, Now i'm a ****ing loner with nothing in this life.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I didn't make it that far
Fair enough.

Uni (and I mean undergrad years) is a nice time,lots of new found freedom and very limited amounts of responsibility to manage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.57%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (183)
14.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (58)
4.5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.58%
Loneliness (114)
8.84%
Financial worries (45)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (59)
4.57%
Exposure to negative news/social media (59)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (113)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (118)
9.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise