The Student Room Group

Does life get better with age?

Just curious.

As a kid I couldn’t wait to become 18 years old because I thought “when im 18 I’m an adult and I can do whatever I want a go wherever I want. I’d also have a car, a house, a job etc etc”. I always thought being a kid was hard and boring, going to school, getting ‘loads’ of homework and stuff like that.

Now that I’m 18, I look back on being a kid, in primary school and think how easy life was. Just going to school, then coming home and playing football with friends all day. I’m in year 13 now, studying alevels, and I’ve never been so stressed in my life, especially with the lockdowns. I’m studying maths, physics and chemistry, and they’re very hard and sometimes I feel like I over work myself. Next year I’ll be going to uni and that’s just going to be harder.

Now I can’t want to be 25 years old. By then, I should hopefully have a degree in maths and have a decent job. I should be able to have my own place and a car etc. However, I’m scared that it’ll just be the same as when I wanted to be 18 and finding out it’s not so fun.

Scroll to see replies

:nah:
Completely feel the same way. I was so anxious leading up to my 18th. The current climate defo hadn't helped! As a whole, it is fair to say life does improve with age, but just to remain patient and determined that it improves in the ways you want. You're not alone, just gotta push on and come out the other end of this awful couple of years!
Never
ive heard people say that apparently their teenage years were absolute hell but it does get better in your twenties? idk tho im still in my teens :cry2:
First year of uni was when my life peaked, downhill ever since.
Reply 6
Nahh, not much change in life. It gets harder. You have more responsibility as you age. People expect more from you.
18 and 25?? By what means would they be the stress free years? Starting out in life, barely any relevant job experience... pfft. I can't wait for my 40's. That'll be my prime.
download (49).jpeg
Nope been downhill since my 1st birthday.
Everyone has a different opinion. Personally, I think my life ebbs and flows. I’m 18. Hopefully, university will be a bit better.
5a81d2f64e084.jpeg
Original post by DiddyDec
First year of uni was when my life peaked, downhill ever since.

Id say second year.
Original post by mnot
Id say second year.

I didn't make it that far :h:
Original post by Anonymous

Now I can’t want to be 25 years old. By then, I should hopefully have a degree in maths and have a decent job. I should be able to have my own place and a car etc :laugh::laugh::laugh:. However, I’m scared that it’ll just be the same as when I wanted to be 18 and finding out it’s not so fun.

I'm over 25 mate. I'm still living with parents with a mum who is about to become wheelchair bound soon. Being treated as **** as usual because i have no friends.

If you have a goal. get married in your early 20s, no '25 years old' usually lives alone. How would they afford it? I know plenty of people at that age still living with parents. You're likely to move around mid 30s without marriage.

Sorry for laughing, it's just that i had that ambition too, Now i'm a ****ing loner with nothing in this life.
Original post by DiddyDec
I didn't make it that far :h:

Fair enough.

Uni (and I mean undergrad years) is a nice time,lots of new found freedom and very limited amounts of responsibility to manage.
Depends on what you want from life. Some people like the responsibility of owning a car and having a job etc. Others prefer to be kids when all they had to concern themselves with was the end of week spelling test.

Either way, life’s hard so do what you can to enjoy it and try not to look too far ahead as you might miss the good times right in front of you
Original post by Quiet Benin
If you have a goal. get married in your early 20s, no '25 years old' usually lives alone. How would they afford it? I know plenty of people at that age still living with parents. You're likely to move around mid 30s without marriage.

I started living alone at 25, having moved out of my parent's home at 22.
wow this thread is super reassuring and totally makes me excited to live my life! :dong:
Original post by dinomedic
wow this thread is super reassuring and totally makes me excited to live my life! :dong:

Woo :indiff:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending