The Student Room Group

A-level subjects

I really want to do biology, chemistry and maths for a levels but i really love history.Is it worth it ?
I think choosing history will be helpful for university because not only do you learn about different topics but it also improves your essay writing skills etc so if you can make your mind between biology or chemistry then that would help you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Diya_hem14
I think choosing history will be helpful for university because not only do you learn about different topics but it also improves your essay writing skills etc so if you can make your mind between biology or chemistry then that would help you :smile:

I really want to become a dietician and I think I need an a level in biology and one other science for that so I'm really hesitant on giving up one of them but I really enjoy history and want to history but then I think I also think a maths a level will help me with the equations in chemistry so I'm really stuck :frown::colonhash:
If you want to become a dietician then I would definitely prefer biology, chemistry and maths as its a great combination and I don’t think that history will have a major effect as you want your career to be on the medical point of view
Original post by mai-san
I really want to become a dietician and I think I need an a level in biology and one other science for that so I'm really hesitant on giving up one of them but I really enjoy history and want to history but then I think I also think a maths a level will help me with the equations in chemistry so I'm really stuck :frown::colonhash:

You don't need to take A-level Maths to go into dietetics, nor will it particularly help you in A-level Chemistry. Having done logs in A-level Maths will help with some aspects of chemistry, but that's easy enough to learn separately, and there is a lot of A-level Maths content that is not directly relevant to A-level Chemistry. If you enjoy history more than maths and think you will do better in it, take history.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
You don't need to take A-level Maths to go into dietetics, nor will it particularly help you in A-level Chemistry. Having done logs in A-level Maths will help with some aspects of chemistry, but that's easy enough to learn separately, and there is a lot of A-level Maths content that is not directly relevant to A-level Chemistry. If you enjoy history more than maths and think you will do better in it, take history.

Thank you because that was a big worry of mine
Reply 6
If you want to become a dietician then I would definitely prefer biology, chemistry and maths as its a great combination and I don’t think that history will have a major effect as you want your career to be on the medical point of view

Yes but I really enjoy history
Original post by mai-san

But is it going to help you be successful as a dietician? Sometimes it not what you like matters but its what is going to help you matters! Take some time to think about it and eventually you’ll know :smile:
But is it going to help you be successful as a dietician? Sometimes it not what you like matters but its what is going to help you matters! Take some time to think about it and eventually you’ll know :smile:

I really doubt dieticians need to know calculus, or that it will be an enormous help in the profession :tongue:
Maths does help you further as well
Original post by mai-san

Hey @mai-san,

It's great to hear you're interested in becoming a Dietitian!
I'm a current second year studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition if there is anything you'd like to ask!

In terms of A-Level subjects, maths isn't a big deal when you're studying Dietetics, but it is essential to know the basics of maths. The most amount of maths you'll do at uni is calculating nutritional requirements, estimating requirements, and nutritional anaylsis. A-Level Biology is deemed essential for majority of Dietetic courses on offer with Chemistry being a desirable subject, but it's not essential for some universities; depending on where you're interested in studying. Given that you'll do a fair amount of maths in both A-Level Biology and Chemistry if you can handle that kind of maths, you're perfect for the maths in Dietetics.
Ultimately do subjects you know you will enjoy as it'll make things a lot easier for you during the exam period.

I hope this helps!

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Reply 11
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey @mai-san,

It's great to hear you're interested in becoming a Dietitian!
I'm a current second year studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition if there is anything you'd like to ask!

In terms of A-Level subjects, maths isn't a big deal when you're studying Dietetics, but it is essential to know the basics of maths. The most amount of maths you'll do at uni is calculating nutritional requirements, estimating requirements, and nutritional anaylsis. A-Level Biology is deemed essential for majority of Dietetic courses on offer with Chemistry being a desirable subject, but it's not essential for some universities; depending on where you're interested in studying. Given that you'll do a fair amount of maths in both A-Level Biology and Chemistry if you can handle that kind of maths, you're perfect for the maths in Dietetics.
Ultimately do subjects you know you will enjoy as it'll make things a lot easier for you during the exam period.

I hope this helps!

Veronica

Thank you so much I'm really happy that I got a chance to talk to someone who is studying my dream field .Are there any tips you would give me as a GCSE student?
I recciemnd doing all 4 then drop the most boring or one you’re doing badly later or if you’re finding it all good then take them all (as long as there’s no pressure)
U don’t need maths for. Chemistry
I do bio chem and geography so
You can do bio chem and history if you want
Original post by mai-san
Thank you so much I'm really happy that I got a chance to talk to someone who is studying my dream field .Are there any tips you would give me as a GCSE student?

Hey Mai-San,

Thank you for getting back to me.

What kind of tips would you like, in terms of what areas would like you like advice about?

As a GCSE student, what subjects are you studying that are going to help you get onto the Dietetic course? What kind of interests do you have that's going to help you on the Dietetic course? At the moment, while you're studying your GCSEs, there isn't a lot you need to do to increase your chances to get onto the course, besides focusing on the subjects you're interested in and making sure you're able to achieve the grades you need to. I'd say the most important factor is to not 100% focus on your grades but look at yourself as a whole and what you're able to contribute as an individual. This could be looking at your strengths and weaknesses, your character, and whether any of your traits will help you - e.g. compassion, desire to help others, etc.

Something that might be of interest for you to take up is becoming a Healthcare Assistant so you can get an idea of what it is like to work in the NHS setting, or you can volunteer in the NHS - both of which will earn you experience, knowledge and develop your communication skills as you're working with other healthcare professionals or interacting with them, as well as talking to patients. Getting some practice speaking to patients will make it easier for you when you're training as a Dietitian, especially if you're not the most sociable person or the most interactive, this is an opportunity to put yourself out there and familiarise yourself with the environment.

Another thing that might be of interest is the Summer School for Food and Nutrition at Leeds University. I did that in the summer in college and found it fascinating as I was able to go to Leeds University, stay in one of the accommodations and spend some time with the lecturers as well as visiting Taylors of Harrogate and meet like-minded people who were interested in food! For more information, you can find out here. It's something you can put on your personal statement when applying to university. It doesn't directly apply to Dietetics but it's insightful and the knowledge can be applied.

I hope this helps :smile:

Veronica
Original post by mai-san

then do History, remember do stuff you enjoy
Reply 15
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey Mai-San,

Thank you for getting back to me.

What kind of tips would you like, in terms of what areas would like you like advice about?

As a GCSE student, what subjects are you studying that are going to help you get onto the Dietetic course? What kind of interests do you have that's going to help you on the Dietetic course? At the moment, while you're studying your GCSEs, there isn't a lot you need to do to increase your chances to get onto the course, besides focusing on the subjects you're interested in and making sure you're able to achieve the grades you need to. I'd say the most important factor is to not 100% focus on your grades but look at yourself as a whole and what you're able to contribute as an individual. This could be looking at your strengths and weaknesses, your character, and whether any of your traits will help you - e.g. compassion, desire to help others, etc.

Something that might be of interest for you to take up is becoming a Healthcare Assistant so you can get an idea of what it is like to work in the NHS setting, or you can volunteer in the NHS - both of which will earn you experience, knowledge and develop your communication skills as you're working with other healthcare professionals or interacting with them, as well as talking to patients. Getting some practice speaking to patients will make it easier for you when you're training as a Dietitian, especially if you're not the most sociable person or the most interactive, this is an opportunity to put yourself out there and familiarise yourself with the environment.

Another thing that might be of interest is the Summer School for Food and Nutrition at Leeds University. I did that in the summer in college and found it fascinating as I was able to go to Leeds University, stay in one of the accommodations and spend some time with the lecturers as well as visiting Taylors of Harrogate and meet like-minded people who were interested in food! For more information, you can find out here. It's something you can put on your personal statement when applying to university. It doesn't directly apply to Dietetics but it's insightful and the knowledge can be applied.

I hope this helps :smile:

Veronica

Wow you have been so helpful thanks :smile:
Original post by mai-san
I really want to do biology, chemistry and maths for a levels but i really love history.Is it worth it ?

Hi there,

I am currently a student at the University of Portsmouth.

I would recommend considering what you would like to do in the future, i.e. at University as this might affect what A-levels you need to study. Other than that, I would choose what subjects you enjoy and are good at.
If you are considering doing all four, it is important to note that most university's will only require three A-levels, and that taking four will increase your workload and time.
Biology, chemistry and maths are all STEM subjects and do compliment each other. History is an essay based subject. You could also consider doing history as an AS or taking an EPQ with a history topic in mind.

I hope this helps,
Ethan - UOP Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest