Helena200189
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi. I'm in year 12 and we haven't actually started writing the EPQ yet, just gathering resources etc. I'm taking bio, chem and geog and I am hoping to apply to medicine in October.
I just don't have a real passion to do the EPQ and I feel that it's going to cause a lot of stress and take up a lot of time. I am part of several projects such as HE+ and I'm doing summer school (I hope) so I think my time would be better spent doing them and revising for A-levels/admissions tests. Is anyone able to let me know if an EPQ is important for medicine and if you think I'll be ok without it?
maccles02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
a few med schools may give you a lower offer for getting a good grade in the EPQ (Sheffield i think, not sure about others), but I would suggest if you're not passionate about it drop it. there's a lot of effort involved in the EPQ with the production log, gathering research, the writing itself etc. and depending on when it's due for your school (my school's deadline is February) this may actually get in the way of interview prep. it may give you something to talk about on your personal statement but I'm sure you can find other things such as MOOCs or smaller research topics/books to look into, which will require a lot less effort. it is definitely not important for getting into medicine.
Helena200189
Rep:
?
(Original post by maccles02)
a few med schools may give you a lower offer for getting a good grade in the EPQ (Sheffield i think, not sure about others), but I would suggest if you're not passionate about it drop it. there's a lot of effort involved in the EPQ with the production log, gathering research, the writing itself etc. and depending on when it's due for your school (my school's deadline is February) this may actually get in the way of interview prep. it may give you something to talk about on your personal statement but I'm sure you can find other things such as MOOCs or smaller research topics/books to look into, which will require a lot less effort. it is definitely not important for getting into medicine.
Thank you so much. I think my school needs it in by December. Do you think they'd pick someone who's done an EPQ over me though, especially as I am not taking the conventional maths with science?
maccles02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Helena200189)
Thank you so much. I think my school needs it in by December. Do you think they'd pick someone who's done an EPQ over me though, especially as I am not taking the conventional maths with science?
no, EPQ doesn't play a part in the selection process at pretty much all UK med schools (I think), so it won't disadvantage you compared to other applicants, just some may give you a lower offer if you complete it and get an A for example. your A level choices are completely fine for medicine as you have biology and chemistry, you won't be able to apply to some colleges at Cambridge but all other med schools are available to you. i'd recommend dropping EPQ so you can focus on getting good predictions and doing well in your admissions test(s).
Helena200189
Rep:
?
(Original post by maccles02)
no, EPQ doesn't play a part in the selection process at pretty much all UK med schools (I think), so it won't disadvantage you compared to other applicants, just some may give you a lower offer if you complete it and get an A for example. your A level choices are completely fine for medicine as you have biology and chemistry, you won't be able to apply to some colleges at Cambridge but all other med schools are available to you. i'd recommend dropping EPQ so you can focus on getting good predictions and doing well in your admissions test(s).
Thank you for clearing that up, if only my teachers had just said it that clearly
Binay_G
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
epq sucks dont do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.19%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.73%
I need help with my personal statement (63)
42.57%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.32%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise