username5625786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, *I’m currently in S5 with the subjects of higher human biology, higher chemistry, higher geography, higher English and higher maths.

I just wanted a little bit of S6 subjects decision advice. If you have a minute could you please respond to me as I’m very confused on what to do.*I want to choose dentistry as my career path. My priority University is Uni of Glasgow.

For S6 I have two options; I could either do Adv higher maths, adv higher chemistry, adv higher biology and higher art or admin (whatever higher course I get a spot in I will choose).

my second option is; Adv higher chemistry, advanced higher Human biology, higher art and design and higher admin.*

I’m unsure on which option is best for dentistry and I’m worried about picking the best one for me. I thought that I could ask you for help. I am comfortable with doing these subject choices and I have no problem.*I’m just scared to do adv higher maths because I think it may be hard.

I have an older brother doing adv higher maths and I could consult him if I ever needed help. But then if I don’t do adv higher maths I feel like I won’t get a chance for getting into the uni for me, I don’t know why but I think doing two highers and two adv highers seems less.

I would appreciate it if you could help me out and let me know which option would be best for dentistry.*

I’m so scared.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thing is, universities don't care if you do more subjects than they want, it's not going to give you an advantage, if anything it's going to hinder you.
It's better to take less and make sure you get straight A's than to take more and end up with a B or a C.

Besides, once the admission team is happy with your predicted grades they will decide if they're going to give you an offer based on your interview performance and not based on the extra subjects your doing. So it's a bit pointless. It's a nice ego boost if you manage to get the straight A's in 3AH's + a higher but what for?

But if you're super keen on doing maths, do the 3 AH's but without any addition highers. That way you give yourself an option to apply to good English dentistry schools if you're interested in them but without the extra workload of doing 4 subjects.
Omair1201
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maffs+Kemistree)
Hi there, *I’m currently in S5 with the subjects of higher human biology, higher chemistry, higher geography, higher English and higher maths.

I just wanted a little bit of S6 subjects decision advice. If you have a minute could you please respond to me as I’m very confused on what to do.*I want to choose dentistry as my career path. My priority University is Uni of Glasgow.

For S6 I have two options; I could either do Adv higher maths, adv higher chemistry, adv higher biology and higher art or admin (whatever higher course I get a spot in I will choose).

my second option is; Adv higher chemistry, advanced higher Human biology, higher art and design and higher admin.*

I’m unsure on which option is best for dentistry and I’m worried about picking the best one for me. I thought that I could ask you for help. I am comfortable with doing these subject choices and I have no problem.*I’m just scared to do adv higher maths because I think it may be hard.

I have an older brother doing adv higher maths and I could consult him if I ever needed help. But then if I don’t do adv higher maths I feel like I won’t get a chance for getting into the uni for me, I don’t know why but I think doing two highers and two adv highers seems less.

I would appreciate it if you could help me out and let me know which option would be best for dentistry.*

I’m so scared.
you can start off looking here https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...try/#tab=entry
from what I can see in terms of your first option, taking just the three advanced highers (maths, chem, and bio) should suffice and remember you will have to make time for UCAT, interviews, work experience etc. so you don't want to overburden yourself with an additional subject that you don't really need.
in terms of your second option, from what I have heard, art can take up a lot of your time, and ideally that time would be better spent on the prep I have mentioned above however if you feel you can balance the workload from your second option that should also be fine
the 'best' subjects / option are those that are explicitly stated by the university that they require and both your options would be fine for Glasgow (if you are considering other universities, I would have a look on their websites as they will show you what they require in terms of academics and non-academics).
pick the option that you are more likely to get the highest grades in, as that is what will matter most .
username5625786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nessie162)
Thing is, universities don't care if you do more subjects than they want, it's not going to give you an advantage, if anything it's going to hinder you.
It's better to take less and make sure you get straight A's than to take more and end up with a B or a C.

Besides, once the admission team is happy with your predicted grades they will decide if they're going to give you an offer based on your interview performance and not based on the extra subjects your doing. So it's a bit pointless. It's a nice ego boost if you manage to get the straight A's in 3AH's + a higher but what for?

But if you're super keen on doing maths, do the 3 AH's but without any addition highers. That way you give yourself an option to apply to good English dentistry schools if you're interested in them but without the extra workload of doing 4 subjects.
Thank you for this advice, sorry I didn’t reply earlier forgot my password lol. I feel like I wouldn’t be able to manage the work load from 3AH. I just don’t think I’m capable enough. I got my tracking report recently and it included predicted grades. It was alright but I feel like I could’ve done better. It was just the odd bio grade the rest were fine but I was told that the department went harsh this year. Not sure can’t really come up with conspiracies.

The deadline for subject picking is 22nd March and I’ve called career advisers, talked to teachers and even consulted you guys, by hearing the advice they’ve given me I think it is best to just go on with my highers and two AH.
I just want to say that I deeply thank you for elaborating a very detailed response to me! I really appreciate it.
username5625786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Omair1201)
you can start off looking here https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...try/#tab=entry
from what I can see in terms of your first option, taking just the three advanced highers (maths, chem, and bio) should suffice and remember you will have to make time for UCAT, interviews, work experience etc. so you don't want to overburden yourself with an additional subject that you don't really need.
in terms of your second option, from what I have heard, art can take up a lot of your time, and ideally that time would be better spent on the prep I have mentioned above however if you feel you can balance the workload from your second option that should also be fine
the 'best' subjects / option are those that are explicitly stated by the university that they require and both your options would be fine for Glasgow (if you are considering other universities, I would have a look on their websites as they will show you what they require in terms of academics and non-academics).
pick the option that you are more likely to get the highest grades in, as that is what will matter most .
Thank you so much, again, for replying to my thread. I honestly thought nobody was going to reply. I deeply appreciate the time you took out to this response.
I will defo be checking out the link.

The only reason I’m doing higher art is because Ive always had an interest in becoming an artist ever since I was a baby. I’ve enjoyed it but sadly can’t take it forward because of household pressure and the need of making my parents proud of me. Not only my parents but myself too. I’ve also seen that it shows good dexterity and creativeness during work hours. But since I’m crashing it I’m having second thoughts.

I am capable of crashing a higher subject as well, as I’m crashing higher geo atm. But then I have no idea what other subject I could do.
Again, I thank you for your response it really helped me out! Sorry if the response seems a bit odd, it’s 2AM ah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (139)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (427)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (325)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (405)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (132)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (176)
6.08%
Loneliness (248)
8.57%
Financial worries (106)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (118)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (155)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (257)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (273)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed