The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

what is oxford brookes like

thinking about going to oxford brookes for uni - whats it like? lecturers, accommodation, nightlife ect??
Original post by pic261746
thinking about going to oxford brookes for uni - whats it like? lecturers, accommodation, nightlife ect??

Hi @pic261746,

Great to hear that you're thinking about going to Oxford Brookes University.

From my personal experience, I really enjoyed being at this university. I study Sociology, and when I came here, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The academic support is helpful, and the university offers a course librarian, an academic service team, dyslexia and SpLD services, and lecturers have their office hours every week, so you can chat to them if you need some more help too!

I'm based in Headington Campus (the main campus) for my course, and I really like the modern architecture of the campus and the library too! You can check out more of the campuses or accommodation on the virtual campus tours here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/virtual-tour/

Accommodation definitely varies, and it depends on what you want, e.g. double bed or ensuite etc. I recommend budgeting your accommodation with your maintenance loan; it helped me a lot! You can stay in accommodation for your whole 3-4 years if you would like. I stayed in Crescent Hall in my first year, which was one of the cheapest accommodations. I met my closest friends there and even if I had to share a bathroom, it wasn't that bad surprisingly, also we had a cleaner too! In my second year, I went to Parade Green, and it's very popular with the students since it has an ensuite room with a double bed. Including facilities such as a gym, cinema room, rooftop Terrance etc. Here's the link for the accommodation: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/prospective-students/

Oxford City is beautiful, and it has to offer everything from shops to restaurants and places to go sightseeing! Since Oxford is near London, do expect the nightlife or places to be sometimes pricey, however, Oxford is also a student city, so they will have offers. Cowley Road is very popular in terms of nightlife with various bars and the O2 Academy, where societies and sports teams host some events. Students will get a bus pass for transport, which will help you travel to all the campuses, accommodation, and around Oxford city centre. There are direct coaches from campus to London or London airports if you ever need to travel or visit for the day.

Overall, I've had a really positive experience here. Also, being in my final year, the careers team have helped advise me on finding jobs and how to do CVs or interviews. They will also guide you 3 years after you graduate, which is nice to know!

If you ever want to talk to a student ambassador that studies here about your course or more about student life, here's the link to our platform, Unibuddy: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have!

All the best,

Rade :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hi @pic261746,

Great to hear that you're thinking about going to Oxford Brookes University.

From my personal experience, I really enjoyed being at this university. I study Sociology, and when I came here, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The academic support is helpful, and the university offers a course librarian, an academic service team, dyslexia and SpLD services, and lecturers have their office hours every week, so you can chat to them if you need some more help too!

I'm based in Headington Campus (the main campus) for my course, and I really like the modern architecture of the campus and the library too! You can check out more of the campuses or accommodation on the virtual campus tours here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/virtual-tour/

Accommodation definitely varies, and it depends on what you want, e.g. double bed or ensuite etc. I recommend budgeting your accommodation with your maintenance loan; it helped me a lot! You can stay in accommodation for your whole 3-4 years if you would like. I stayed in Crescent Hall in my first year, which was one of the cheapest accommodations. I met my closest friends there and even if I had to share a bathroom, it wasn't that bad surprisingly, also we had a cleaner too! In my second year, I went to Parade Green, and it's very popular with the students since it has an ensuite room with a double bed. Including facilities such as a gym, cinema room, rooftop Terrance etc. Here's the link for the accommodation: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/prospective-students/

Oxford City is beautiful, and it has to offer everything from shops to restaurants and places to go sightseeing! Since Oxford is near London, do expect the nightlife or places to be sometimes pricey, however, Oxford is also a student city, so they will have offers. Cowley Road is very popular in terms of nightlife with various bars and the O2 Academy, where societies and sports teams host some events. Students will get a bus pass for transport, which will help you travel to all the campuses, accommodation, and around Oxford city centre. There are direct coaches from campus to London or London airports if you ever need to travel or visit for the day.

Overall, I've had a really positive experience here. Also, being in my final year, the careers team have helped advise me on finding jobs and how to do CVs or interviews. They will also guide you 3 years after you graduate, which is nice to know!

If you ever want to talk to a student ambassador that studies here about your course or more about student life, here's the link to our platform, Unibuddy: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have!

All the best,

Thank you so much for such a quick and in depth reply!! I have to say Oxford Brookes have been so on the ball in every way; interview process, open days, emails and now on here as well.
I hope to do midwifery so I think I would be at Headington too. This has been so so helpful, you have told me a lot I didn't know.

Thank you, all the best!
Original post by pic261746
Thank you so much for such a quick and in depth reply!! I have to say Oxford Brookes have been so on the ball in every way; interview process, open days, emails and now on here as well.
I hope to do midwifery so I think I would be at Headington too. This has been so so helpful, you have told me a lot I didn't know.

Thank you, all the best!

It's okay, happy to have helped!

Awesome! Yes, so for Midwifery, you'll be based on the Marston Road site in Headington. It's about a 15-minute walk or a less than 10-minute bus journey from the main Headington Campus building, so you'll be right around the corner, which is great! :smile:

Anytime! If you have any more questions, feel free to message whenever or on the uni buddy platform: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/contact-and-meet-us/chat-to-a-student-ambassador/

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending