The Student Room Group

Freshers Week 2021

So does anyone think Freshers Week is gunna happen this year? Cuz you know... COVID. Do you think online school will continue after September when the new school year starts?
if there are no new variants that are completely resistant to the vaccines id be very surprised if Boris' roadmap doesn't happen because it's mainly tories who are complaining about lockdown being on for too long.
Original post by DiamondDia
So does anyone think Freshers Week is gunna happen this year? Cuz you know... COVID. Do you think online school will continue after September when the new school year starts?

There will likely be some sort of freshers this year but I wouldn’t recommend buying any tickets in advance (especially if people online pretending to be students are pressuring you to buy a ticket).

Online learning is likely to continue even if all restrictions are lifted - students were campaigning for more recorded lectures and learning materials for years before covid. Now that universities have finally invested in producing those materials (and can give one lecture to 1000 students without needing to book an enormous lecture hall) they’re not likely to scrap that. Face to face is likely to be seminars and tutorials (and labs, practicals, studios) - I doubt any universities will be interested in reverting back to mass lectures.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
There will likely be some sort of freshers this year but I wouldn’t recommend buying any tickets in advance (especially if people online pretending to be students are pressuring you to buy a ticket).

Online learning is likely to continue even if all restrictions are lifted - students were campaigning for more recorded lectures and learning materials for years before covid. Now that universities have finally invested in producing those materials (and can give one lecture to 1000 students without needing to book an enormous lecture hall) they’re not likely to scrap that. Face to face is likely to be seminars and tutorials (and labs, practicals, studios) - I doubt any universities will be interested in reverting back to mass lectures.

Jeez, I really hope everything goes back to normal sooner or later, I just want a normal first year experience at Uni but I guess not.
Original post by DiamondDia
Jeez, I really hope everything goes back to normal sooner or later, I just want a normal first year experience at Uni but I guess not.

Online lectures were normal for lots of students before the pandemic. Cramming into a stuffy lecture hall to sit on uncomfortable seats for an hour isn’t a good learning experience.

Quick Reply

Latest