cineworld123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
I am currently about to register for student finance. But have a general query about Student Finance England (SFE) and NHS bursary.
Does SFE cover 4years of the tuition fees for a medical student, and the 5th year the tuition fees is paid via NHS bursary ? Can I assume NHS bursary need not be paid back and is not income assessed ?
What happens if one intercalated in the 3rd year of their medical degree - does SFE cover this intercalation year. And then when the student comes back after intercalation to their Medical degree ie their 3rd year of medical school( but 4th Year of uni) , would they still apply for bursary in their 5th Year of medical school, ie 6th year of uni. Kindly advise if you can. I am struggling to understand on how it all works.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cineworld123)
Hi,
I am currently about to register for student finance. But have a general query about Student Finance England (SFE) and NHS bursary.
Does SFE cover 4years of the tuition fees for a medical student, and the 5th year the tuition fees is paid via NHS bursary ? Can I assume NHS bursary need not be paid back and is not income assessed ?
What happens if one intercalated in the 3rd year of their medical degree - does SFE cover this intercalation year. And then when the student comes back after intercalation to their Medical degree ie their 3rd year of medical school( but 4th Year of uni) , would they still apply for bursary in their 5th Year of medical school, ie 6th year of uni. Kindly advise if you can. I am struggling to understand on how it all works.
I have moved your thread to this forum (Ask Student Finance), hopefully the official SFE rep can answer you re: loans.

NHS Bursary kicks in, regardless of your income, after 4th year. Read https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-bursar...ental-students

Whether you intercalated or not doesn't matter - so if you did a 5 year course your last year will be paid for; if you did a 6 year course (incl. intercalation) your last 2 years will be paid for. Obviously you will need to take into account living costs, and the fact that you start working as an FY1 a year later.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cineworld123)
Hi,
Hi there, here is an image that shows how intercalation works http://ow.ly/7UEK30rzBt6

The NHS bursary does not need to be paid back but I advise you to query that with the NHS and they will explain how it works.
You will receive the usual funding for the intercalated year.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads