Anti right wing bias in academia...

Watch
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://cspicenter.org/reports/academicfreedom/

A study conducted in the UK, US and Canada reveals *(shock)* there is "significant discrimination against conservative s in hiring, promotion, publication and grants'..

Among other findings- 1in 3 UK academic s wouldn't hire a brexit supporter...,🙄🤣

What a surprise...

64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's the free market my dude, do you think we should we start doing affirmative action in academics for conservatives?
username5252758
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
https://cspicenter.org/reports/academicfreedom/

A study conducted in the UK, US and Canada reveals *(shock)* there is "significant discrimination against conservative s in hiring, promotion, publication and grants'..

Among other findings- 1in 3 UK academic s wouldn't hire a brexit supporter...,🙄🤣

What a surprise...

Have you read the actual articles you are linking to?

No, of course you haven't because if you had, you'd come across statements like:

These show that 50% of right-wing and 40% of left-wing academics preferred their own candidates (as did 38% of Labour voters and 33% of Tory voters, not shown) where credentials are evenly matched. Looking at measures of “hard” discrimination, 20% of rightwing and 15% of left-wing academics would discriminate against those of the opposite camp who had better records
or

Thus, if anything, there seems to be somewhat greater bias from the right this time as compared to the left.

Which don't really fit in with your right wing victimhood narrative.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
That's the free market my dude, do you think we should we start doing affirmative action in academics for conservatives?
That's the public sector for a start

If it was a private company then they can hire who they want. But this is taxpayer funded entity.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calibrated.)
Have you read the actual articles you are linking to?

No, of course you haven't because if you had, you'd come across statements like:

or

Which don't really fit in with your right wing victimhood narrative.
How does any of the above change anything I said ....?
username5252758
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How does any of the above change anything I said ....?
At least you didn't bother to deny that you haven't actually read your own the links.

Do you really need someone to explain the problem in your reasoning?

You are framing academia as having a anti-right wing bias yet undermining your own argument with evidence that suggest right wing academics display a greater level of bias.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Worth taking this survey with a pinch of salt, given that it was published by a seemingly right-leaning group.
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If it was a private company then they can hire who they want. But this is taxpayer funded entity.
Do you think we should do affirmative action in the NHS?
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calibrated.)
Do you really need someone to explain the problem in your reasoning?

You are framing academia as having a anti-right wing bias yet undermining your own argument with evidence that suggest right wing academics display a greater level of bias.
No contradiction there if right wing academics are underrepresented compared to left wing ones. Whst page are your quotes from?

In any case the main findings of the study back up what I'm saying:

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-05-18-36-46-28.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  204.0 KB

Do you dispute this?

Do you think we should do affirmative action in the NHS?
No the opposite. The NHS shouldn't discriminate against right wing people (eg in employment) which is what universities are doing...
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 1 month ago
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Are you sure about the universities in the US? I doubt they're all in the public sector lol.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Was the research you’re sharing funded by tax payers?
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Was the research you’re sharing funded by tax payers?
No it's a non profit
64Lightbulbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No the opposite. The NHS shouldn't discriminate against right wing people (eg in employment) which is what universities are doing...
How do you suppose that should be enforced? (in academia, I mean)
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
How do you suppose that should be enforced? (in academia, I mean)
Well the paper says:

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-05-21-37-06-91.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  131.0 KB

But I'm sure there are other things that can be done. Perhaps some sort of union?

Regardless, the first part of addressing a problem is acknowledging it's existence.
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go into business, economics, engineering, maths, natural sciences, computer science & avoid most social sciences (apart from economics) and especially the humanities.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatGentleman)
Go into business, economics, engineering, maths, natural sciences, computer science & avoid most social sciences (apart from economics) and especially the humanities.
If you're right wing? Running away won't make it go away. What you're saying has basically happened and has allowed this rot to set in the first place.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
Are you sure about the universities in the US? I doubt they're all in the public sector lol.
As with the US healthcare sector, many of the entities operating in that field are only "private" to a degree. It's not really enough, IMO, to just look at what kind of legal entity an organisation is, but who its customers are, where its revenues primarily stem from, what rules govern what it can and can't do (which the article touches on in terms of how they enjoy the best of both worlds), how much market risk it actually assumes, and so on. Especially in heavily cartelised industries like healthcare and education. Many of these firms are hybrid entities when you put aside their legal entity and look at how they operate in practice. That also opens it up to the government to make any grants etc. conditional on tolerating ideological differences.
Last edited by TCA2b; 1 month ago
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well the paper says:

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-05-21-37-06-91.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  131.0 KB

But I'm sure there are other things that can be done. Perhaps some sort of union?

Regardless, the first part of addressing a problem is acknowledging it's existence.
It's pure gaslighting, IMO, for people to default to "muh free market", as if there is anything remotely resembling this in academia. Of course they're all up in arms over all sorts of discrimination, some real, some fabricated, but when it comes to political ostracisation that suits them, it's just the "free market", bruh.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hardly surprising. Academia is insufferably left-wing.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Funny how left-wing academics aren't so happy to say "it's just the free market", when they perceive that women or ethnic minorities are under-represented.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (173)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (512)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (390)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (487)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (170)
4.85%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (213)
6.08%
Loneliness (298)
8.5%
Financial worries (128)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (139)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (159)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (195)
5.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (315)
8.98%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (327)
9.33%

Watched Threads