The Student Room Group

calories and a deficit

I'm new to this whole workout/fitness thing and have a few questions as i cant find any answers.

If i eat 2000 calories a day and i burn 1500 from walking or some form of daily exercise, would that be good for weight loss or would i have to eat less than 2000 calories and burn more than that amount eaten?
Reply 1
In a sense, yes as your calories in < calories out but your making the mistake of it all being burnt due to exercise as burning that amount through exercise is probs impossible and if you try, you'll probs die quickly. instead your body has metabolic processes ( eg respiration) which naturally burns calories and to maintain weight, the average man needs like 2100 calories as there body burns about the same amount, hence no growth but no loss. if you want to lose weight your calorie intake < calorie outtake which can be done by taking (probs for someone just starting a diet) about 400/500 calories off their maintenance calories either by eating less or burning the calories through exercise or both. You can find an estimate of maintenance calories by a TDEE calculator online but it isn't accurate.

Lmk if you don't understand anything.
Yeah you burn calories just by living through your basal metabolic rate and total daily energy expenditure, for example breathing walking and living, your TDEE is based on your height, gender and age and once your find out your TDEE you can take away 500 calories a day and lose 1lb a week
Original post by mason.taylor.16
Yeah you burn calories just by living through your basal metabolic rate and total daily energy expenditure, for example breathing walking and living, your TDEE is based on your height, gender and age and once your find out your TDEE you can take away 500 calories a day and lose 1lb a week

you mean bmr is based on height genger age etc but you can control the other 3 factors to aid weight loss like EAT, NEAT and thermic effect of food

but ye ur right about bmr burning calories. it accounts for a huge 60% of tdee but there's not much we can do to boost metabolism

Quick Reply

Latest