Car window broken

Watch
Ivyreign
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a Mini one hatch back 2010. The driver side window is a complete joke. I press the switch to go down which it does but I have to keep my finger on it it won’t go down with one touch. Then bringing it back up is even worse, I press the button (not holding it) it will go up halfway then will go back down another quarter. I press it once again and it goes up 3/4 then goes all the way back down and it does this all the time. When I keep my finger on the button to go up it does the same thing but after a few tries it does go up eventually.

It’s just a pain in the arse, any ideas how to fix or should I take it to the garage?

The window squeaks really bad as well which is even more annoying.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there, sorry to hear about this problem.

When anything goes wrong with the electrics in a car, there are a number of possible causes, so it can be difficult to sort it yourself. You will need to take it to a mechanic/garage. Just be careful who you select cos there are some dodgy guys around. Don't take it the wrong way, but assuming your name is Ivy, be even more careful cos some garage staff assume that women do not know much about cars, and try to make out it is a big thing, whereas in reality it might be something easy to fix like a fuse [just to charge you more].

Try and go somewhere recommended by a friend or relative from first-hand experience.

Best wishes & be safe!
M
Ivyreign
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi there, sorry to hear about this problem.

When anything goes wrong with the electrics in a car, there are a number of possible causes, so it can be difficult to sort it yourself. You will need to take it to a mechanic/garage. Just be careful who you select cos there are some dodgy guys around. Don't take it the wrong way, but assuming your name is Ivy, be even more careful cos some garage staff assume that women do not know much about cars, and try to make out it is a big thing, whereas in reality it might be something easy to fix like a fuse [just to charge you more].

Try and go somewhere recommended by a friend or relative from first-hand experience.

Best wishes & be safe!
M
Hey thanks for your response, correct I don’t know much about cars. I’ll get my dad to come with me he doesn’t know much about the inner workings but he sells cars at his dealership so I imagine he could talk his way like he knows what he’s talking about aha.

Do you think it’s just something small like a fuse then? How much roughly will that cost?
emmyemm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
Hey thanks for your response, correct I don’t know much about cars. I’ll get my dad to come with me he doesn’t know much about the inner workings but he sells cars at his dealership so I imagine he could talk his way like he knows what he’s talking about aha.

Do you think it’s just something small like a fuse then? How much roughly will that cost?
A small fuse probably won't cost much but it might not even be a fuse. Cost depends on where you go to get it fixed and the parts that might be required.

I suggest maybe searching on ebay for electrical parts for a mini window to see what kind of price you are looking for in terms of price.
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a Mini one hatch back 2010. The driver side window is a complete joke. I press the switch to go down which it does but I have to keep my finger on it it won’t go down with one touch. Then bringing it back up is even worse, I press the button (not holding it) it will go up halfway then will go back down another quarter. I press it once again and it goes up 3/4 then goes all the way back down and it does this all the time. When I keep my finger on the button to go up it does the same thing but after a few tries it does go up eventually.

It’s just a pain in the arse, any ideas how to fix or should I take it to the garage?

The window squeaks really bad as well which is even more annoying.
That was all Greek to me. But yh take it to a garage
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The fact that the window does st [tho not what it is supposed to do ], tells me that it is probably a loose electrical component somewhere rather than a fuse - if by chance it is a fuse, it will take hardly a minute to replace, and it costs cashew nuts (- sorry I mean maybe a few pennies more than peanuts) - if your dad can locate the fuse card (I have not done it on a Mini ever - it can be in the engine compartment or below the dashboard) and if he has young eyes, he might be able to work out from the tiny writing on it which one is for the window - then it's a matter of trail and error - if a new fuse sorts it, you are laughing - o-wise it's back to garage again.

Best!
M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed