Can I challenge university exam results?

Watch
Jonasaurus13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I'm a bit hacked off, to say the least, because I've just got three out of four of my essays that I did in January, and I already knew they were being a bit harsh hearing seeing how other people reacted on the group chat, but I thought they would have, to put it nicely, marked the work properly.
Bit of context, I'm a geography student at the one and only university of manchester, and we had open book exams because of covid at home. So there's me, writing my essays, trying my best, but not giving my all because things happened and got in the way. Submitted them, Bish bash bosh, nothing to worry about. Then we get told we'll get the results in March, but not the actual marks, but the marks and feedback before ratification, which I was thinking was a bit pointless but dealt with it. Then we get told the provisional marks will be released at 2pm today: that didn't happen, the communication was messed up and three of the papers would be released at 4pm and then the other one at midnight, hence me writing this now (I was at work all day so just got in).
So, I open the essays and feedback, and my blood starts boiling. On one paper, I've been told that there's only glimpses of logic and insight but besides that I have a very basic grasp of concepts and that I need to reference the key reading (which we didn't need to if we didn't cite it). Then on another one, I'm told that I need to expand and explain basic principles because otherwise it doesn't make sense (bare in mind there was a max word count of 1200 and I hit 1199 with a bit of rephrasing), and then on the last one they said that I contradict myself and I need to stick with my argument (this infuriates me, because I was always taught to give both sides of the argument in an essay to make it a discussion, which is what the question was asking, and didn't even contradict myself, I just said that "X may not have as significant of an impact on Y if Z is taken into account" ).
I've now got three marks (ratification and moderation rarely change the marks) that I'm super disappointed in and I can't even use the feedback because, point blank, the feedback doesn't make sense in comparison to the essay and makes it seem like these markers haven't properly read it, which I hope isn't the case. The markers are said to be PhD students and not our lecturers/professors, and obviously it's all anonymous so I can't ask anyone what they meant, so I was wondering whether I could challenge the marking, seeing as I'm paying 9k for them to help me in my learning?
P. S. This bit I've left to last because eim on the fence about how it sounds, because to me it sounds petty and bigoted, but it adds more info, so I'm torn. But, before these exams, we had four pieces of examined work where I got firsts in each one, with two of these pieces being essays and I used the same technique and structure in them as I did in these exams, and I definitely did not get any where close to firsts with these exams. I know u shouldn't be angry because this is something to learn from, but it makes no sense.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check your student/course handbook for whether you can appeal grades.

If you can’t then make an appointment with your tutor to go through your essays and the feedback to try to identify how you can do better next time.

I’m a bit bewildered why you expected to get good results when you say yourself that you didn’t “give your all” when working on these exams.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should speak to your course leader - something is off here. If you got firsts previously using the same approach then your marks should not drop so dramatically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (360)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise