Please advice which Uni I should go to. ( International Student)

Watch
hahaha12121212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A little about me.I am a 19 yr brown guy looking to study eee or ce. I got accepted to the following university below and got my preferred program. Now which Uni will be good for me in terms of future career,a good healthy lifestyle and easy to make friends? I also want to know more about UK, especially leed. is that part good for brown people to live without facing racism? Please help me decide with any kind of input. Expecting answer from the locals or international students.

Note- I mentioned aus and us, though i will prefer not to study there, cause I may go there if it provides me better career in the future than the others.
UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
3)University of nottingham
4)university of greenwich
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
Australia ( rasicst country ever, prefer not to go):
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
yourdude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
bump
areej6323
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hahaha12121212)
A little about me.I am a 19 yr brown guy looking to study eee or ce. I got accepted to the following university below and got my preferred program. Now which Uni will be good for me in terms of future career,a good healthy lifestyle and easy to make friends? I also want to know more about UK, especially leed. is that part good for brown people to live without facing racism? Please help me decide with any kind of input. Expecting answer from the locals or international students.

Note- I mentioned aus and us, though i will prefer not to study there, cause I may go there if it provides me better career in the future than the others.
UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
Leeds is good, has alot of other brown/asian/ANY cultured people in. I visit it a lot and its got a lot to do and is a very vibrant city.
hahaha12121212
Rep:
?
(Original post by areej6323)
Leeds is good, has alot of other brown/asian/ANY cultured people in. I visit it a lot and its got a lot to do and is a very vibrant city.
I am planning on going to uni of leed. do you think it will be better than the other mentioned?
areej6323
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am planning on going to uni of leed. do you think it will be better than the other mentioned?
I’m abit biased because that’s the only uni I’ve been to but I think it’s good
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
Cornell is by far the most prestigious university on this list (I know a couple ethnic minority graduates from their, none have mentioned anything about feeling it is racist but it seems you feel differently)

after this Sydney, Melbourne & Nottingham are probably the next tier of prestigiousness.

your post seems to imply you are concerned that you worry about facing racism whilst attending these universities. Now im not going to pretend the West doesn’t have racists or that it would never occur whilst traveling, but on the whole and particularly at universities I don’t think there is daily racism & in fact these countries listed are typically some of the most tolerant, least prejudiced & liberal countries.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
Hiiii I'll try my best to give you a fair representation of the UK places you mentioned. My advice might vary depending on the degree that you choose, I'm not too certain on what the rankings are for engineering degrees.
1) Cardiff university: It's a decent university, its in the Russell Group (basically it has good research facilities for STEM subjects) and in one of the major cities in Wales. In terms of diversity, Wales isn't as diverse as other parts of the uk- but Cardiff will probably be more diverse since it's a big city. Cardiff is one of the top 20 safest places to live In the UK, so I reckon it would be good to live there as a student.
2) Uni of Leeds: Its also a good uni and in the Russell Group, which I think will be good for an engineering degree as mentioned above. It's more diverse than Cardiff I think, and Leeds is one of the most diverse cities outside of London which might provide you with some reassurance. All of the universities will have diversity statistics on their websites by the way, if you are interested. Leeds has also got pretty good nightlife, which is good for students (if that's what you're into!)
3) Nottingham isn't Russell Group but is still pretty highly ranked in their STEM departments, I cant comment on the other faculties because I don't know much about them. I've heard from friends at Nottingham that it isn't as diverse as some other universities (I'm not sure if they are joking a bit or not), but they seem to enjoy the university experience. I've only been to Nottingham once but I thought it looked really nice.
4) Uni of greenwich isn't in the Russell group either, I don't know much about this university so I can't really comment on it.
5)Queens uni Belfast: This is in the Russell Group. Belfast is one of the major cities in Ireland though Northern Ireland (compared to the rest of the UK) isn't very diverse. It shouldn't stop you from going there if its your favourite university though, and just because there are a lower % of BME students, it doesn't mean that there is more racism, this is just the BME statistics.

I'm not sure about the other universities as I have never been to Canada, Australia or the US. I would recommend looking at all of the online open days that you can find, and looking at diversity statistics if this is something which is important to you. Also look at the prices- some universities might have better scholarship programmes so would work out cheaper for you.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
Hiiii I'll try my best to give you a fair representation of the UK places you mentioned. My advice might vary depending on the degree that you choose, I'm not too certain on what the rankings are for engineering degrees.
1) Cardiff university: It's a decent university, its in the Russell Group (basically it has good research facilities for STEM subjects) and in one of the major cities in Wales. In terms of diversity, Wales isn't as diverse as other parts of the uk- but Cardiff will probably be more diverse since it's a big city. Cardiff is one of the top 20 safest places to live In the UK, so I reckon it would be good to live there as a student.
2) Uni of Leeds: Its also a good uni and in the Russell Group, which I think will be good for an engineering degree as mentioned above. It's more diverse than Cardiff I think, and Leeds is one of the most diverse cities outside of London which might provide you with some reassurance. All of the universities will have diversity statistics on their websites by the way, if you are interested. Leeds has also got pretty good nightlife, which is good for students (if that's what you're into!)
3) Nottingham isn't Russell Group but is still pretty highly ranked in their STEM departments, I cant comment on the other faculties because I don't know much about them. I've heard from friends at Nottingham that it isn't as diverse as some other universities (I'm not sure if they are joking a bit or not), but they seem to enjoy the university experience. I've only been to Nottingham once but I thought it looked really nice.
4) Uni of greenwich isn't in the Russell group either, I don't know much about this university so I can't really comment on it.
5)Queens uni Belfast: This is in the Russell Group. Belfast is one of the major cities in Ireland though Northern Ireland (compared to the rest of the UK) isn't very diverse. It shouldn't stop you from going there if its your favourite university though, and just because there are a lower % of BME students, it doesn't mean that there is more racism, this is just the BME statistics.

I'm not sure about the other universities as I have never been to Canada, Australia or the US. I would recommend looking at all of the online open days that you can find, and looking at diversity statistics if this is something which is important to you. Also look at the prices- some universities might have better scholarship programmes so would work out cheaper for you.
Nottingham is a Russell Group member (of the British universities listed above it had the highest score on the last REF power index) although that said being a RG isn’t that important for taught degrees.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
hahaha12121212
Rep:
?
(Original post by tipexmaster25)

Thanks for the feedback. helped a lot. I got scholarship of 5k pound from cardiff. for now , i have my eye on leed, cardiff and nottingham for UK.

(Original post by mnot)
Cornell is by far the most prestigious university on this list (I know a couple ethnic minority graduates from their, none have mentioned anything about feeling it is racist but it seems you feel differently)

after this Sydney, Melbourne & Nottingham are probably the next tier of prestigiousness.

your post seems to imply you are concerned that you worry about facing racism whilst attending these universities. Now im not going to pretend the West doesn’t have racists or that it would never occur whilst traveling, but on the whole and particularly at universities I don’t think there is daily racism & in fact these countries listed are typically some of the most tolerant, least prejudiced & liberal countries.
i would probably not go to cornell, cause even after their financial aid, it cost the highest among other unis.

'I don’t think there is daily racism & in fact these countries listed are typically some of the most tolerant, least prejudiced & liberal countries.' - I think you are wrong here. Not sure about other country but for Australia I can blindly say that they are racist. I went there for a week holiday, and it was my most unconformable travel ever, starting from flying qantas to coming back home. It felt like that, they feel proud being racist.
Last edited by hahaha12121212; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback. helped a lot. I got scholarship of 5k pound from cardiff. Till now if, i have my eye on leed and cardiff for UK.

i would probably not go to cornell, cause even after their financial aid, it cost the highest among other unis.

'I don’t think there is daily racism & in fact these countries listed are typically some of the most tolerant, least prejudiced & liberal countries.' - I think you are wrong here. Not sure about other country but for Australia I can blindly say that they are racist. I went there for a week holiday, and it was my most unconformable travel ever, starting from flying qantas to coming back home. It felt like that, they feel proud being racist.
Australia is admittedly the one country I have no direct experience with, but certainly for the UK my above comment, the US is more variable but I can’t imagine Cornell is attracting that type of ignorance tbh.
hahaha12121212
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Australia is admittedly the one country I have no direct experience with, but certainly for the UK my above comment, the US is more variable but I can’t imagine Cornell is attracting that type of ignorance tbh.
cornell is asking for 45k usd per year!!! whereas i can complete 2 year with that money in any of the mentioned unis. So yea, even if its ivy league, i think its not worth it. I just applied there in hope of a good financial aid, but didnt got it.
hello5789
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
out of the uk universities you mentioned, university of nottingham is the best in terms of academics/ prestige as well as diversity. Nottingham as a city as well as a university is very diverse, a range of people from a range of different backgrounds.

university of leeds is also a good university, not really sure about diversity - I think on balance Nottingham may be more diverse? if possible try to attend virtual open days to see which uni you prefer
Last edited by hello5789; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
cornell is asking for 45k usd per year!!! whereas i can complete 2 year with that money in any of the mentioned unis. So yea, even if its ivy league, i think its not worth it. I just applied there in hope of a good financial aid, but didnt got it.
If the financials are a concern then you are right not to attend. It charges an arm & a leg, its very reasonable to pursue a university which offers an affordable package. I was simply listing it as the most prestigious university on the list, which I think is fair to say.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
where are you from? like what kind of passport do you have and what are your plans for after graduation; are you planning to go back to your home country? cuz if you go back chances are good your future employer won't care what university you attended; they wont know anything about it except for where it is, if they even know that. i would say that's true for all those unis with the exception of Cornell and if you have the chance to go and mostly worried about your career i'd say Cornell is the way to go.

i've lived in three of the cities you listed and three of the countries (UK, Canada and Oz). i would say you definitely will find Calgary boring, so if you go choose Toronto. Sydney is great but expensive; definitely more racist than Canada but don't let that in itself stop you. i had friends from all over the globe when i lived there (literally). i haven't lived in the UK cities you mentioned but i would vote for UK as it's a beautiful here and travel if you're into that is much(!!) cheaper. you need to think about what you want to do after grad more tho and immigration rules predominantly cuz they will vary with each country, unless your plan is just to go back home.
hahaha12121212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
where are you from? like what kind of passport do you have and what are your plans for after graduation; are you planning to go back to your home country? cuz if you go back chances are good your future employer won't care what university you attended; they wont know anything about it except for where it is, if they even know that. i would say that's true for all those unis with the exception of Cornell and if you have the chance to go and mostly worried about your career i'd say Cornell is the way to go.

i've lived in three of the cities you listed and three of the countries (UK, Canada and Oz). i would say you definitely will find Calgary boring, so if you go choose Toronto. Sydney is great but expensive; definitely more racist than Canada but don't let that in itself stop you. i had friends from all over the globe when i lived there (literally). i haven't lived in the UK cities you mentioned but i would vote for UK as it's a beautiful here and travel if you're into that is much(!!) cheaper. you need to think about what you want to do after grad more tho and immigration rules predominantly cuz they will vary with each country, unless your plan is just to go back home.
I plan to settle in the country I study if i get a good job or see a future there. Thats also another reason to filter out cornell, cause US immigration process is a long never ending journey. Their companies will treat you like slave but you wont be able to do anything because of the h1b visa. Whereas I think UK and Canada is flexible when it comes to work visa.

'definitely more racist than Canada' - wow didnt knew that. i thought they are the most humble people in the world.
Last edited by hahaha12121212; 1 month ago
ry7xsfa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Generally from what I've heard, I think you'd definitely be correct on Cornell. From speaking to current US undergrads, college campuses tend to be pretty liberal, even if the campus is in a more conservative area. That's not to say that there aren't any conservatives/racists/any hateful people on campus, but it's usually not as bad on campus (though off-campus is something to look at too). Idk much about Ithaca, but generally I think New York is more liberal-leaning, but I'm not entirely sure how that applies upstate.

Overall, I definitely have a bias towards the US, but given what OP has said, that won't be happening. Personally, I firmed Nottingham for CS last year. I really liked the campus, location, and faculty. I don't know how this kind of thing will work with COVID, but it was their offer-holder day that sold me. I didn't apply to any of the others, but did consider Leeds. Ended up deciding against it partly because I needed somewhere with slightly lower entry requirements for safety.
Last edited by ry7xsfa; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will try and help you slightly. Cardiff is quite a diverse city. It has 20% BAME as against 6% throughout Wales. It probably isnt as diverse as Leeds but as I say a fair proportion is BAME.

The reality is that racism goes on everywhere although the likelyhood is that you will never come across it.

Cardiff certainly is a happening city. International football, rugby and cricket takes place there as well as local teams. It has an indoor arena, a concert hall and a theatre and a quite large and modern shopping centre.
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
I plan to settle in the country I study if i get a good job or see a future there. Thats also another reason to filter out cornell, cause US immigration process is a long never ending journey. Their companies will treat you like slave but you wont be able to do anything because of the h1b visa. Whereas I think UK and Canada is flexible when it comes to work visa.

'definitely more racist than Canada' - wow didnt knew that. i thought they are the most humble people in the world.
hmm...i suspect Canada would be easier to immigrate to than the UK as you can apply for a 3 year post graduate work permit, as opposed to UK which is only good for two years; mind you may not make a difference if UK permanent residencey only requires you to be in the UK for five years, i'd have to google it.

i don't know if you're being sarcastic in your second paragraph lol . two reasons 1) Canada is very politically correct and just more liberal, and 2) everything in Oz is just a bit behind and bit more sheltered. not saying it's filled with racists so you should worry if you go; and like i said i had friends from all over the place including Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Kenya, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Sweden, England and the US. but i have on more than one occasion heard people openly whinging at the pub racist things i dare not say that you wouldn't hear in Canada.
Niaellakhadime
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
Hi,
I would recommend Leeds or Nottingham as both are academically good and ethnically diverse; they're great student towns and you're likely to settle in well in either of these places.
Best of luck with your choices!
WhyJustRun?
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

UK ( prefer to go ):
1)cardiff uniersity
2)university of leeds
5)queens uni belfast
Canada ( not sure ):
1) uni of calgary
2) ryerson
1) Uni of sydney
2) uni of melbourne
3) monash uni
USA ( same here racist):
1) uni of texas dallas
2) uni of south florida.
3) cornell uni
Based on the comments, if you're concerned about racism, I would also not suggest UCalgary. It's smack dab in the middle of oil country. We joke that Alberta is Canada's Texas, but with the history of right-wing governments and whining about the decline of oil, this comparison is quite real. This is exacerbated by recent media coverage of a string of attacks against Muslim women in the province. It's not a huge issue, but it's there. The university populations tend to be much more accepting anyways.
As for Ryerson, it's a lower tier school so I'd make sure it's well known for the program you're in as the name isn't well known. The university is currently undergoing some criticism as it's named after one of the architects of the residential school system in Canada which was a major player in the assimilation of the indigenous population into European culture. This was recently declared a genocide. That said, it's in downtown Toronto which is a very very diverse city and you should have no problems there. It is right beside UToronto though which is the better known and prettier university so there's sometimes an unfortunate stigma of being a second-class student at Ryerson (not always but sometimes).
It's unfortunate about Australia really, because that's where the best universities on your list seem to be. Cornell seems good on paper, but from what I hear (from a postdoc I work with who got her PhD there) it's resting on its laurels. Not to mention, it's criminally expensive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads