The Student Room Group

should I change my subjects or am I overthinking it?

Hi! Hope whoever’s reading this is well. Basically for my a levels options, I’ve chosen Spanish, Biology and Psychology.
Before I picked these, I was overthinking a whole lot and wasn’t really sure what to pick. Ngl, biology was pretty much a last minute decision.
Anyways, now that I’ve applied to the colleges and had a few conditional offers back (yay!) I’m thinking about it a lot more and I’m not sure if they’re the best ones to pick. Essentially im really unsure about what type of careers these would let me get into. Particularly for Spanish, it’s my favourite subject (plus strongest subject atm) and I really want to do it, but I’m just not sure how useful it’s gonna be and what I can get out of it, or if I’m gonna regret spending two years on it when I could’ve maybe picked a more useful subject that will help me in my career.
The problem is I don’t know what career I want to go into right now, my mind pretty much changes every month lol.
If I pick these subjects, what type of careers do u think I can get into, and also are these subjects a good combination, or should I consider changing them?
Thank you, any help is really appreciated! :smile:
Original post by #anonymous_user
Hi! Hope whoever’s reading this is well. Basically for my a levels options, I’ve chosen Spanish, Biology and Psychology.
Before I picked these, I was overthinking a whole lot and wasn’t really sure what to pick. Ngl, biology was pretty much a last minute decision.
Anyways, now that I’ve applied to the colleges and had a few conditional offers back (yay!) I’m thinking about it a lot more and I’m not sure if they’re the best ones to pick. Essentially im really unsure about what type of careers these would let me get into. Particularly for Spanish, it’s my favourite subject (plus strongest subject atm) and I really want to do it, but I’m just not sure how useful it’s gonna be and what I can get out of it, or if I’m gonna regret spending two years on it when I could’ve maybe picked a more useful subject that will help me in my career.
The problem is I don’t know what career I want to go into right now, my mind pretty much changes every month lol.
If I pick these subjects, what type of careers do u think I can get into, and also are these subjects a good combination, or should I consider changing them?
Thank you, any help is really appreciated! :smile:

Hi!

Personally, I would choose subjects that you enjoy most and feel you are good at. These are usually the ones where a career at the end will mean a lot more to you.

Spanish you can apply to any career and is a really good life skill. In my experience employers like you having a language, especially if you say you enjoy it and are good at it.
Psychology too, there are so many options. Whether it be social care, criminologist, working with children. I enjoyed this subject at A Levels and included a lot of biology.
Biology is good for science careers. Like being a physiotherapist.

I wouldn't worry about changing your mind. If you decide a month down the line, most colleges (like mine) let you change. You've still got plenty of time really. Speak to a member of staff at the college to help you decide, I found this really helpful at my college. Also, ask to speak with your tutor at your school, as they should be able to set some time aside to speak about this. The school or college should also have a careers office to go and speak to and this should be really useful for you.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Personally, I would choose subjects that you enjoy most and feel you are good at. These are usually the ones where a career at the end will mean a lot more to you.

Spanish you can apply to any career and is a really good life skill. In my experience employers like you having a language, especially if you say you enjoy it and are good at it.
Psychology too, there are so many options. Whether it be social care, criminologist, working with children. I enjoyed this subject at A Levels and included a lot of biology.
Biology is good for science careers. Like being a physiotherapist.

I wouldn't worry about changing your mind. If you decide a month down the line, most colleges (like mine) let you change. You've still got plenty of time really. Speak to a member of staff at the college to help you decide, I found this really helpful at my college. Also, ask to speak with your tutor at your school, as they should be able to set some time aside to speak about this. The school or college should also have a careers office to go and speak to and this should be really useful for you.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey Chloe, thank you so much for your time and help! I’ll definitely try speaking to the career advisor once school opens next week, and maybe one of my subject teachers. I’m not sure how to ask any of the colleges for specific advice yet because I still haven’t accepted any of the offers, but I’ll have a look. Thank you so much again, have a nice week! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest