gwen05
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

I'm in year 11 and in uni i want to study law (im not sure which type yet). However, im slightly confused on what subjects to pick at a level, i have to pick three.

- English lit
- history
- sociology
-psychology
- politics??

I've heard that if you want to study law at uni, its not good to pick law at a level.
I think i may possibly enjoy history over english lit but im not sure :/ and i would probably only pick one or the other, not both, but again not sure.
i think i would prefer and enjoy sociology over psychology, but maybe psychology would be better for what i want to do??
BTW im predicted 9 in english, 8/9 in history

Please if anyone has been on the same path, or knows what to do, or has any advice, please help!!

Thank you!!
Last edited by gwen05; 1 month ago
Charlotte8378
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gwen05)
Hi!

I'm in year 11 and in uni i want to study law (im not sure which type yet). However, im slightly confused on what subjects to pick at a level, i have to pick three.

- English lit
- history
- sociology
-psychology
- politics??

I've heard that if you want to study law at uni, its not good to pick law at a level.
I think i may possibly enjoy history over english lit but im not sure :/ and i would probably only pick one or the other, not both, but again not sure.
i think i would prefer and enjoy sociology over psychology, but maybe psychology would be better for what i want to do??
BTW im predicted 9 in english, 8/9 in history

Please if anyone has been on the same path, or knows what to do, or has any advice, please help!!

Thank you!!
Hi! For law there aren't any specific requirements but universities usually like a combination of English, maths and history. So out of your options it would be good to take english and history for sure and as long as you have two traditional subjects like them two, your third one can be anything. I take psychology A level and Id highly recommend it, definitely take a look on whichever exam board your sixth form/college offers and make sure you're interested in the topics. I think psychology is viewed as more difficult than sociology and if you do more research you may have a preference
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are no specific subjects required for LLB Law.
No Universities 'prefer English, maths and history' - the advice above is entirely incorrect.

Its useful to have done an essay-based subject such as English, History, Politics etc - but this is not essential.
Law A level - the idea that leading Universities 'don't like it' for LLB is also incorrect. See : https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/content...AW-SUPPORT.PDF

What Universities DO want is high grades - so choose 3 subjects you know you will enjoy and therefore where are likely to get A grades.
gwen05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte8378)
Hi! For law there aren't any specific requirements but universities usually like a combination of English, maths and history. So out of your options it would be good to take english and history for sure and as long as you have two traditional subjects like them two, your third one can be anything. I take psychology A level and Id highly recommend it, definitely take a look on whichever exam board your sixth form/college offers and make sure you're interested in the topics. I think psychology is viewed as more difficult than sociology and if you do more research you may have a preference
Thank you so much for replying!!
Regarding psychology, is it more maths/science based, because i've heard that it is?
gwen05
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
No Universities 'prefer English, maths and history' - the advice above is entirely incorrect.

Its useful to have done an essay-based subject such as English, History, Politics etc - but this is not essential.
Law A level - the idea that leading Universities 'don't like it' for LLB is also incorrect. See : https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/content...AW-SUPPORT.PDF

What Universities DO want is high grades - so choose 3 subjects you know you will enjoy and therefore where are likely to get A grades.
Thanks for your reply!
Do you suggest picking BOTH english lit and history, as im worried picking both would be too difficult, and that they both offer the same skills required for law anyway?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply!
Do you suggest picking BOTH english lit and history, as im worried picking both would be too difficult, and that they both offer the same skills required for law anyway?
Both would be fine - it isnt just about 'what I need for Law', its about doing subjects that interest you and that you will enjoy.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply!
You don't need to do both, but you can if you want.

Just pick whichever one you think you will find easiest or enjoy most.

All the subjects you listed would be fine for a Law degree, including Law A level which is neither particularly liked nor disliked in this context.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Politics would be handy for studying public law in first year as a lot of that is about government.

Law a level may show you that you enjoy law or do not. But you can just read books to see if the subject interests you rather than study it for 2 years then another 3!
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The universities have said they do not mind but really it is much much better to do 2 if not three facilitating subjects. It also looks better to employers too. I did English, History and German ( three facilitating subjects). English and History are traditionally good for law as law degrees require good English, writing essays etc as does a legal career.
Of the other possibles I would do psychology or politics for the third one and if possible a 4th at AS level in lower sixth if that is still possible. Some do 4 A levels but do not do that if it will affect how many As you get.

(You do not need maths and indeed unless you are vry good at maths it is best avoided as people tend to be really good A star material or gets Ds and Es which would then close off law - good law firms want AAB or more in good A levels)
Copasetic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really doesn’t matter. It’s whatever you are most likely to get your best grades from. My eldest is a Solicitor and studies A level law. At open days they said that they didn’t not like law, they just didn’t particularly favour it any more than any other subject. My daughter was good at Maths so that was an easy A for her, and they said they did like Maths because it showed an analytical mind. In an ideal world they would have a subject showing an analytical mind, something showing essay writing abilities and another. You don’t need this to get an offer though and the biggest onus is just on getting good grades (AAB minimum) and a maximum of 1 soft A level (ideally none). It is very important to get work experience though.
E3student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best advice I can give someone who is unsure of what a levels to pick, is pick the subjects you’ll enjoy! A-levels are hard work and require a lot of extra work than just in the classroom so make sure you’re doing subjects that you’re happy to spend extra time working on. Don’t pick something because you think it’ll benefit you at uni, considering law doesn’t have specific requirements.
Charlotte8378
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for replying!!
Regarding psychology, is it more maths/science based, because i've heard that it is?
The maths involved is very basic, if you're confident with working percentages out then definitely don't worry about it. There is a topic called biopsychology but all the concepts in it are nowhere near in the same detail as biology a level. If you don't like science then sociology might be more suited to you as it is very similar to psychology apart from the science aspect
Charlotte8378
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)

I never said 'prefer', i said they usually like english, maths and history but it obviously wouldn't matter if you didn't take them
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't matter, pick the one you will enjoy and get good grades in.

Re: A-level Law, read point 7 in this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6247090. The whole 'A-level Law is less preferred' was a meme because Cambridge and LSE had it as a less preferred choice several years ago. They don't anymore, and no other university I'm aware of has said anything else on the matter.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
TomHibbs12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there, final-year law student here.

I worried about this a lot, but there's no need to. You should be focused on picking three subjects that you like, and that you'll do well in. That should be your driving factor. I wonder whether it's better to pick what might be considered standard, 'facilitating' subjects (English, History, maths, sciences etc. - see here: https://successatschool.org/advicede...ating-subjects), but not all your choices need to be like that - and, in any case, the grade is more important.

To sum up, just pick the three you'll get the best grade in. If you're really unsure - go for both English and History, as they're both 'facilitating' subjects. But that's not essential, by any means. (Remember, you can always call a couple of university admissions departments too.)

Hope that helps! I did English, Maths, Chemistry - if that's of any interest.
gwen05
Rep:
?
(Original post by 17Student17)
The universities have said they do not mind but really it is much much better to do 2 if not three facilitating subjects. It also looks better to employers too. I did English, History and German ( three facilitating subjects). English and History are traditionally good for law as law degrees require good English, writing essays etc as does a legal career.
Of the other possibles I would do psychology or politics for the third one and if possible a 4th at AS level in lower sixth if that is still possible. Some do 4 A levels but do not do that if it will affect how many As you get.

(You do not need maths and indeed unless you are vry good at maths it is best avoided as people tend to be really good A star material or gets Ds and Es which would then close off law - good law firms want AAB or more in good A levels)
Thanks for your reply!

Would you say doing both english lit and history is difficult, as ive heard it is. Im good at both subjects and am getting good grades, but im worried that they may be too difficult (doing both). Also, do history and english provide the same skills (i.e essay writing, good english etc), becasue if so then maybe i should only pick one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed